Ok. We have Coccidiosis..... what's the latest treatment advice?

HollyOakFarm

Songster
May 3, 2021
Canby Oregon
My vet isn't available right now.....

I have 40+ chicks - 3 weeks old to 7 weeks old. Swedish Flower, Hedemora, Svart Hona, and Olandsk. Everyone had a clean bill of health as of 3 weeks ago when my vet was out for a flock check. I vaccinated everyone for Merek's at 1 day old as well. I did not vaccinate for coccidiosis.

We just made it through the 115 degree 3+ day heat wave. I used misters over their run and kept their pasture damp. They are on medicated feed and free range. Everyone made it through.... On Monday (heat wave still in full force), I thought one of the 7 week olds, a Swedish Flower, had heat stress and brought her inside and treated her for it (cool room, dark crate, food/water). She wasn't improving, and started showing signs of coccidia by Tuesday night - blood in droppings. I drenched her orally with Corid right away and started Corid in her water and the rest of the water sources for the other chicks. The initial Swedish Flower passed away yesterday afternoon. :-( I'm continuing Corid, and I have 4 more of the 7 weeks old (all Olandsk Dwarfs this time) that are showing signs of Coccidiosis - lethargic, pale, hunched over - but still eating, moving around.... just under the weather. I orally dosed the 4 of them with Corid last night and plan on doing it again tonight in addition to Corid in everyones water. I have not quarantined them. I figure separating them from the flock may cause more stress. I've called my vet and messaged her. I know she's really busy with heat related emergencies and I haven't heard back. When my goat kids had a coccidiosis outbreak a few years ago we did Corid and then Baycox - and it worked, but it looks like Baycox isn't available anymore (?). I also see Albon isn't available OTC. What more can I do? I'm honestly a little freaked out. I know some of this is my fault because I kept their environment damp for a week or so in very warm stressful weather, I really don't feel like I had many options. I'm working on clean-up now.

Questions:
How long does it take before moderate cases of Coccidiosis should start showing improvement once Corid is started?
What other treatments are available in conjunction with Corid or instead of Corid that will be more effective?
After the 7 days of Corid (2 tsp/gal water) and drenches for the more severe cases (.75ml once a day).... Do I plan another round of treatment in 2 weeks?
Do I do any B Complex vitamins in between treatments? After treatments? Do I need to do injectable, or is oral B Complex ok?

Is there anything else I need to know? I'm comfortable dosing chickens orally and sub-q.

I appreciate your time and advice. Sorry. Just really worried.

Update: 4 more dead this morning all from my youngest chicks, around 3-4 weeks old. They were puffy last night, drenched them with Corid. Found a bunch of bloody droppings this morning. Corid is still in their water and their medicated feed. My vet finally responded to my message today..... but she is 3-4 days behind me info-wise and told me it was dehydration from the heat, and to give them water and Nutradrench. I let her know it's definitely Coccidiosis. Now I'm waiting on a response again. I feel like I'm caught up in the worst of the outbreak right now. There are another 4-5 that may not make it another 24 hours. I'm sad and I feel helpless. I'll be cleaning up and disinfecting/burning what I can from the coops this weekend. I ordered Baycox, but it'll be a week before it gets here.
Any tips on cleaning up contaminated dirt would be appreciated. I plan on raking out the run, putting down hydrated lime, then a layer of fresh sand.

Photos of chicks, brooder, poop?

Nutri-drench is contradictory to Corid, so...up to you to go a different route.

What dosing are you giving and what amount are you giving for the drench?

You will not be able to get rid of the Coccidia that's in the soil, etc. It's found in soil and poop. It basically lives in the intestines of the chicken...it's just when there is an overload it creates a problem.

Back
Top Bottom