***OKIES in the BYC III ***

4 cents a pound isn't bad at all. With chickens and hogs it can be nearly their sole ration since they get a lot of minerals from the dirt that they play in. But for chickens I would be tempted to sprout some Alfalfa too for that dark yolk that looks so good on a plate. LOL

The cost would be roughly the same as a 1300 pound round bale at 50 a bale plus the benefit of better nutrition.

If anyone can build a good fodder system on the cheap you can.

I hear you Les! The garden and incubator both are calling me something terrible!!
There is a really good thread here on BYC on growing fodder. I think it is totally do able and a cheap way of feeding the flock. I have been researching it and wheat seed seems to be the best. The lady I get my feed from can get me a 50lbs bag of wheat seed for $11. Just think 300 lbs of feed for $11 that is just crazy. Honestly that would cut my feed bill to $100 or less a month. Of course that means I could have more birds...
yesss.gif
Plus I could feed that to my llamas. The boys would really love me then.. Yes I buy their affection with food... When I get the plans drawn up I will post it here. Hopefully I can get the system built by this summer.. It should not be the hard or expensive.

Muesky, think you could grab me a bag of wheat seed? I cant find it at atwoods or tractor supply.

I was wondering... does anyone have a Silkie pullet or hen that they would be willing to trade for a Silkie splash cockerel? I really REALLY need to find him a home but I need a replacement or my husband is going to tell me NO MORE AUCTIONS since they labled the two we got as "pullets". Oh boy... the younger one is looking more like a boy than a girl too.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom