***OKIES in the BYC III ***

All is well with the new babies. No losses through the night, and they are settling in well. I am still a bit concerned about one of the golden buffs but she seems okay for now. I have had quite a bit of pasties today. Are some breeds more prone than others? The EE's and Leghorns are all fine but the GBuffs, Brahmas, and the little Enigma all are having a hard time. I am trying to clean them before it hardens, but I will be going to work. Hopefully they will be okay for several hours.

They may still be experiencing stress from the travel time. Stress, too hot, and too cold can all cause pasting. Just keep them comfy and keep it cleaned off and they should get over it quick. The play sand is a good suggestion.

Does anyone know if the little pullet we hatched that is half Welsummer bantam and half EE bantam is considered an Olive Egger? She hasn't started laying yet and we're wondering if the eggs will be green.
big_smile.png

Maybe or maybe not. It depends on whether the EE parent had one blue egg gene or two. If it had two then every offspring gets one and will lay blue, green, or olive eggs depending on the amount of brown genes they get from the other parent. If the EE parent only had one blue egg gene than only half of the offspring will get it.

Anyone got any trios or quads for sale we like orpingtons or Marans of uncommon colors and anything kinda rare or "exotic" as my wife says lol

Last night, I moved some cock birds around to change up some pens. The Blue Columbian Wyandotte #14 had been in a pen of Blue Columbian hens. I replaced him with a young Columbian cock. I guess it broke his heart that I replaced him because I found him dead this morning on the floor in the layer room. He was an energetic breeder and had no injuries that I could find. Good thing I have eggs in the incubator and still have #7 and #3.
I'm giving Beau, my big Columbian Wyandotte cock, a break since his fertility has been low. He sure enjoyed getting out this morning to free range and socialize with some of the layer hens...he was calling them to treats and trying to be amorous.
Samson, my oldest Cochin, was keeping his chosen White hens away from Beau. He would ooo-ooo and then herd them away.
We had two more calves thru the night. One has a little white heart shaped spot on its forehead.

Anyone got any trios or quads for sale we like orpingtons or Marans of uncommon colors and anything kinda rare or "exotic" as my wife says lol

I could sell a trio or quad of very young Cream Legbars- about 3 weeks old. ;) Not sure if you are interested in anything that young though. They are considered rare and lay a large blue egg.

Back
Top Bottom