***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Buckguy20, May 9, 2011.

1. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    Hope everyone had a happy thanksgiving. I haven't seen any chicken people for over a month, and that was jcatblum at a non-chicken event (hoop house workshop in OKC). Good visiting with you that day, Catherine!

Mike D, our experiment worked great. Buy some young roos at auction for a couple bucks apiece, keep them for a few weeks, butcher them for the table. Worked out to less than a dollar a pound of delicious chicken! Much better than store bought. We had one for thanksgiving yesterday. Tomorrow we will have our full blown TG when all the kin arrive, and we'll have one of our turkeys then.

Hope everyone is well!

2. NanaKat

NanaKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:It's a .pdf file, it's at:
    www2.ca.uky.edu/afspoultry-files/pubs/Anatomy_Digestive.pdf

Thank you. I printed off the article and like the other photo diagram also. It shows the hens reproductive system along with the digestive system. Couldn't figure out how to upload that pic.

3. Poco Pollo

Poco Pollo Vista de Nada Farm

Jun 14, 2009
    Haskell, OK
    Thanksgiving dinner at DD's parents-in-laws' home was a pleasure. We stayed late, though, so the flock was cranky when I finally brought the feed bucket around. I added a handful of Cheerios to each feeder in apology.

The wind is making outside work nearly impossible, so I'm inside finishing stocking stuffers and folding laundry. DH went to OKC to visit his father. He's had a shock treatment to regulate his heart rate and is home recuperating. I'm guessing MIL will stuff DH full of leftover turkey and pumpkin pie. MIL makes a wicked pumpkin pie: too amazing to contaminate with whipped cream.

Ksane - Interesting (but graphic) hen photo. Is there a photo showing the inside of a rooster? Can you post a link?

EDITED: --- Found the site. Never mind [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  4. poultryand bees

poultryand bees ~Drives a Magic Poultry Van~

Feb 4, 2008
    Oklahoma City
    Quote:[​IMG]
    Glad to see you, Buster.
    Your experiment with buying roosters at auction and then butchering them for your table after a few weeks, makes sense from a dollar stand point. I have often said that I can't raise adult chickens to butcher for the low price they sometimes bring at auction.

5. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    Quote:In a pregnant cow, the calf can roll or twist the uterus so that the cow can't deliver the calf. You have to check the uterine canal and see what direction it is rolled and then manipulate the calf in an opposite roll...not an easy task. Wonder if this can happen with a chicken's egg in the laying process.

will go check the page

Nana- that reminds me of some of the James Heriot storied! I wonder if that can happen with chickens... spent the last half hour giving her a warm bath, clear up to her wings- she gave some heavy pushes- trivia, you don't want her hind end facing your face.... you can add the details! anyway the mass or egg is closer to her vent, but seems there is a membrane between the vent and it- i really am hoping this isn't what i've read about with internal egg laying- she is eating and drinking and pooping

Betsy, will drop a note to NN and see if he has any suggestions

6. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
  7. Okla-doodle-doo

Okla-doodle-doo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Portland,Tn
    Hey Michael thanks for the tip on tractor supply. I got me a set of those live traps today! Been wanting them for a long time,saved $15!
    Been out messing with the birds this afternoon. It was shirt sleve weather again. Hard to believe after tomorrow it will be snowy!
    My little silky seram layed today,talk about a little egg!Culled out 4 more little roos to take to the sale tomorrow along with the bunnys. The baby on the loose is still alive,figured a hawk would have him by now. Guess I'll have set one of my new traps!

Wifw is watching th Arl/LSU game,then we are going to El Chicos and then to Petsmart,they have their guppys on sale and I need some new males.

When we got home late yeasterday from our daughters it was dark and we could hear the cat squalling. Finally found her,she had fell in the pool and managed to get into the overflow trap(it was about 8-10 inches above waterline) and was stuck there soaked and cold! We are hopeing she didn't ruin our pool linner with her claws! Thats one life down! Wife said if she ruined the liner she may loose the other egight! She is makeing up for it today and attacking us everytime we move!lol

8. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Quote:It's a .pdf file, it's at:
    www2.ca.uky.edu/afspoultry-files/pubs/Anatomy_Digestive.pdf

Thank you. I printed off the article and like the other photo diagram also. It shows the hens reproductive system along with the digestive system. Couldn't figure out how to upload that pic.

Quote:Nana, I'll post the picture in case you still wanted it, I wasn't sure if you did or not. I just did a screen shot of it and saved it in Paint Shop Pro & uploaded it.
    Robin, I remember reading a thread on BYC about a hen with the same problem. It seems what that lady did is make an incision in that membrane you're talking about and got the egg out then stitched it up and kept it clean. She probably gave antibiotics, too. I remember thinking at the time that I hope I never have to go through that.
    Nana, here's that picture if you don't have it.
    [​IMG]

9. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    Quote:found this thread, similar symptoms, so started her on pen-g tonite- [​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=210732

on a lighter note, got some silky eggs in for Flo, my perpetual broody (one of betsy;s) since the keets depoofed her, i figured she needed some silky chicks..

[​IMG]

Mitzi, don't know if i could do that- omg! i did spend almost all afternoon with her, she is still eating and drinking fine, and talking like she always does...

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  10. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Quote:found this thread, similar symptoms, so started her on pen-g tonite- [​IMG]
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=210732
    on a lighter note, got some silky eggs in for Flo, my perpetual broody (one of betsy;s) since the keets depoofed her, i figured she needed some silky chicks..
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/24037_3cedars2.jpg
    Mitzi, don't know if i could do that- omg! i did spend almost all afternoon with her, she is still eating and drinking fine, and talking like she always does...

She's quite proud of her box of eggs, too, isn't she?? lol I can't imagine doing that sort of surgery on a chicken either. I couldn't forgive myself if it laid there and bled to death. If she's acting fine maybe it's some sort of a tumor. My guess is that's pretty common with chickens but seldom do we hear about it because not many people keep chickens that live years because few keep them as lifelong pets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by