***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkmanDan

Do chickens KNOW which egg is their own egg, that they laid? She seemed a bit more defensive of one, than the other.

I have seen where some can tell the difference from fake plastic eggs, or golf balls. However, I've never known a hen to know one egg from another. Even size and color doesn't matter. I have some banties setting on duck eggs, and one even has 2 goose eggs she adopted.
ep.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipihlowLadies

I've got a chick sprawl legged so I put bandaid on how long will it be before the chick can get around on it's own

If it's a new hatch, and you got the legs straightened out right, probably less than a day. If the chick is a couple of days old, it may take a week or more, and may never walk right.
sad.png

I won't get to come to Cowetta till June :(
I teach school. I am temped to leave from school and head that way though. If I leave East OKC at 3:30 I would get to Cowetta at 6;30, hmmmmmm......It is a possibility.

My salvia is coming like crazy this year. I will be able to pot up several new plants. I bought one gallon plant about 5 years ago and from that I have 2 large areas that grow into big bushes every year and have shared with several people.

Well let me know if you come or even if you wait until June that's OK. I've got the place ready now so it won't sit for weeks before I plant it this time! 918-933-4240. Or if you are coming to the Tulsa area for any other reason I'll meet you. My schedule is pretty flexible.

I can't look in the eggs either. I feel as if I am being to invasive.

Silly question
I just put a dozen or so eggs in the incubator. If they hatch, some are half banty cochin/silkie. Is that considered barnyard mix or sizzle silkie? Does it takes generations to get the sizzle? I'm just hatching for fun. Also hatching our one silkie that's laying! Finally the one from @bardies is laying!

Sizzle is a frizzled cochin X silkie. If your's aren't frizzled cochins than it's just a barnyard mix or silkie mix.

I also was planning to ask about POOPS today? Anyone know of plans?

I haven't heard a thing about it- @Poco Pollo organized it last year, not sure if she's up to another year. Do we have anyone else willing to volunteer? They can help pick place and date. It can be anywhere in Oklahoma- but must be on private property. State and public property doesn't want us bringing the animals for sale/swap.

If it's a new hatch, and you got the legs straightened out right, probably less than a day. If the chick is a couple of days old, it may take a week or more, and may never walk right.
sad.png

X2
LOL on your banty on goose eggs!!

I have seen where some can tell the difference from fake plastic eggs, or golf balls. However, I've never known a hen to know one egg from another. Even size and color doesn't matter. I have some banties setting on duck eggs, and one even has 2 goose eggs she adopted.
ep.gif
That reminded me of a little elderly lady at church when I was a teenager. She was about 4 foot 10 inches tall maybe, and spunky just like a banty hen. Anyway she would tell some funny stories about her young days when she was raising her 6 foot something teen boys.

(oh and when I knew her she was white haired, but in those child raising days was a fire red head!!!!)

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelielliott

I can't look in the eggs either. I feel as if I am being to invasive.

Silly question
I just put a dozen or so eggs in the incubator. If they hatch, some are half banty cochin/silkie. Is that considered barnyard mix or sizzle silkie? Does it takes generations to get the sizzle? I'm just hatching for fun. Also hatching our one silkie that's laying! Finally the one from @bardies is laying!

A sizzle is a silkie/frizzle cross.
wink.png
Only takes once.

Th
If it's a new hatch, and you got the legs straightened out right, probably less than a day. If the chick is a couple of days old, it may take a week or more, and may never walk right. :(
thanks for the information this one just lays on it's side and goes in circles probably a cull

Well let me know if you come or even if you wait until June that's OK. I've got the place ready now so it won't sit for weeks before I plant it this time! 918-933-4240. Or if you are coming to the Tulsa area for any other reason I'll meet you. My schedule is pretty flexible.

- Will do

Sizzle is a frizzled cochin X silkie. If your's aren't frizzled cochins than it's just a barnyard mix or silkie mix.

- has anyone seen a Shizzle - that is a frizzle Showgirl - I love Showgirls so I think they are adorable.

I haven't heard a thing about it- @Poco Pollo organized it last year, not sure if she's up to another year. Do we have anyone else willing to volunteer? They can help pick place and date. It can be anywhere in Oklahoma- but must be on private property. State and public property doesn't want us bringing the animals for sale/swap.

-Pollo and Muesky and I discussed it when we were in Cowetta last month - possibly Choctaw park, where we had it two or three years ago - I have been thinking about calling to see when and if it is available - We are all teachers so we are pretty busy till June

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgigax

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnyandrinda

- has anyone seen a Shizzle - that is a frizzle Showgirl - I love Showgirls so I think they are adorable.

I've not only seen them, I have several N/N frizzles.
ya.gif
I thought a Shizzle showgirl would be a frizzle/showgirl cross.

Back
Top Bottom