Ok, how do i get them to leave the coop?

wartrek79

Songster
13 Years
Mar 15, 2008
Missouri
I see alot of messages asking about getting them back into the coop, but i can't seem to get mine to leave the coop for more than a few minutes. SILLY CHICKENS!
lau.gif

And I thought I was the only person with this problem. I let mine out of the coop and around 7:30 pm, they are fussing to get back in their coop. I have 30 !!!! They love to huddle up and sleep in a pile.

How old are the chickens?

You could try putting scratch(or any other treats) in the yard so they want to be the first one out. LOL. If there food in water are in the coop, they may not see any reason to come out. Couch potato chickens!

-Kim

Usually when they are younger, in the absence of older birds, they tend to stick close to the coop if not in it. Mine were hatched in late February and they are just now venturing out of the coop, and it's only because they are following the adult trio out and about.

Maybe you just need to give them some more time to grow up and become more courageous. Enjoy their little timid selves while you can, a few more weeks and for the rest of their lives you'll be running around trying to catch them again.

They'll come out on their own time. You can encourage it with treats, but for the most part they'll be timid and shy for now.

-Kim

Back
Top Bottom