OK, i have to vent...

smile.png
I hate to say it but that dog would go for a ride! I just can't shoot an animal unless I am going to eat it! OK...let me have it! LOL

In Germany, if you kill someone's chicken, such as running it over with a car, or your dog kills it, etc,, you not only have to pay for the chicken, you have to pay for every egg or chick that chicken would have produced in a lifetime.

Quote:
A clarification:
I think the $900 is the total Marcus got for 36 hens (10 the first time and 26 hens the second time) and 1 rooster (?). That would be $24.32 per animal.

Marcus, sent you a PM back. Send me your info and we'll have you back on the road to a flock again. I hate what this must have done to your kids. They must have had their favorites. Maybe hatching new babies will help some.

Quote:
A clarification:
I think the $900 is the total Marcus got for 36 hens (10 the first time and 26 hens the second time) and 1 rooster (?). That would be $24.32 per animal.

What kind of math do they do in NJ?
$900 divided by 36 = $25 (please don't fit up, I'm teasing)

Anyway, it's not so much the $, I know that if my girls were massacred I'd be crushed.

Still not enough in my book. Sorry about this, Marcus-- I'd be a near basket-case if it where to happen to me. I DO understand the economics-- but, that DOESN'T REALLY include or really compensate for Marcus's MONTHS of caretaking.

Last edited:
I'm very sorry for the loss of your chickens, as we all are. It's always very difficult to lose any, let alone all of them.

However,
Every time I see a post where someone is getting several hundred $$ for their chickens, it makes me sad inside. I know they are our pets, BUT:

What happened to being neighborly?? I really think that's part of the problem in our country today, the whole, you wronged me and now you are going to pay (literally)! mentality really gets me. There's nothing wrong with fair market value, but over that, it becomes unfair for the other person.

I do think it's important to get to the bottom of this with your neighbor, either she finds a way to keep her dog away from your chickens, or she finds it a new home, or you take matters into your own hands. No compromises there.

If it were a wild predator, you wouldn't get any compensation at all, and here you've gotten way over market value. Purely speaking in terms of money, you just came out way ahead.

Please be nice to your neighbor, you just never know when you may be on the other side.

Remember, everyone, the coffee at Mc Donald's is SUPPOSED to be hot.

Quote:
I agree.
I think everyone feels bad over loss of pets, and income, and the neighbor is at fault, but what is gained by vengeance. It is only a shortsighted "victory".

I'm not addressing this so much to marcuscarr, but more to some of the responses.

Marcus,
Try animal control again. I'm also in the CDA area. Ask for Karen Williams, not one of the others. She is great and may be able to help you out. If not shoot, shovel, and bury. Today on craigs list someone has 6 layers and a rooster if you want to go that way. Sorry about the dog. I have the same fears in my neighborhood.

Back
Top Bottom