Okay, wait....breed, age, sex? Confused!

NellaBean

Graceland Farms
10 Years
Mar 4, 2009
Broodyland, TN
My Coop
My Coop
I bought two straight run EE a couple weeks ago.......one has acted more Rooish than the other the entire time. He gives me "stink eye" and just acts like a roo.

They are feathering out now and are probably....3-4 weeks old? I have had them almost 2 weeks now.

Are they old enough to tell sex?

bigchicks1.jpg

bigchicks2.jpg

bigchicks3.jpg

bigchicks.jpg

I have dubbed them Stew and Crockpot, just in case.....In all the above pics, the one that is closest (with the striped feathers) is the one who has acted more Rooish.

In the next pics, the other is closest (speckled feathers):

bigchicks4.jpg

bigchicks5.jpg

I am curious to see what they look like all grown up...they are similar in color, but one has speckles and one has stripes on the feathers.

I don't want roosters, so have been keeping my fingers crossed but I'm thinking I am going to be out of luck on these.
sad.png

Anyone?

Last edited:
they look like they have single combs, which means they most likely aren't EE's.
they also don't have muffs/beards either
EE's have pea combs....

possibly welsummer, markings don't look dark enough for phoenix....trying to think what other breeds have similar markings

where did you get them?

Last edited:
They came from a local feed store...one of the employees brought them in to sell. She was not there when I bought them, but only brought the one "breed" and had them listed as Easter Eggers. Not sure if they were her own "stock" or chicks she had bought from a hatchery.

They do not have any green on their legs at all, and don't have any extra muff/tufts/whatever. I just figured that they are mutts, so might not be exact? The EE i got from TSC do have greenish legs and also have combs that look "different" (assuming those may be pea combs? these are my first chicks).

I can't wait to see what they turn into it. The curiosity is killing me! (and the cat too!

well, ya never know, they may be mix or you could have got pures, no matter, they are cute. Sorry, too early for me to tell gender, maybe a couple more weeks....

Kinda look like my welsummer chicks at that age. Ended up with 4 roo's and 2 pullets.
he.gif
The roo's are getting real pretty now and 1 has a huge red comb and wattles and thinks he can crow. His name; Jim Dandy.
Claude

Well, my chicks are now.....older than before
big_smile.png
No idea how old they are. But definitely starting to look like "real chickens'.

Are they old enough to sex now? I"m pretty sure Crockpot is a Roo........but what about Stew?

For reference, I got them March 10 and here is what they looked like:
Crockpot on right, Stew on left
chicks3.jpg

Here they are today....

Crockpot on left, Stew on right
outsidechicks2.jpg

outsidechicks3.jpg

outsidechicks4.jpg

Crockpot oin front, Stew in back
outsidechicks5.jpg

Stew
outsidechicks6.jpg

I THINK, Crockpot in front, Stew in back.
outsidechicks1.jpg

So...Crockpot's comb is getting larger and redder this week. Stew's is getting larger but not redder just yet.......

What do you think? Also breeds? They were sold as "easter eggers" but are apparently SUPER MUTTS because they don't have green leggs, or muff or anything like that. Pretty though.

they are less than 5 weeks? then I say crockpot is a definite cockeral, my girls don't get red until they are well over 12 weeks. I really can't guess on Stew not knowing the breed. Some breeds have large combs so I wouldn't give up yet.....hate to tell ya but....give it a few more weeks to be sure
wink.png

I think they are about 4.5-5 weeks. I've had them just over 3.5 weeks and they were about a week old when I got them?

Crockpot has acted like a roo from the beginning. He would stand really tall and constantly get between me and Stew....stand over her/him/it until they laid down, etc.

Now I just need to figure out whether Stew is a girl....or if Crockpot is gay!

lol.png

Thanks for the guesses!

Anyone else?

These two look identcal to my RIR/EE crosses. Some had pea combs, some the single RIR combs. The girls and boys are still hard to ID at eight weeks! Crockpot,though, is aptly named -- cockerel! They just get prettier. It is a pretty mix.

Back
Top Bottom