OK, say I want to get some more chickens....

Pacanis,
You have to get a rooster. They are so cool. Mine rarely will crow during the day, and I have positioned their coop doorway away from us and the neighbors, so that early morning crowing sounds are actually directed into, and then muted, in the woods. He is protective of the hens and the chicks (when we had them), he actually will take tidbits to the hens from my hand, when they free range the girls will run to catch up when they get separated from the rest of the flock (really funny when they realize they are alone). I think we have better luck keeping the crowing down to a minimum if he is the only male within ear shot. I had some young roosters once and there were definately issues/problems. A neighbor several blocks down the street used to have a rooster, and they would "talk" back and forth. It's gone now and I hardly even notice ours anymore when he crows unless our windows are open. Gitcha one!
-Spence

Ya know... the more I read.. hens aren't so bad.
smile.png

I have 2 roo's one for my banty hens and one for my cochins, all live under one roof. when I let my hens hatch eggs I will seperate them from the rest of the flock. I like to do it before they sit to long, but have waited right up to hatch then moved them into my safe pen!That way babies are safe from the other birds!
My safe pen is a huge have- a- hart bunny pen, I got for 10.00 at a store called Marcs, I think I really lucked out on that! I keep it in the coop, so that the other birdscan get used to the chicks, but can't get to the babies!
If you don't want babies just keep collecting the eggs!
No one can tell if they are fertile or not!
I love the cochins, I heard Dorkings are pretty cool looking too!

My DH has gone out to check on them at night when the weather is very cold and every time the 2 roos are huddled up close to each other! The hens huddled by their roos!
I need to go out and try to snap a pic of that, but I hate the cold!
What ever you decide, have fun! Here is a pic of my D'uccle Roo, (Banty) And my Cochin!
Brenda

DSCN2292.jpg

That banty is a pretty roo.
I wish I didn't live where it gets so cold...... I'd worry about frostbite on large combs too much and that limits my breeds
sad.png

I got a roo by accident and I love him. He's a buff orp and his comb has had some frost bite issues and sticking to the metal feeder in the cold. Also, he's **very** protective of the hens. This is good and bad. If one of my hens escapes the henhouse and I want her to come in, I just have to send the rooster out for her and she comes right back in!

He also chases away anyone who seems like a threat -- the cats have stopped stalking the hens because of him, but he also chases my kids and husband. Not me, though.

I could definitely not handle another rooster, Jimmy would be too aggressive, I'm sure.

He only crows in the morning when he's still locked in the henhouse, so it's not bothersome at all, and occasionally later in the day if something gets him worked up -- like if a hen is doing the loud buhBOK while laying.

Back
Top Bottom