***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Based on Incubator, hatcher, brooder space and cages I handle 3600.
But when everything is in full swing it is now just about 400 a week that I actually hatch. It was great getting rid of all teh big birds and letting me focus more on teh bantams that like better anyway.
the bantams I only have to raise to 1 year and can cull at several points prior to that point. test mate set asside then keep or cull based on breeding results.
The Big birds I had to raise out to 18 months to let them finish corectly and completely, then test mate and raise them then set breeder pens.. so waiting 2 - 3 years to know which big birds I wanted to breed from was a real hassle and very costly.
I now have much better control of what is in my pens and what changes I can accomplish by having time to focus more on teh ones that really need the work.

Sooner scared me. I thought it was gonna be like 10000 a week or something!!! Funny. We are running about the same. We have one that holds 2200 chicken eggs and then a bunch of GQF's.
With the brooder we got from you (our first) and now 4 more we have more than we can deal with. All it took was seeing how easy using the brooder was and I jumped up and ordered 4 more and looking for more!!

Thanks nanakat for the ham hock info, I'll do that next time. It has an amazing smoked smell, the whole house smells all smokey (in a good way)

Gary was watching doomsday preppers the other day and a lady said she rubbed olive oil on her fresh chicken eggs and doing that they last 90+ days at room temps, anyone else know anything about that?

no, but i heard one the other day about putting them in unclorinated water and they will last 6 months. ???? I think I will just keep my chickens and eat them fresh...or maybe freeze them for baking.

Here is another meat free recipe. We had this at work a few weeks ago and it was good.

Bulgur Chili
Ingredients

• 1 cup bulgur
  • 3 cups boiling water
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil (or other cooking oil)
  • 2 cups Vegetable or tomato juice
  • 1 can (16 ounces) Kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can (16 ounces)Pinto beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can (16 ounces)Black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 package chili seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
  • 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions
  • Place bulgur in a large bowl; stir in boiling water. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Drain and squeeze dry.
  • In a large saucepan sauté onion in oil until tender. Stir in the bulgur, tomato juice, beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, chili seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 9 servings.

Nutritional Analysis: One serving (1 cup) equals 195 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 657 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 11 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.

Good Morning!! Great news on POOPS, looks like there will be alot of planning going on between the two events!! I am excited to have them both.

I have been really busy at work the last couple of days so I haven't been online :( Might be getting a cold thanks to the weather going back & forth all the time.

Hope everyone spent some time with their valentine!

What is POOPS, new on here and just curious what it is. Thanks

Thanks nanakat for the ham hock info, I'll do that next time. It has an amazing smoked smell, the whole house smells all smokey (in a good way)

Gary was watching doomsday preppers the other day and a lady said she rubbed olive oil on her fresh chicken eggs and doing that they last 90+ days at room temps, anyone else know anything about that?

I read the test they did on how long eggs would last under different circumstances. I'll try to find the website if you want. They kept them in sand, lard, on the counter, the fridge, different places. They finally ended the experiment at 7-8 months (mainly out of boredom). The eggs plain on the counter and in the fridge were still good.

Hey all of you Okie hatchers, I have a question. I have some ameracauna's and some red pyle bantys in the incubator, their 21 days is up on Friday, how long should I leave the eggs that aren't hatched on friday? I could not candle the americaunas due to the shell color.
Thanks in advance. Debbie

I give them an extra 2 days so day 23 throw them out.. that will allow for some temp fluntuation affecting hatch date. Lower temps will set the hatch out a day or two and higher temps can speed the hatch. Some will hatch early and some late based on breeding history as well.

Sooner scared me. I thought it was gonna be like 10000 a week or something!!! Funny. We are running about the same. We have one that holds 2200 chicken eggs and then a bunch of GQF's.
With the brooder we got from you (our first) and now 4 more we have more than we can deal with. All it took was seeing how easy using the brooder was and I jumped up and ordered 4 more and looking for more!!

No, I have all I need and do not sell chicks at all anymore.. So my hatching needs are much lower. as well as eliminating all the LF. 400 a week is plenty and still plan to cut back on or eliminate at least two more varieties of bantam.
My incubators have 10 trays each could hold 220 but balance out better at 180. You will need to be very carefull hatching more young birds than the local market can bare the prices will drop to the point you are loosing everytime. Assuming you plan to sell chicks.
if you plan to raise to show you will need to be very carefull about what goes into a breeder pen, and what leaves the best lines out there will only produce about 10% good quality on both type and color all birds have faults it's a matter of what your willing to tolerate. If you are raising to show you will need to make sure you have plenty of good clean pen space and good quality feed. The birds will not grow right in crowded conditions or with poor quality feed or dirty water.
the brooders make life very easy for young birds.. make sure your temps are set right as too high of a temp will cause the wings to grow longer. they shoudl start at 92-95 for the first week then drop 5 degrees a week after till they are at normal outside temps. growing them out in teh hot dry summer requires extra attention to feather moisture needs otherwise they get narrow, brittle and poor feather quality.
there is a great deal to consider with teh birds and what the purposes are and timing your hatches for needs.

Back
Top Bottom