***OKIES in the BYC III ***

So are you just going to set the 9? I think I'm getting 20, 10 NN and 10 houdan, I will fill it the rest of the way with my eggs.
Like I said, I'm not sure my rooster has been making the rounds yet so I doubt if many of the eggs are viable. I'm just going to set what i get.
Unless I can score some local eggs over the weekend. I might ask around.

I have at least 2 boys doing the job, Oreo and at least the one barred NN w/ the single comb, I saw him mount my red NN that I am wanting to pair up.

The leghorns after a couple of weeks of fresh air & sunlight. We may trim their nails this weekend. I didn't want to tramatize them too much!

This one is still pretty naked, it is a late bloomer.

Some are learning how to scratch. We take them watermelon & they scratch at it a little. 2 wks ago they were scared of watermelon, so huge improvement!

Like I said, I'm not sure my rooster has been making the rounds yet so I doubt if many of the eggs are viable. I'm just going to set what i get.
Unless I can score some local eggs over the weekend. I might ask around.

Crack a few open and see if they are fertilized. Do a search on BYC I found a thread with side by side pictures of "fertilized" and "unfertilized" eggs, it was great to know exactly what to look for. Unfertilized is a white dot on the yolk, fertilized is more like a tiny white bullseye.

Oh those poor things, Christina :-( I'm so glad you and Buster have them and they get to be real chickens. I gotta say-I do love their flop combs though. They're going to look wonderful by Halloween with new shiny healthy feathers.

Man for a minute I thought that I was on the wrong forum with all the veggie pics and si-fi talk but then a saw them post about chickens and I was happy.
wee.gif

Oh those poor things, Christina :-( I'm so glad you and Buster have them and they get to be real chickens. I gotta say-I do love their flop combs though. They're going to look wonderful by Halloween with new shiny healthy feathers.

Rumor has it there will be more birds from fisher available in November. Hopefully a few others will adopt them. We have had 2 die, but over all they are doing well. One is very people friendly & we have another that fights off the roosters that visit. It's amusing to watch them as they change. Only one is brave enought to leave the pen-- but there pen is prob 1/4 acre since it is actually a goat pen. Not sure if we will ever move them in with our main flock, since I do think they will get pecked on. If it gets cold this winter I may have to figure something out with their housing.

Dang, MacGuyver, you're a Who Addict lol!!! I shouldnt talk, I have a very addictive personality when it comes to hobbies. I never much cared for SciFi though, I don't think I ever did manage to watch an entire episode of XFiles the times I tried so hard to. But CSI and the cop shows? i love those!
I'm not an addict! It's real love! :)

Back
Top Bottom