***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I don't know where in the pecking order she was within her age group (I call them the teens) but most all the teens are still low in the pecking order of the whole flock so she's probably used to that.

Yep, her and the blue wheaten are on bottom of pecking order at feeding time but (knock on wood) my crew is pretty good about newcomers.

Mine too, I read horror stories on here (byc) about blood thirsty evil flocks attacking and actually hurting newcomers. I don't actually bring any new ones from other flocks in, but have been hatching and introducing new ones to the flock and removing others from the flock for about a year or so, they seem to take it in stride, a little sqwacking at the food dish and for the best roost space but no big blood letting fighting or intense bullying.

Mine too, I read horror stories on here (byc) about blood thirsty evil flocks attacking and actually hurting newcomers.  I don't actually bring any new ones from other flocks in, but have been hatching and introducing new ones to the flock and removing others from the flock for about a year or so, they seem to take it in stride, a little sqwacking at the food dish and for the best roost space but no big blood letting fighting or intense bullying.

I was thinking about the same stories when I posted that. I guess some of get lucky in some aspects of chickenhood and others get the ugly side. LOL

Hi All. Hope everyone is faring well in this heat wave we're finally having. Birds are all well here and being their funny selves. Hoshi, our little silkie girl, is still as amusing as ever and eating all the tomatoes she can get to. Our turkeys girls are all starting to lay right on schedule. Good thing I like turkey eggs omelets. We have 8 girls with the crew that hatched back in February. I guess I should offer eggs for sale this year since we'll have enough to sell.

How's everyones gardens doing? We've had a pretty successful year so far and tons of green tomatoes still on the vines. Our melons bit the bullet and so did our winter squash thanks to the squash bug brigade but we're still getting okra, eggplant, tomatoes, cucumbers, and lots of herbs.

We picked over a 100 lbs of apples last week so we started processing this week. We did 1/4 of them and got a gallon plus of apple cider, 7 pints of applesauce and 6 pints of cinnamon applesauce plus 4 pounds of cut-offs for the birds. The apple cider is earmarked for making some hard cider, as a new project. It's kind of funny because we rarely drink alcohol of any kind but we make wine every year and now we're trying cider and mead. Lol. Of course it's hard to beat some good elder berry wine in rabbit stew. mmmmm

Have a great weekend everyone!

frow.gif
Hi ShelbyDog! Glad the black Ameraucana is doing well there, she should settle down into regular laying any day now. Yeah sorry she's so wild- I think I'm about done acquiring adult birds I like them socialized a little.

Erinszoo- wow that's great about the apples! Are they from your own orchard?

:frow Hi ShelbyDog!  Glad the black Ameraucana is doing well there, she should settle down into regular laying any day now.  Yeah sorry she's so wild- I think I'm about done acquiring adult birds I like them socialized a little.

Erinszoo- wow that's great about the apples!  Are they from your own orchard?

LOL...she has her moments. She's fitting in fine. Just more skittish than the others.

Back
Top Bottom