***OKIES in the BYC III ***

cool. If you get a chance to get some Epsom salt, it's in the laxative section, or maybe first aid? Probably laxitives. It's really handy and is useful for more than just bumble foot. (They did all these cool upgrades for the mobile version, like...showing that someone has edited something, but didn't add the smiley menu...sad me...I would have don't the thumbs up after I said "cool")

Leaky vent, flushes for certain poisonings and it's great for your feet! (As a nice, hot soak)

Yes, I'm not sure how we've managed to not have any on hand, but it's on the chalkboard list! ;)

cool. If you get a chance to get some Epsom salt, it's in the laxative section, or maybe first aid? Probably laxitives. It's really handy and is useful for more than just bumble foot. (They did all these cool upgrades for the mobile version, like...showing that someone has edited something, but didn't add the smiley menu...sad me...I would have done the thumbs up after I said "cool")

Leaky vent, flushes for certain poisonings and it's great for your feet! (As a nice, hot soak)

My mobile version didnt update. Maybe because I'm running on a super old system? I think I have the oldest smartphone ever. But hey, it still works and I intend on using it until it doesn't. :)

I just looked for where it says I edited my post, and it didn't show. Maybe the time I saw it, the individual had put it in their post so others on mobile could see they'd edited it.

Mines the same too, I guess lol.
My mobile version didnt update. Maybe because I'm running on a super old system? I think I have the oldest smartphone ever. But hey, it still works and I intend on using it until it doesn't. :)

Drive that thang til the wheels fall off, baby.

Last edited:
Quote: Is the surface Peaches uses for roosting smooth and splinter free?
Does she have an outside spot where she stays during the day that has a rough surface?
One of my roosters liked to sit on a board with shingles on top when he was freeranging during the daytime...he got bumble foot twice before I figured it out.

Is the bumble in exactly the same spot or a different area on her foot? This would indicate maybe the same irritant.

Do you have a scalpel to slice off the top of the bumble so the iodine can penetrate better? Not absolutely necessary but could help draw out the core quicker.

The best bumble foot treatment I have found, the only thing that has cleared up galahads chronic bumbles is to put ichthomol(drawing salve) ointment on the feet, after soaking in warm water, put a gauze over that and wrap with duct tape, vet wrap won't stay on him, I change that out daily. Then I give him 250 mg cephalexin once a day, oral capsules) that is fishflex in petstores, the antibiotic goes specifically after the staph infection- so the ichthamol is a drawing salve, draws the infection to the surface, new tissue grows in under it- galahad was so bad he was hobbling- I am on week 3 and close to finishing it up.

Is the surface Peaches uses for roosting smooth and splinter free?  
Does she have an outside spot where she stays during the day that has a  rough surface?
One of my roosters liked to sit on a board with shingles on top when he was freeranging during the daytime...he got bumble foot twice before I figured it out.

Is the bumble in exactly the same spot or a different area on her foot?  This would indicate maybe the same irritant.

Do you have a scalpel to slice off the top of the bumble so the iodine can penetrate better?  Not absolutely necessary but could help draw out the core quicker.

I like this idea alot. It makes sense. I do have a scalpel. And it is in the exact same spot, so maybe it is some unfinished bussiness. I see no splinters or anything on the roost and she only roosts at night. She's very rambunctious tho and jumps around alot, she's loads of entertainment!
The best bumble foot treatment I have found, the only thing that has cleared up galahads chronic bumbles is to put ichthomol(drawing salve) ointment on the feet, after soaking in warm water, put a gauze over that and wrap with duct tape, vet wrap won't stay on him, I change that out daily. Then I give him 250 mg cephalexin once a day, oral capsules) that is fishflex in petstores, the antibiotic goes specifically after the staph infection- so the ichthamol is a drawing salve, draws the infection to the surface, new tissue grows in under it- galahad was so bad he was hobbling- I am on week 3 and close to finishing it up.

Poor Galahad :( that sounds so sad. Glad he's getting better. So he must be the one giving your NN capon a hard time now that hes feeling better? I've never heard of the fish flex before. I'll try it if these other ideas don't work, but I'm really hoping drawing it out/surgery is all it needs.

Last edited:
I meant to mention Peaches feathers grow in on the bottom of her foot, and it's only on the bumblefoot foot. I'm mentioning this because I've never seen it on any of my other feather footed chickens and its definitely not on her other foot pad. Its weird, I'll try to get a picture in a bit. Maybe this could be the cause? Or maybe it's being caused by the bumblefoot?

I'm a bad owner :oops: One of my big Fav girls was limping 3 wks ago and I saw she had a big bumblefoot scab on the bottom of her foot. I picked her up right there and pulled on the scab, a huge core came out along with 14 gallons of blood (well, it seemed like it at the time). When I finally got the bleeding to mostly stop I slathered her foot full of neosporin and wrapped her up in a big shoe of gauze & duct tape. surely the other hens were envious ;)
I didn't even remember about it until yesterday but it was sure still wrapped good. I pulled all the gauze off and it looks like it's healed.
So the moral of the story, Ashley, is just keep wrapping and putting neosporin on it.
Someday they're going to find the cure to the common cold is Neosporin and duct tape.

Ok here's the image:

I don't think it looks as bad as last time. But those feathers??? Normal or not?

@ksane Wise words! But those poor feathered legs and duct tape.... Yikes! I'll do it if the vet wrap doesn't stay on. But it usually does.

Back
Top Bottom