Ok. I'm a weird chicken keeper.

So why do you think yourself "weird"? I clean my birds out as soon as necessary, I give them treats most days, they have always got clean water and I say thank you to them when I collect their eggs. If that makes me weird then I guess I am, but its just how I like to treat them.
I talk to and thank my girls for their eggs, too.

I only have 6 hens. My practices would likely be a lot different if I had more than 20, like some of the hardcore chicken farmers and breeders on BYC.

You'd sound perfectly normal to me!
:thumbsup
Thanks for saying so. Even growing up with indoor birds was weird to a lot of people. I had a Quaker parakeet when I was a teenager who would sit on all of my friends' shoulders, preen their faces, and then proceed to regurgitate and attempt to feed their ears. Some of my friends were terrified of our birds and would ask before they came in if they were in their cages or not.

I do deep litter, I don’t smell ammonia at all ever, but there’s a lot of ventilation too.

I love my chickens! I thank them too for thier eggs every day lol if I could, I’d have house chickens, or like maybe courtyard chickens because the dust is so bad! (I see it now my courtyard aviary LOL)

The chickens ate all the grass in their run so I have to go pull clumps of grass for them daily. I don’t trust the bald eagle we have constantly flying over.

You’re not weird at all! I had a Quaker and parakeets and a cockatiel growing up! What I love about my chickens is that a peck is a whole lot kinder than a bite from a bird!! I’m starting to try the deep litter method too. Seems to be working so far! Anyhoo. I’m now a proud chicken person!!

I do deep litter, I don’t smell ammonia at all ever, but there’s a lot of ventilation too.

I love my chickens! I thank them too for thier eggs every day lol if I could, I’d have house chickens, or like maybe courtyard chickens because the dust is so bad! (I see it now my courtyard aviary LOL)

The chickens ate all the grass in their run so I have to go pull clumps of grass for them daily. I don’t trust the bald eagle we have constantly flying over.

My mom has a little black serama hen who sleeps in the house, and often hangs out in the living room, even sits on the couch. Mom makes her little diapers out of kid socks. She's adorable!

My mom has a little black serama hen who sleeps in the house, and often hangs out in the living room, even sits on the couch. Mom makes her little diapers out of kid socks. She's adorable!
We need pictures!!

Back
Top Bottom