***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Buckguy20, May 9, 2011.

1. Cjarvis

Cjarvis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011

Yes, follow up is always needed, but getting them under control first is the big trick, after that it's normal maintenance routines.

2. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    I agree that if you are only dealing with a small amount of birds that would be a good solution but when you are dealing with a large number it not very cost effective. I also don't usually treat my birds unless there is a problem, as a rule they take care of them selfs with dust bath's & such. I seem to get mites/lice/critters in my birds that are penned & not let out to free range.

3. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    My peahen laid her 3rd egg of the season-- and I found it broken earlier. We will have to evaluate what we can change about our setup to keep the eggs from breaking-- she is laying the eggs from 8 ft in the air-- can't imagine how they are getting broken--- if we lower the roost too much then my boy will be getting his pretty tail feathers all dirty.

Thankful the sun is shinning-- there was a little ice on the vehicles, but none on the ground. I trying to replay yesterday in my head--- my stomach muscles are sore & I can't figure out what I did out of the ordinary yesterday. Maybe a little regular exercise would keep my from waking to sore muscles....

4. Cjarvis

Mar 5, 2011
    I like a 6 week schedule once they are known to be under control, but thats me. Getting them under control to start with can be a real pain sometimes treating the pens weekly, and washing the birds with a good flea and tick or mange mite shampoo helps start the process, that will wash 90+% off including eggs, kill most of what stays and then treat with Ivomec or similar product the next day, wash again in 7 days and Ivomec again that usually gets the birds in order, then you are ready to start a maintenance routine. External parasites are like worms you can't avoid them they're everywhere and if you have wild birds or other animals around you will deal with them, control is the only method.

5. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    This part isn't posting so I'll have to make it a separate post.
    I seriously doubt your Silkie boy died from mites (or lice). *All* birds have e. coli (that's the infection I fought last fall). When they become sick from something else or stressed (new home, shipping, etc) it overtakes their system. Honestly-my guess is that's what happened to him. The lice/mites are just secondary.
    Keep in mind-lice and mites are *different, have different life cycles. With Lice you don't even have to bother treating their sleeping area-just Frontline or Eprinex. With mites you DO have to treat their bedding. I'll shut up now. I just hate to see you stress over something that's so very simple to treat and prevent.

Vebi, those 2 birds are gorgeous! What kind are they?
    I wish pigeons were tame in the way my Serama is. He's the sweetest tamest calmest bird I've ever known.
    ROFL!!! Kass, he wore socks on his hands to "remind" him not to chew off his fingers??? lol OMG I feel so flippin' SANE when I hear this stuff.

6. Cjarvis

Mar 5, 2011

Have you considered deep straw bedding or pine shaving under the roost? That would soften the fall.

7. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma

8. Cjarvis

Mar 5, 2011
    I would agree, it takes a very serious infestation to cause enough damage to kill a bird. It was likely either Cocci, or E-coli. As both are everywhere and un-avaoidable in many different strains and birds become imune to what they grow up around but not necessarily the other strains that exist. stress brings on a lot of issues with poultry and allows these things to affect them more than normal.

9. Poco Pollo

Poco Pollo Vista de Nada Farm

Jun 14, 2009
    Haskell, OK
    Yes PLEASE!!!!!!! Pictures would be terrific.

10. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Is it time to go home yet???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by