***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Of my 5 kids (4 old enough to understand) he is the ONLY one like that. I can't really explain it, he surely didn't get it from me or his dad :oops: but I do try to stay really mindful of it but realize our limitations too. We're not in a position to have alot of capons or roosters but we can definitely manage a couple. But I will say no one (not even me) works harder or does as much for the chickens as Arlo. All day long he's checking water, bringing ice, just hanging out with them, and catching escapees. Every morning and every night he helps me get them out and back in :) and if I'm not awake yet (rare) he does it alone. I wouldn't even consider it if he only cared enough to put up a fight. And x2 on the rooster, couldn't have said it better myself! Hope you got some good babies from him :)
I had my first experience with chickens having to put down two suffering chickens. (Long story, if you wanna know it, you can pm me, but I think I've spoke about it before. now, I'm able to euthanize them, but I've only fed them to other critters (dogs, cats, snakes) and haven't been able to eat them myself. I have one in the fridge soaking in garlic and ginger pastes. maybe if someone else cooks it? Only time will tell....I may not actually be able to chew and swallow...much less actually put it in my mouth :(
Yes absolutely. They will sing along with the hens or to encourage them. I'm nearly done with my quarantine pen. This was a rabbit hutch/chicken coop given to me by my neighbor. He gave up because "something" kept getting them. The roof was a wobbly mess, I'm sure it was a coon or a possum pushing the tin up and getting in. I am splitting it into 3 pens, so I can hatch from a specific hen or quarantine a sick chicken without risk to others. It is not for winter but will work great in the other 3 seasons. Hoping to finish it today. Before: After: Putting in dividers and hardware cloth on the doors today. Also need to add the latch hardware. I am replacing the slidebolt latch with a latch I can put a pin or lock on.
it would be fine for winter if you stack hay around the bottom and ensure the back is facing north.

it would be fine for winter if you stack hay around the bottom and ensure the back is facing north.

thumbsup.gif
Good to know. Right now the plan is for it to remain empty in the winter, and the front is facing north now, but if worse comes to worse Lonny can help me turn it around if we need to press it into use this winter!

Good Morning Folks: Back from letting my chickens out of their coop, and checking on the water trap. I raise the feeder at night to keep the mice out, then lower it in the mornings for the hungry Rhode Island Bantams. Only caught two mice. Hmmm! Was sure hoping for more, but maybe tonight will produce more.

This topic is definitely a sensitive one. As a kid I wound up having to eat many pets that I named and hand raised. It wasn't pleasant, but it was never really up for debate. Sometimes my dad would tease me ("wow Scooby is delicious bacon"), and that was probably not a wise or kind choice on his part. However, they never made me butcher any of my own pets myself. Either they would do it or send it off. I've turned out to be a productive, and happy person who has respect for the creatures who gave their lives so I could eat. Those memories aren't the best ones, but I think they gave me a deeper appreciation for the whole "circle of life." So chin up, as long as a parent loves her kid and does her best to be prudent and wise, I bet the kid will be just fine. Somehow, us kids turn out happy and healthy, no matter how much our moms worry about us. ;)

Definitely a sensitive subject all the way around. I'm sure you and I are imagining two very different scenarios, where one may be a family where the kids are involved from day one and learn to care for their charges because the kids learn to be good shephards and caregivers, and at the dinner table if you refused to eat you might have gone to bed without dinner, but hopefully there weren't much harsher repercussions than that other than maybe a swat for disrespecting your mom's hard work. Then there are kids who become BEST friends with their pets for one reason or another. Also, frequently, if people grow up in even semi-decent families, they forget that being "forced" to eat dinner actually means being forced under threat of much harsher consequences, or even literally being forced, not just being expected. Being forced to eat your best friend is an entirely different scenario

And as an aside, I grew up with a mother who we are now fairly sure has always been a highly functioning paranoid schizophrenic. She maintained a working facade outside the home. I've been a happy and functioning person for most of my adult life, but getting therapy to discuss some of those old ghosts I lived with was still one of the best things I've ever done for me. Getting therapy to come to peace with a challenging yesterday doesn't mean one is any less capable of being happy and healthy today. I still get counseling, because I'm trying to help my mother navigate her remaining years, and sometimes I need a reminder that walking away from abuse doesn't make you a horrible person because the person you're walking away from is frail and lonely, because frail and lonely people can be spitefil and full of hate, too.

Just left Tractor Supply, where I met with one of our state feed inspectors. She agreed with me on the quality of those scratch grains. After talking to the store manager, I learned that I wasn't the first to return a bag. The inspector is taking additional samples, is going to file an official complaint against the producer, and the manager is going to address it with the main office.

Expecting the first quail hatch today.....

I have a sincere appreciation for those involved in the discussion on butchering pets for food and the impact that it can have on children who have pets that fall in the edible category.
My thoughts.....My family has lived in both worlds in the past 100 years...both city folks and farm life. We have seen it all....from hardcore farmers to city slickers.
"Back in the Day" animals were not considered pets; they were livestock for providing food for the table. The pets were the dogs and cats that helped protect and defend the home, livestock and barn. Naming a pig Hambone, Bacon or Sausage or a calf Hamburger, Steak, or Stewmeat was helpful but not always successful. The milk cow was Daisy or Elsie....as long as she produced milk.
As we have moved away from living off the farm to buying our produce in the grocery, those farm animals have become more pets to our children. They learn great lessons by caring for those animals and can easily become attached.
Balance between the thoughts of both worlds must be learned from an early age.
If parents begin farm life after their children are older than toddlers, then that balance is harder to achieve.
Being a good shepherd means helping our children learn where food comes from...not the grocery shelves...but the garden and our meat producing livestock.
They can still have their favorites...that don't go to the table.
But reserving a flock for meat, eggs, or fattening for the butcher is a part of farm life. Those animals get the same care and respect....just a different function.
Children don't need to learn the art of butchering until they express an interest in learning. For some that is when they begin to hunt.
My neighbor's 13 year old son wants to come watch/help the next time we do freezer camp. His Dad will come along too.
Teaching to do things humanely is a part of the learning process.

Last edited:
Good Morning Folks: Back from letting my chickens out of their coop, and checking on the water trap. I raise the feeder at night to keep the mice out, then lower it in the mornings for the hungry Rhode Island Bantams. Only caught two mice. Hmmm! Was sure hoping for more, but maybe tonight will produce more.

The trick to making this work is weighting down the rod so that only the can turns. Using the wooden ramp for the mice to have easy access to the peanut butter also holds the rod in place to the can rolls with the mouse.
Since I have young birds who like to fly up on the rims of five gallon buckets to see what is inside, I wrapped 2 inch chicken wire tower around my bucket....the mice can go thru easily, but the birds cant have access.

Just left Tractor Supply, where I met with one of our state feed inspectors. She agreed with me on the quality of those scratch grains. After talking to the store manager, I learned that I wasn't the first to return a bag. The inspector is taking additional samples, is going to file an official complaint against the producer, and the manager is going to address it with the main office.

I returned my bag. The store manager was a super nice guy and took care of the problem. Replaced my bag and opened my new bag to make sure it wasn't the same stuff and it wasn't. My new bag had none of the stalks in it. Must have been a bad batch?

Back
Top Bottom