OK...I am an OFFICIAL MEMBER NOW!!!

Calebs Acre

Songster
14 Years
May 17, 2008
Long Island
Between yesterday and today, I have really gotten baptism by fire into the proud group of duck and geese owners!
I started out wanting ONE SINGLE pet duck...but after researching, phone, internet and in person, I decided that I REALLY wanted Sebastopols and Dewlap Toulouse geese and call ducks.

My best friend has been raising every type of bird for almost 30 years, so she has guided me and will be helping out, but it's all coming together....

YESTERDAY...my first three baby Sebastopols arrived. They stole my heart because they are so innocent and sweet. Never imagined a face could be so cute!

THIS MORNING....my first four baby Dewlap Toulouse geese arrived...the first time all four of them snuggled up against my chest, I knew I was destined to be a goose...

(PS...I picked the dewlaps because they remind me of Homer Simpson. Even though I am female, I KNOW that I AM Homer Simpson in real life....I can appreciate anything whose butt and stomach drag on the ground and those who are exhausted after walking more than a few feet!)

Along with the dewlaps, I got a wonderful pair of snowy calls (adults) and I just am overwhelmed with the beauty of all of these creatures. EVEN WITH THE INCREDIBLE MESS. LOL. I never knew that they ate and drank so much. I'm sure some is catching up from the trip.

Now, TONIGHT....I am expecting my "Rugby Team" as the seller calls them....an adult flock of Holderread stock dewlaps...3 males and 4 females. The owner has a new business and decided she just didn't have the proper time for these guys. My great fortune!The main male is 38 pounds. I am so nervous to meet the big ones!!! I've been around my friends' geese, but having MY OWN? WOW!

So, I've been building pens and houses and buying food, finding feeders, waterers...all of the things that are regular, normal daily activities for all our you. My husband was really against this...he sleeps during the day. But, he said to me today, "Gee...it's kind of nice to sleep with these guys....they peep so quietly and softly that it is kind of soothing." HUH? MY husband said that? WHO IS THAT MAN?

I won't be keeping all of these guys myself because I promised to share with my friend, but, frankly, I cannot imagine how to part with any of them. I'm sure with all of the work, I'll be more willing in a week or so, but I couldn't have known how much personality these guys have, even as beautiful babies.

Well, I'd better get back to the "kids." Oh, I started with two dewlap eggs from eBay...they are in the incubator and I feel pregnant myself. (I'm 51 and never had kids) It's raining outside or I would try to take photos. Frankly, my hands don't stay dry or clean enough long enough to hold a camera!!!

I welcome all advice and suggestions. While I am not alone in this, I love to hear from others. It can only broaden my knowledge base. I can't wait to meet my rugby team!!

I am so happy to be here and have all of you to "talk with"...those who understand this euphoria and excitement!! Do most people get hooked this quickly and totally?

LOL!! Glad to have you here, sounds like you are in just the right place, haha!!
welcome1.gif

hit.gif

I'm sorry I'm just so sad to have gottn rid of my ducks thanks to my dad. But on a lighter note, hurray for another duck owner and congrats.
ya.gif
clap.gif

Kurt:

I read some of your thread. My mom and I came to blows when I was 16, got my driver's license and promptly went out and bought a Saint Bernard puppy. I eventually had to give her away...I lost the fight. Since that time, which is now....oh, gosh....over 30 years ago, I have rescued over 300 Saint Bernards. Your passion will eventually be rewarded.

Currently, besides the new brood that I mentioned, I have three horses, a donkey, two goats (a nubian & an alpine), two Saint Bernards, two cats..........so, just be patient!! It will pay off. I bet as soon as you can have ducks again, you'll find someone here to help you out!

Thanks for the welcomes.
Nancy

Cownancy - baptism by fire is the only way to go! LOL...I got started in a similiar way - all I wanted ws some duck hatching eggs for our homeschool...little did I know 3 months ago I'd have 36 waterfowl in my barn!
wink.png

Welcome to the addiction of BYC!
welcome-byc.gif

Welcome! You're going to make me get geese yet!! Oh you're horrible! How AWESOME of you to be a St. rescuer! I *as made obvious by my name* am a lover of Great Danes and at this time have 4 of them and don't even know how many have been through my house in the last 6 years (I'm 24) Did rescue for 4.5 yrs and am on sebatical now b/c of the birds pretty much.
Enjoy your stay this is a GREAT group of people! I hve rouen ducks should you decide you want to try those. Oh and Snowies are my FAVORITE!

I had to carry each of the geese from the van/playpen to the pen and I am trying to get their giant feet down and hug their wings close to my body and they just quietly make teeny tiny little geesy noises and let me pet them. They are SOOOOO nice.

Then, I go inside and walk up to this big cage with the baby Dewlaps and Sebastopols and they all come running and peeping at me. I have to pick each of them up to love them and hug them, too. I swear that they grow by the hour. I mean it. I have to take photos tomorrow or they'll be grown up by Saturday if it keeps going like this.

I have never seen a groups as friendly and easy going as this one. It's fantastic that everyone helps each other. Thanks so much for welcoming me.

Back
Top Bottom