***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Never mind. I know the answer. It's worse than I thought.
Military side screamed fight for its life so I did, grabbed the tri-fold bag and went to work. Farmer side said you know better do what needs doing.
Farmer n military sides met with the mutual skill.
Sometimes I don't like neither n today is one cause killing don't bother me for what needs it but this is different.

So sorry. That sounds like a situation with a pretty bad prognosis. I had to put a hen down this morning myself. She had a terribly distended stretched out crop. I should have done it weeks ago. I tried once to put her in a cage and limit her diet for several weeks so it could heal but it didn't work. She was skin and bones and starting to have a hard time getting around. Doesn't make it any easier knowing I was saving her from suffering and slow starvation.

sounds like a bunch of us had hard weekends. Just had to finally put down a chick from my (awesome) hatch...it had been hatched with only one eye and the way the skull curved around because of that made its beak really crossed. I know that it could have/should have? been dispatched upon hatch, but I couldn't do it. I decided to wait until its quality of life was affected. Of course, that just made sure that it would suffer some before dying.
But this morning was a doozie...chickens are all good, thank heaven, but got a call from a pasture neighbor that keeps an eye out on our cattle. There was a calf down and a bawling mother.
Long story short, he was dead, we got him and brought him into the vets to have a cause of death. The consensus is that he ran into a tree and broke his neck. We were glad to know that it was a fairly instant death.
In the same pasture we caught up a small heifer to give a dose of medication - I hadnt brought a halter and that little heifer just about kicked my butt (where was the movie camera then?!) It is amazing that they can be so strong and so fragile at the same time. Guess that's pretty much is life in general....
Hugs out to all that have had to deal with losses the last few days...
hugs.gif

Wife just accidentally ran over one while pulling tractor. Leg broke and pulled it out of socket. I splintered the leg but there is no muscle connectivity.
Am I putting off the inevitable or is there hope? I have her on a cold compress to keep her cooled down while she is in shock.

Never mind. I know the answer. It's worse than I thought.
Military side screamed fight for its life so I did, grabbed the tri-fold bag and went to work. Farmer side said you know better do what needs doing.
Farmer n military sides met with the mutual skill.
Sometimes I don't like neither n today is one cause killing don't bother me for what needs it but this is different.

It is always the more humane thing to do when an injury is so serious. I think all of us try to help an animal that is ill or in pain but when it is suffering, it is time to let it go. Knowing when to let go is learned by experience.

Lost four juvenile cockerels to the heat today. They were among those moved to the rooster pen yesterday and this morning. I had checked the pen at 3 pm this afternoon and they were all alive. I sprayed down all the shade tarps and changed water because of the heat. When I went out at 8 pm to lock up all the coops, they were dead. Such a shame. These were big January hatched Cochin and Cochin/Wyandotte.
The broodie raised chicks are following smart moms who find cool shady spots for their brood until the late afternoon. I've been setting a gallon waterer and a tray of broiler feed with each group.

Hey, ya'll old timers...
CJarvis had a major shoulder reconstruction about 2 months ago and has been in PT 3 days a week.  He has been able to return to work part-time...but...slipped on the top of a truck bed and reached out to catch himself with his surgery arm.  OUCH! may have pulled some anchors loose.  He will be getting a new MRI this week to assess the shoulder.  Lets keep him in our prayers.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day...keep cool and change out the chicken water and/or spray mist your pens to give some relief from the 99 degree temps.  My juveniles were already standing in the shallow kiddie pool at 10:30 this morning.
OUCH is right. Hopefully damage will be minimal and his recovery will go fast.
I was not aware birds would stand in water! Makes sense though they bathe in it.

It is always the more humane thing to do when an injury is so serious. I think all of us try to help an animal that is ill or in pain but when it is suffering, it is time to let it go. Knowing when to let go is learned by experience.
I culled one with a misshapen leg this morning, and it tore me up. It always does with animals.

Hey BYC Okies!!!

After 7 long, featherless years... I'm getting back in the chicken business!! I finally got moved back out to the country, & immediately began planning. Lol. It won't be until spring before I get my girls, but I wanted to get back on the board & get acquainted with all the newcomers! (Newcomers, as in people I have met in the past 7 years. Lol!)

Does anyone know if Cement still has an auction?

Back
Top Bottom