Ok, give it to me straight...

It's a bad week to be shipping anything this week with a large damaging storm affecting the east and south. With so much disruption in traffic, ground and air, I am not surprised they are delayed. The grow gel will help.

As for Priority vs Express shipping, express can cost 3 times as much and does not guarantee they will arrive overnight. Sometimes Express can take up to 3 days.

Well at least you have a good plan if they don't survive. Hopefully you find four (or more) hungry and thirst little ones!
I also hope you can sleep tonight LOL!

What hatchery did you go through, if I might ask?
This case sounds like it was a bit of both the hatchery as well as the PO. USPS is the ONLY mail carrier that will accept live poultry, so the only alternative is customer pick-up.
It has been a LONG night, I've been checking the tracking periodically with no change
caf.gif
so either the tracking isn't being updated, or they're not coming again today
hit.gif

They were ordered from McMurry in Iowa, but were shipped from San Jose California. I wasn't as worried about them coming from Iowa, California though is more than twice as far. I was looking back at my notes from the calls that I have made to McMurray and see that before they were able to provide the tracking number they gave me the expected arrival dates. They shipped monday and the girl told me they'd arrive first thing wednesday, but no later than Friday morning. She gave me the dates rather than the days so I didn't catch that it could take 4 days for them to get here. IMO they should only ship overnight. I know that some have good luck with them arriving alive after 2 days, but I have also read the horror stories of most of them being DOA. You'd think, or at least I do, that in the long run it'd be cheaper to ship quicker rather than having to resend chicks/ducks because they die during transport. I will add that I am not bashing McMurray at all. This is my first, and probably last, experience with mail order animals. I have read other hatchery websites and this is the norm.

It has been a LONG night, I've been checking the tracking periodically with no change
caf.gif
so either the tracking isn't being updated, or they're not coming again today
hit.gif

They were ordered from McMurry in Iowa, but were shipped from San Jose California. I wasn't as worried about them coming from Iowa, California though is more than twice as far. I was looking back at my notes from the calls that I have made to McMurray and see that before they were able to provide the tracking number they gave me the expected arrival dates. They shipped monday and the girl told me they'd arrive first thing wednesday, but no later than Friday morning. She gave me the dates rather than the days so I didn't catch that it could take 4 days for them to get here. IMO they should only ship overnight. I know that some have good luck with them arriving alive after 2 days, but I have also read the horror stories of most of them being DOA. You'd think, or at least I do, that in the long run it'd be cheaper to ship quicker rather than having to resend chicks/ducks because they die during transport. I will add that I am not bashing McMurray at all. This is my first, and probably last, experience with mail order animals. I have read other hatchery websites and this is the norm.
Wow I am shocked I have ordered form MM for my entire flock, and meat birds! They are usually so good, ALL of my babies have arrived active and healthy. Of 100+ I have only lost one (impacted crop before I knew what to do) and had one with a genetic issue.

Have you called MM to let them know of the situation?

Wow I am shocked I have ordered form MM for my entire flock, and meat birds! They are usually so good, ALL of my babies have arrived active and healthy. Of 100+ I have only lost one (impacted crop before I knew what to do) and had one with a genetic issue.

Have you called MM to let them know of the situation?
Yes Tara, I just spoke with MM. They were very nice and offered to send replacements. But, when I asked for them to be overnighted or at least 2 days express they said no. I did offer to pay more for the additional shipping costs. So, they're going to refund my Sister for the cost of the Pekins that didn't survive.

Yes Tara, I just spoke with MM. They were very nice and offered to send replacements. But, when I asked for them to be overnighted or at least 2 days express they said no. I did offer to pay more for the additional shipping costs. So, they're going to refund my Sister for the cost of the Pekins that didn't survive.
I think with the weather most of the USA is experiencing there should be time limits on when to send live animals through the mail. Like waiting till it's warmer all over the USA. might save a few lives. Hatcheries are in business to make money so it probably doesn't bother them at all to hear of losses, but for those of us who love our animals it's just too heartbreaking to wait excitedly for our little ones and open the box and find some or all dead. A life is a life no matter what species.

Hatcheries like Murray and Meyer that specialize in chickens and not waterfowl drop ship ducks, geese, etc. from Metzer Farms. In the future, you need to order your waterfowl from a hatchery that is closer to you that specializes in Waterfowl.

Hatcheries like Murray and Meyer that specialize in chickens and not waterfowl drop ship ducks, geese, etc. from Metzer Farms. In the future, you need to order your waterfowl from a hatchery that is closer to you that specializes in Waterfowl.

Yes, you're exactly right. Neither my sister (she lives in boston) or I realized they were coming from California. Even though I don't think anyone should be shipping live animals in this weather. I'm no expert but both of the ducks appeared to have died from dehydration.

Last edited:
And I was surprised when I ordered from Meyer Hatchery. I ordered from them because they were the closest hatchery to me that I knew about. I offered to come pick up the ducklings, they said they don't do that.

Then, the ducklings came from Chula Vista, California.
ep.gif

And I was surprised when I ordered from Meyer Hatchery. I ordered from them because they were the closest hatchery to me that I knew about. I offered to come pick up the ducklings, they said they don't do that.

Then, the ducklings came from Chula Vista, California.
ep.gif
Probably the same place as mine Chualar California was on the tracking.

Back
Top Bottom