im with ya!
barnie.gif
he.gif
rant.gif
smack.gif
hu.gif
fl.gif
th.gif

Don't worry! My girls were born right before Mother's Day and one just laid her first egg yesterday! I had just about resigned myself to the thought they might not start laying until the spring (what with winter coming and all) and, just like that *snap fingers* there was a pretty blue egg in the nest! And I am thrilled!! It's so exciting to go out and look KNOWING there just might be another one. So, hang in there and be patient (some more). It'll happen before too long and it'll be just as exciting then as it would be now.

Everyone was asking me (especially mom) about eggs before I even considered it. I just grabbed some fluff balls at the Feed store - wasn't thinking eggs.

I got 3 eggs a few weeks ago - then nothing. I figured the shorter hours of light had halted laying until next year. I found one jelly egg. Then... yesterday... after all that sqwaking - I found my RIRs are laying in an abandoned duck nest right by the kitchen door. Good girls! 9 makes a dozen total.

88997_broodypenny.jpg

88997_prudyspride.jpg

I found it interesting what you said about the heritage breeds because I am certain my common looking Rhode Island Reds are laying and my fluff girls are not. Quality takes more time.

88997_allfrontporch.jpg

By all means, don't let the office bullies see they are getting your goat. They will NEVER persist - like Pitt Bulls with a pot roast.

my buff orpington rosey laid her first and second egg and had to be taken to the vet to be cut out. i wouldnt be wishing that hard. my rosey almost lost her life. i didnt care if she ever laid another egg ever again. i was like that too cant wait to get the egg. now i could care less about the eggs.she is a pet. she is also doing WONDERFUL and laying good now. maybe you will get them soon.

Quote:
:O thats horrid! :O lol

tell me about it im sooo angry i culled 7 already (they were over a year old though
tongue.png

on a good note i just found out i have all female ducks and they lay great for me LOL!!!!!
ya.gif

This is as far as I got in this thread. You culled your chickens for lack of egg production and OUT OF ANGER? I don't know if you are male or female, but it makes me wonder what you would/would have done if you wanted a baby human.

Maybe I'm just too sensitive.

I haven't read through all the responses, but I've had luck triggering late point of lay by supplementing light, especially when point of lay occurs in mid-winter.

Quote:
tell me about it im sooo angry i culled 7 already (they were over a year old though
tongue.png

on a good note i just found out i have all female ducks and they lay great for me LOL!!!!!
ya.gif

This is as far as I got in this thread. You culled your chickens for lack of egg production and OUT OF ANGER? I don't know if you are male or female, but it makes me wonder what you would/would have done if you wanted a baby human.

Maybe I'm just too sensitive.

They were more than a year old. I would have been angry and culled them too. I don't have pet chickens (as entertaining and cute as they are) I have a flock of egg layers. They are expected to feed my family and they will do it, either with eggs or in soup. And I'm a great parent, probably partially because I know the difference between animals and people.

Back
Top Bottom