***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I can't find any leghorns local and shipping eggs from Oregon or North Carolina is a little far. Has anyone hatched eggs shipped a long distance??

I'm probably going to suck it up and order from a hatchery. Any bias opinions on the best hatchery?? I've used Cackle Hatchery once before with no issues. I just picked them bc they are close.

If anyone would like to combine an order I'm all for it.

We are gonna bundle up and go to the auction in Inola Saturday so maybe I can find some chickies there. Anyone else going?

I can't find any leghorns local and shipping eggs from Oregon or North Carolina is a little far. Has anyone hatched eggs shipped a long distance??

I'm probably going to suck it up and order from a hatchery. Any bias opinions on the best hatchery?? I've used Cackle Hatchery once before with no issues. I just picked them bc they are close.

We are gonna bundle up and go to the auction in Inola Saturday so maybe I can find some chickies there. Anyone else going?

I convinced my local feed store (the Farmers Co-op in Coweta) to order some leghorn chicks for me, I had to order at least five. Might ask yours.

Shipped eggs is risky- 50% hatch rate is "good" for shipped eggs. Better off getting chicks, and hatcheries are fine if you are just getting them for the eggs.

I got my Leghorns from Ideal Hatchery. You can order all pullets and don't have to order 25 like most places. I ordered 10 Brown and White Leghorn pullets, the total for everything was $35, they're in Texas. If you order from them make SURE you specify on your order than you do NOT want males added for warmth. You can add an extra $1.75 if you want for ins but it's hardly worth messing with it. They'll send a bunch of males (no charge) if you don't tell them not to.

Does anyone know anything about the Country Lane chicken feed that they sell at Orscheln Farm & Home?
Nice to see you on! I used that the first few years with ours till we started buying at the local feed, they did fine on it- ad use it in a pinch still- can't get more specific than that other than i tried mine on layena, didn't know my birds were gourmets, they would eat the layena...

Speaking of shipped eggs... got my eggs from Haritage farm and poultry in Arkansas (same guy I got my Light Sussex only I DROVE to get those eggs! Hatched 9/10 of them!). I am SO irritated with the post office!!!
rant.gif
Dennis had wrote on the box in big red marker "HOLD" and my number. What did they not understand from that!?!?!? Grrrr.... so the lady who delivers our mail had it in her car all yesterday, driving all over her route with my eggs just bopping around in her car. And then this morning (I called them yesterday and they said they didn't have it) "Oh, uh, we have a box that has your number on it." So I picked them up and brought them home. ALL OF THEM HAVE DETATCHED AIR CELLS.
he.gif
I'm so frustrated. I know it wasn't all from the lady driving it around... allllll day in her car. But still! Could people not handle these things a little more gentle? So yah. They are now about 9 days old and damaged internally. There goes my hatch rate. I am letting them sit over night. I don't have much of a choice. This is why I drive over an hour and a half to pick up my eggs. Sheesh. Sorry but I really needed to vent to the only people I know that understands this.

EDIT: On a good note, our little Thorin (19 week old Lav Orp) found his voice today! He tried to crow! Well... he tried over a dozen times. Tried. LOL!
gig.gif
Goofy guy. He'll have to practice.

Last edited:
this is what i do with detached, set them point down in carton sections into the incubator, don't turn at all for 5 days, i have had eggs hatch doing this, after 5 days set them in the bator as normal and hand turn- hope that helps

ok, all this nice weather and i start thinking of pens and coops i need for these inside birds.... then i look at the weather forecast....sigh

sunday ice and flurrys, monday a high of 24, dang... i( love winter! and detest summer- but this winter is really hard on my birds.

After 2 days of giving my silkie boy(5 months) meds for MG, that boy is walking again! he had really bad coordination, and his left leg had been giving him real issues- wish i'd known this last year, wouldn't have lost so many...

Last edited:
this is what i do with detached, set them point down in carton sections into the incubator, don't turn at all for 5 days, i have had eggs hatch doing this, after 5 days set them in the bator as normal and hand turn- hope that helps

ok, all this nice weather and i start thinking of pens and coops i need for these inside birds.... then i look at the weather forecast....sigh

sunday ice and flurrys, monday a high of 24, dang... i( love winter! and detest summer- but this winter is really hard on my birds.

After 2 days of giving my silkie boy(5 months) meds for MG, that boy is walking again! he had really bad coordination, and his left leg had been giving him real issues- wish i'd known this last year, wouldn't have lost so many...
MG?

I feel for you re the weather... I haven't lost any birds recently, but they are alllllll getting sick.
I saw a forecast last night and the coolest thing was that Sunday's high was actually lower than the low. The weather guy did not make note of it, but he should have. I think that it happened that way because of the way the timing of the front was and the way the computer is programed to find the 'low' for the day. Well, cool to a weather geek - but sucks to a chicken, either way.

X2 I've heard a lot of success by incubating damaged eggs the first 5-7 days without turning. Gives the veins time to develop and the air cells time to "heal" a little, then you start turning them so they don't stick to the sides of the egg.

Awesome :thumbsup What did you end up using on him?
Love your avatar! I just can't wait for you to meet him and the other Seramas. What are you goung to name the Joe Clone?

Back
Top Bottom