***OKIES in the BYC III ***

The RV went in for service and the repair bill is about $4000 more than I expected.  There goes my chicken coop budget plus some of my other spring projects.  I'm debating scaling back to a small (5-10) mixed flock just to have a few to play with and get back into the chicken keeping routine.  I had always planned on building a small breeding coop later so that may become the first build with larger plans down the road.  I had also planned some elevated garden beds as last years garden (before it was pulverized by a hail storm) was difficult to work.  My back can't handle that up and down off the ground too well.  It looks as though I'm going to have to choose between one or the other provided I can do anything at all.  I'm not complaining (maybe just a little) as we're blessed; it's not taking any food off the table or keeping any bills from getting paid just cutting into my hobby money.

We are working on raise beds with corrugated tin sides. My back and knees can't handle gardening so well anymore either.

How tall are you making them? What are your dimensions?
We made a two- tiered circular bed out of ends of tinhorns for a friend years ago. The layers were 14 inches high and we used cinder blocks for steps and patio blocks for a pathway to the center layer. A 12 foot diameter ring with a 4 foot ring

No. I haven't got my chicks yet so I was just wondering what others did just in case I had a sick or injured bird. I called some local vets and there's one in my area that does chickens, but was just curious what the general poultry pop. did. Thank you!

I don't generally tx illness at all. I can't imagine taking a chicken to the vet, even doubt I would have taken Rudy ........................... well maybe Rudy. My answer to almost all illness or serious injury is to cull.

I don't generally tx illness at all. I can't imagine taking a chicken to the vet, even doubt I would have taken Rudy ........................... well maybe Rudy. My answer to almost all illness or serious injury is to cull.

I agree that's a good philosophy in general. By keeping the healthiest birds you are increasing the genetic strength of your flocks. I do say if a bird is injured and I think it has a good chance of recovery I will keep trying as long as appetite is good and the bird hasn't given up. Once it gives up, I tend to put it down rather than drag out its decline. :(

We have raised beds for the same reason. Treated 2x12 X 16 lumber....five boards will make two 4 foot X 16 foot beds.
Also three 4 X 8 foot sheets of 3/4 inch plywood and 2x4 lumber makes a serviceable coop for 8 to 12 grown birds.

We are working on raise beds with corrugated tin sides. My back and knees can't handle gardening so well anymore either.

My better half uses a mobility scooter so I'm planning on elevated beds that can be worked from the seat without getting up. I have seen the ones with corrugated tin sides and like the way they look. I'm thinking that I can get a few made this year but still have the regular garden to supplement anything else we want to grow. I'm hoping that I'll have help instead of a supervisor but that may be a pipe dream.

I've been sketching out small coop plans this evening (and watching the light show outside). I think a small coop is doable for this year and I'll just hold off on the large one until next spring or whenever the discretionary fund gets replenished.

We have raised beds for the same reason. Treated 2x12 X 16 lumber....five boards will make two 4 foot X 16 foot beds.
Also three 4 X 8 foot sheets of 3/4 inch plywood and 2x4 lumber makes a serviceable coop for 8 to 12 grown birds.

My better half uses a mobility scooter so I'm planning on elevated beds that can be worked from the seat without getting up. I have seen the ones with corrugated tin sides and like the way they look. I'm thinking that I can get a few made this year but still have the regular garden to supplement anything else we want to grow. I'm hoping that I'll have help instead of a supervisor but that may be a pipe dream.

I've been sketching out small coop plans this evening (and watching the light show outside). I think a small coop is doable for this year and I'll just hold off on the large one until next spring or whenever the discretionary fund gets replenished.

Are you wanting the coop tall enough for you to enter or just tall enough to hang a feeder and water?
The bigger one is made from three sheets of plywood. A nest box can be hung inside or added to the side or back. The smaller one is made using a wooden shipping crate...big enough for four large fowl.

Are you wanting the coop tall enough for you to enter or just tall enough to hang a feeder and water?
The bigger one is made from three sheets of plywood. A nest box can be hung inside or added to the side or back. The smaller one is made using a wooden shipping crate...big enough for four large fowl.

For the small coop it won't be tall enough to walk into. I'll likely end up with something around the size of the larger one you pictured. I'm going down to Lawton next week to see my family and I'm going to poke around and see what I can scavenge.

I don't remember just how old my silkies usually are when they start feeling broody. I'd guess it depends on the individual, as some are much broodier than others. Not a help at all, sorry.

I really need some ideas to prevent Hawks and owls.

Lethal shotgun with the heavier shot preferred.
Less Than Lethal (LTL) full auto battery operated airsoft
Both are time consuming
Knee high netting and stuff for them chickens to duck under if they see them coming.
It's tough cause predator birds are "protected" so first strike killing is "frowned upon in this establishment" lol and chicken well tastes like chicken

A few pics from today.

Coral these are the eggs you gave me for the broody mom.

This little pullet is one of my absolute favorites she hasn't started laying yet but her eggs will definitely be set.

Coral this is one of the boys you gave me as company for my lonely, I call him Skitzo, he is one skitzy chicken.

Back
Top Bottom