Waiting on ducklings!

Schfam

Chirping
Jun 16, 2022
I’m waiting on a couple Pekin ducklings I ordered from McMurray Hatchery. I’m kinda freaking out! I’ve never ordered live animals before. They shipped Tuesday evening and are guaranteed to arrive in 48-72 hours. However, the tracking has not updated and still says “shipping label created”. I talked to the hatchery and was assured they did ship, that tracking is just “stuck” and they will arrive today or tomorrow. I’m so concerned for their well-being! We are in the middle of a heat wave. I really wish I could see where they were. I called the post office and the girl I spoke too could see the same thing in tracking as me. Anyone else been here and know the anxiety of waiting on their arrival?!

I have some Runners coming from Metzers next week could be shipped monday -Wed, Nervous nelly here too.

Will the PO call you when they arrive? they are supposed to.

I had 15 chicks shipped during an intense heat wave about 8 weeks ago and was very nervous I would have some dead upon arrival but all 15 were in good shape with no loses during the last 8 weeks so fingers crossed for you. It's always pins and needles till you get them in hand.

Yes, they said they would call! I stopped by earlier in the week to ask some questions, and I called today. I’m contemplating stopping by again 😂

These are for my 11yr old son so that adds another layer of omg I hope they arrive safely 🤪

I hope your shipment goes smoothly and they arrive safely!

Please keep us update on when they arrive. The last 2 times I used a hatchery[2017-2019] the PO called me by 7am to let me know I could pick up the box of chicks-ducklings , I sure hope you hear soon.

I totally know that anxiety - I feel like that every time, and also have stopped into the post office to ask early. Your tracking info will probably show when it's been delivered to the post office, then just show up that day as soon as they open and badger them. That's what I do. Do you have experience with Pekins? If not, the biggest thing to know is they grow super fast as they are bred to be meat birds, and sometimes their bodies can't quite keep up, so they easily develop leg problems. The way to avoid this is make sure you have a duckling feed with niacin, and also sprinkle extra brewer's yeast or nutritional yeast on top. If you see any problems at all start to develop you'll want to start them on liquid vitamin B complex (says injectable but it's for oral) ASAP. Every spring there are loads of people on BYC that have trouble with their pekins, that is why I mention it to you now, so you can prevent any problems! Pekins are very sweet ducks. I hope you enjoy them!

They are here!!! I got a call just a few minutes after posting, not from my local post office but from the distribution center about 25 minutes away. I ran out the door to get them in time to be back to get the kids off the bus. Both ducklings seem healthy and lively! 🩷

I totally know that anxiety - I feel like that every time, and also have stopped into the post office to ask early. Your tracking info will probably show when it's been delivered to the post office, then just show up that day as soon as they open and badger them. That's what I do. Do you have experience with Pekins? If not, the biggest thing to know is they grow super fast as they are bred to be meat birds, and sometimes their bodies can't quite keep up, so they easily develop leg problems. The way to avoid this is make sure you have a duckling feed with niacin, and also sprinkle extra brewer's yeast or nutritional yeast on top. If you see any problems at all start to develop you'll want to start them on liquid vitamin B complex (says injectable but it's for oral) ASAP. Every spring there are loads of people on BYC that have trouble with their pekins, that is why I mention it to you now, so you can prevent any problems! Pekins are very sweet ducks. I hope you enjoy them!
Thank you!! This is my first foray into ducks. We have chickens. I’m feeding them Blue Seal multi flock crumbles, the feed store recommended this and said it should have all the nutrients?

Looks like that does have niacin added - I would just add a little of the brewer's or nutritional yeast sprinkled on top. Pekins just seem to need extra! There is a whole thread about niacin deficiency pinned at the top of the duck forum. Also, unlike chickens, after the first few days they will need to have water deep enough to dip their head and clean their nares, but not deep enough to fall into and drown. Enjoy your babies!

IMG_1493.jpeg

Here they are!! Very happily eating and drinking!

I will be adjusting their space and feeders/waterworks as needed. I will start adding some yeast. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom