***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Buckguy20, May 9, 2011.

1. fairwindminishetland

fairwindminishetland Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    seminole oklahoma
    My Coop
    Sounds like something I'd do...Love your goats. They didn't mean any harm? Did they? Are you laughing yet?

2. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    just passed on corals info, usually my daughter is very anti church- so maybe this will work to soften her heart- we don't have the funds to help, and this has been an ongoing issue of jumping first and not thinking... sigh...

3. fairwindminishetland

Feb 13, 2010
    seminole oklahoma
    My Coop
    Was wondering why they left before they had the money?

4. Poco Pollo

Poco Pollo Vista de Nada Farm

Jun 14, 2009
    Haskell, OK
    FairWind - The goats were just thirsty and hungry. The are big and clumsy, but not mean. Naomi checks my pockets all the time, but usually I have things like bags, pliers, or my phone in my pockets. She's taken my keys before, but usually she just checks my pockets and then leaves. I make a habit of holding treats in my hands when entering their pen. Galen, the largest doe, is bossy and wants to be first for everything. If the treats are in my hands, she sees them and can tell that the other does aren't getting them first. Buckets full of anything should be carried singly. If a doe can get her head into the bucket, she will tip it to get to the contents. I must have looked like a toppling scale of justice when the does tag teamed me. Lesson learned.

Robin - I hope Catholic Charities is able to help with a gift of money or a loan. I don't have any other suggestions. Maybe someone else on the thread has had experience with churches or social organizations that might be able to help.

5. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    The snow is starting to melt now-- wind is close to 20mph so feels pretty brutal outside. The girls spend the morning sledding until the wind picked up.

I am trying out a fig bread recipe, since I bought 15lbs of dried figs- walmart had the figs marked down to $1 lb.
    Took the goats some fresh hay since there isn't anything for them to eat that doesn't have snow on it. They must have eaten it all because I am starting to hear them scream.
    None of the birds seem excited about the snow. I will let the birds out to play latter this afternoon, once it warms up & the wind dies down.

6. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    For what? You don't have to put any sugar at all in custard if you don't want to. I make it 10+ cup recipe and have 1/2 - 2/3 cup sugar in the whole thing, (I use brown sugar or flavored syrup) but you could just as easily use stevia (I think that is the sugar sub you can cook if not then whichever one you can cook)

7. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Ok, this was my 1st snow with chickens so this was hilarious. Maybe next year I won't stand out in the cold with a camera laughing lol! And when I opened the door to the coop the Faverolles are in, what did I see??? The very last Guinea bird I've been trying to catch!! She's noisy but she's not dumb, she slept in with the chickens last night. It was dark when I shut the door so I didn't see her. The 2 girls are marked with zip ties, I'm keeping 2 boys so whoever wants the 2 girls and the 1 boy can have them. The Cochin girls and Silkie girls are still peeking out from their coops, it's been hours and they won't come out haha! I can hear them out there fussing and carrying on. The Silkie boys have a roof over most their pen so they came tearing right out. They were all making the food noise and trying to feed each other snow lol!
    My little Serama says he'll just watch from the window, he says he's a tropical bird.
    Now to go catch up on all the posts.....
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    you know mitzi- typical of them- jump first, well, i think they have it figured out- and i'm not asking for too many details...

coral- sent you a pm...

keep praying for them- they don't seem to think too far ahead

let my guys out- some had never seen snow, and they just stood there, peering out....LOL!

9. RetiredArmyWife

RetiredArmyWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2011
    Marlow, Oklahoma
    I got it at Atwoods here in Lawton. They don't have any similar yet this year. I love it and will be getting another like it as soon as I find one. It was fairly reasonably priced too, under $300.

10. fairwindminishetland

Feb 13, 2010
    seminole oklahoma
    My Coop
    Mostly desserts....I keep trying different recipes and subs for sugar-free baking...mostly honey and agave and they do pretty well...I keep trying stevia but the recipes don't call for enough of it and it's always bad? Any thoughts or has anyone else tried to find a healthier way?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by