Ok really! WHO IS SICK OF IT?! ~UPDATED!~

the3ofus+oursixchicks :

my buff orpington rosey laid her first and second egg and had to be taken to the vet to be cut out. i wouldnt be wishing that hard. my rosey almost lost her life. i didnt care if she ever laid another egg ever again. i was like that too cant wait to get the egg. now i could care less about the eggs.she is a pet. she is also doing WONDERFUL and laying good now. maybe you will get them soon.

Yes i remember reading your thread
smile.png
glad she is ok by the way
big_smile.png
hugs.gif

Quote:
*raises BOTH hands in the air* lol. I was going nuts. Till yesterday morning when all my patience and hard work was rewarded with the most beautiful egg I've ever seen: my girls' first. Feels like I got a second wind; sure was great to get some validation for my efforts! (And my RIR, Scarlett, sure worked hard too!!)

I am with you! still waiting. I keep talking to the girls everyday. They talk back, so I guess we are in the same waiting boat
barnie.gif

Are you sure they're not laying? My little angels were sneaking out of their enclosure and lying in the middle of a huge bush we have. My daughter finally found them, there were about 23 eggs in there! When we took the eggs out they moved into the old barn and layed, now we've finally managed to keep them in the enclosure but they still won't lay in the nests.

Just be patient. Mine started laying at 5 months, but that's just them. Some will start at 6 months, some will start at 7 months. But that's just them.

Still waiting for my 8 1/2 month old DIVA to lay...

Seriously, she struts around like the Queen of the World lol. Almost never walks quickly. Always a stately, slow pace:

65925_sugarpond.jpg

Yes, Sugar, you're very pretty. NOW GIVE ME AN EGG!
Her comb and wattles are redder now than in this pic, so maybe someday this year...

Quote:
*raises BOTH hands in the air* lol. I was going nuts. Till yesterday morning when all my patience and hard work was rewarded with the most beautiful egg I've ever seen: my girls' first. Feels like I got a second wind; sure was great to get some validation for my efforts! (And my RIR, Scarlett, sure worked hard too!!)

See? Don't worry, when you least expect it you'll look in your nest box and VOILA... the long awaited first egg! But you know, for me it's an exciting moment everytime. I think my last one has finally started laying and I got five eggs the other day from eight pullets. The next day I got four, and the next day I got five again. I will probably go over the moon if I ever get eight in one day. (LOL... never satisfied, am I?
wink.png
)

It will be any minute! How about putting a picture on here of your girls? Some of the experts are very good at predicting how much longer they have till they start laying.

Hang in there...
hugs.gif

I have 4 bantam Mille Fleur D'Uccles that are now 7-1/2 months old & still not laying. Their waddles/combs are nice & red. I told them to take their time...they are! LoL!!

I've had chickens start laying as young as 4 months & others take almost a year to start. I think time of year, breed & weather all play a part. My spring chickens are usually laying come fall, but my mid to late summer chicks sometimes do not lay until spring...even if that means they are several months past the 'normal' time chickens begin. Also, with the larger breeds, it can go quite a bit past 5 months before they start laying. My Jersey Giant didn't start until she was almost 9 months old!!

My new Hamburg/barred rock girls are a little over six months and have just begun laying - and are now up to speed with one egg each per day. Make sure your ladies are happy-- i.e.: lots of sunlight, fresh water, all they can eat of a balanced layer ration, and run aroud space, and plenty of greens (pesticide-free garden and kitchen waste). And a nice nesting box with enough space and bedding. Happy, stress-free hens are egg-laying hens. These girls are fourth generation of this particular flock and are doing great.

Back
Top Bottom