***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Yes, hand turning them will work, it is what everyone did before turners.

I got Miss Priss a friend today. A bantum chick from the surprise bantam bin at TSC. I asked very nicely and explained my predicament of one lone chick in the brooder and they let me buy just one. She was doing well by herself w/ the blue mom, but I noticed not as active and I wanted her to get up and use those muscles, and get coordinated, and it did work they are both running around the brooder.

Anyone hatch out in cartons? I believe @NanaKat does.... This is what I'm rigging up. Look right? It's my first time trying the carton and this is an important hatch!

Yes, that is how I punch the bottom for air flow.
I started my first hatch last night and I put my eggs in a carton from the beginning. I have several different breeds I didn't want to mix up and I was afraid they would roll around laying on the wire. I hope it's ok to do it this away. I cut holes in the bottom so air could circulate. Does any one think it's not a good idea to do this?

I place the eggs in the carton with the air cell to the top (big end up) For bantam eggs, I make a little tube out of toilet paper to hold the egg upright. .

With the eggs in on their sides, chicks hatching out could possibly upset them the way you have them and tip the air cell down into the egg cups.. If the big end goes down, the chick becomes disoriented in the shell and when internally pipping, could possibly drown if there is still amniotic fluid in the egg sack.

You can see in the photo below that the eggs are seated in the cups with the big end up. Also there are four eggs in a smaller section. You can cut the carton to match the number of eggs you have to hatch. Also note the short tuna can with the folded paper towels coiled inside it. These can help hold water for controlling humidity without filling all the sections in the bottom liner. That can get pretty nasty with the water and the goo from hatching. I put two tuna cans in and fill the center section with water with a little Oxine. Helps with the odor too.

Thank you NanaKat. I couldn't decide which way to set them. When I rotate them tonight I will put the big end up. I didn't add any water yet because the humidity started at 45% and went up to 55% and I thought that was high enough.

I just thought of something. When I rotate the eggs there will be times when the big end is down. Right? How else would I rotate them. I guess I could have them leaning right then at rotation make them lean left. Is that enough movement? I don't know maybe I'm in over my head.

Welsummers, leghorns, or sussex???

Columbian rocks?

I don't have a clue on this one?

Any opinions or guesses are appreciated. These came from Cackle hatchery surprise box.

Thank you NanaKat. I couldn't decide which way to set them. When I rotate them tonight I will put the big end up. I didn't add any water yet because the humidity started at 45% and went up to 55% and I thought that was high enough.

I just thought of something. When I rotate the eggs there will be times when the big end is down. Right? How else would I rotate them. I guess I could have them leaning right then at rotation make them lean left. Is that enough movement? I don't know maybe I'm in over my head.
yes it's enough I use a 2x4 even on the counter while I collect eggs I want to hatch.

My first olive egg! I didn't think she carried the blue gene, so my Ameraucanas may be pure after all! Her comb isn't a peacomb, but it's not exactly like a Marans either.

My Jubilees are laying again. Fertility is back up after bum trims. I don't want any more for myself (actually sold a few breeders), so I will probably only set by request. I have my back-up rooster and a hen that I think is a little small for my plans. PM me if you're interested in the pair. They are unrelated. :)

My first olive egg! I didn't think she carried the blue gene, so my Ameraucanas may be pure after all! Her comb isn't a peacomb, but it's not exactly like a Marans either.

My Jubilees are laying again. Fertility is back up after bum trims. I don't want any more for myself (actually sold a few breeders), so I will probably only set by request. I have my back-up rooster and a hen that I think is a little small for my plans. PM me if you're interested in the pair. They are unrelated. :)

Please post a picture of the Oe with the weird comb! I'm wondering if my single comb from you also lays an olive egg. I feel like I'm getting more olive eggs than I should. But I've been paying less attention than usual.

And my jubilee is 1 of the few chickens to make the final cut. She's just incredible.

Please post a picture of the Oe with the weird comb! I'm wondering if my single comb from you also lays an olive egg. I feel like I'm getting more olive eggs than I should. But I've been paying less attention than usual.

And my jubilee is 1 of the few chickens to make the final cut. She's just incredible.

I will post pics tomorrow. I'm so glad your Jubilee made the cut! I kept two new ones. Unbelievably, from my very first hatch, ALL were girls. No joke. I kept them for 12 weeks because I kept thinking one MUST be a boy.

Congratulations on your Olive Egger! I love mine. She lays 5 to 6 lovely and very olive eggs a week. I got 3 Ameraucana and 1 EE to put with my Marans too to hatch more Olive layers but one Ameraucana lays a pink egg.

Back
Top Bottom