Ok..I did it...He's home!!! I got a rooster!!!

Bec

THE Delaware Blue Hen
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Home Of The Delaware Blue Hen
Hey!!!

So the continued story from last night....

I went today to look at the 3 roosters they had....They were keeping one, the biggest, named Little Richard....that left 2 to choose from.....I chose the smallest!!! He is soooooo cute!!! I love him so much. Right now he is in his confinment pen in the barn away from my girls. I set him all up with food and water...put some hay on the floor for him to scratch in and a roost for him to roost on.

His father was absolutly gorgeous!!! His name was Little Joe!!

She said Little Joe has had leg mites...so I am treating my little man with Vaseline coated legs until I can get some powder...anything else I should do for him?

All of her chickens were very well kept, clean and healthy. She was super nice and cared a lot for her chickens!!!

I have no idea what kind he is....The parents were given to the lady I got him from. The father was beautiful! He was dark in the body with golden head, neck and shoulders...his tail was green...very pretty bird. The Mother was darker..kinda of partridge looking...

My little guy is dark..staring to get a green tail and he has pretty gold feathers around his head and neck...not as bright as Dad's but I am assuming that is because he is only 3months old....He has the cutest crow EVER!!!

I will take pics tomorrow and post them..

what I found works best for leg mites is mineral oil with a few drops of tea tree oil. Never had luck with the vasaline. Of course all my chooks at the time had feathered legs, that may have made a big difference. Good luck with your new boy. I love roosters, they just add something to the flock! The old saying "struting like a rooster" takes on a whole new meaning once you have a rooster!

Shannon

I'd keep him quarantined (totally seperate) for a month or so. Even if everything looked good, you don't want to infect your healthy flock with something nasty like coccidia, mites, et cetera. Also, it'd be a good idea to dust him and his bedding with DE. Always take care of him last and wash your hands, et cetera.

There was a thread somewhere about quarantining...But here's this one. Read Rafter 7 Paint Horse's post. Hope you find it helpful!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9857

Once everything checks out well, a week +/- of indirect contact in with your girls will let everyone get used to each other without being able to go at it.

Thank You...that was very helpfull!!!

Should I give him a bath? I have never bathed a chicken....an if so..what should I bathe him in (soap)?

I will have to call around and find out where I can get DE....

i dont know what I would do with out this site!!! You all are great!!!

We've used mild hand soap to wash parts of our birds (i.e. their back, feet, wings) before...Never the whole bird though. I don't know how you would go about that or what you'd use. You could probably just rinse him off, but you'd have to make sure he dries out well and keep him warm until he does.

By the way, here is the thread I told you about before...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12751

We'd love to see some pics!!!

I use Campho-Phenique and apply it with a medicine dropper. It works really good and it's not as messy as vasaline. I have only had a problem with 2 of my silkies and they are in a seperate cage. But they seem to have gotten better and I did spray the cage & perches with orange guard.

Ok..I went and got some DE!! I checked him thoroughly and saw no signs of mites or lice..which is a good thing. I gave him a sprinkle and then dipped his legs in and mad sure I got between his toes and the underside of his feet!! I sprinkled it all around his temporary pen.

He heard my duck, Willis, outside of the door and let out the tiniest little crow!! It was soooooo cute!!!!

What a neat little man...
Pics still in progress!!

Back
Top Bottom