***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Good morning!  My husband and I bought a farm in Eastern Oklahoma and will be moving there in two weeks from deep south Texas. We had to sell off all of our livestock and will be starting over again.  I miss my chickens and ducks so bad!  But I am glad to have more space for more chickens. I do have a serious chicken addiction problem....

Then you are among a sympathetic group. We will help you grow your flock back fast!
So, what are you looking for........?
1f606.png

Last edited:
Thanks Lightfoot!  Figured time to stop lurking lol

Hiya CLS, glad to be here.

Hey NanaKat,
   At the moment just a small flock of Brown Red Ameraucanas that is left from a much larger flock that has dwindled over the last few years.10 Black Australorp chicks in the brooder- that were to "keep company" one small Ameraucana a broody hen hatched out but only survived a few days.  Also, I have a small breeding flock of Midget White Turkeys.

Have 75 various Heritage chicks arriving in March- trying to develop my own crosses for meat. Ancona ducks arriving about 6 weeks after them.  Plan on getting some JMF Jumbo Coturnix sometime between March and August, whenever I have time to hatch them out. 

Expanding fast!
Brown red Ameraucanas? They must be pretty

Thanks for the welcome!  I am excited to move and anxious to start again with animals.  It's a whole different world in OK than way down here my area of Texas.  Looking forward to less humidity for sure! 

I'm from up north, took me 10 years to get used to the heat here. Humidity- no thank you

Less Humidity for sure! One thing I will say is if you don't like the weather here.... Wait 5 minutes. Lol. But seriously, I think you will enjoy it here. The weather is pretty manageable and the people are the best. I will advise do yourself a favor and grab a NOAA weather radio and pay attention to the weather during the Season. Aside from the Greater OKC metro area we don't get as many Tornadoes as a lot of people think- but you sure don't want to get caught off guard. Not to give you a scare or anything, I know SE-SC Texas get them too it's just a friendly reminder I toss to anyone moving here.

Have you decided yet what kind of chickens or other fowl you are gonna look at getting?

-Doc
Thanks for the advice! Anyone who moves to south Texas is freaked out by hurricanes. Which rarely happen here. I've been through one major hurricane 7 years ago, and I've lived here my whole life! I'm sure it's the same for you guys with tornadoes! I admit I am a little nervous about possible tornadoes, though!

We had buff and lavender orpingtons before. By far my favorite breed. We've raised marans, ameraucanas, wyandottes, australorps, silkies and polish. So, I'm not sure if I want to try new breeds or stick with some of the ones we've had in the past. Definitely the Orpingtons though! We also had khaki campbell ducks. Love them! But what I would really like to find is Cotton Patch Geese. We have a gander, lost our goose to a bald eagle. :( I would like to find 2 or 3 more females for breeding.

Lock them up good when the weather is poor and hope they don't blow away. LOL. Seriously though, I have 160 adults plus chicks and growers. There's nothing I can do but lock them in and hope for the best.

Quote:
I have Coturnix. Hatch rate is 40 - 50% about equal males to females. lay eggs year round. I pickle loads of eggs and also hard boil them....buggers to peel unless you put vinegar in the boiling water.

Lock them up good when the weather is poor and hope they don't blow away. LOL. Seriously though, I have 160 adults plus chicks and growers. There's nothing I can do but lock them in and hope for the best.
I do the same thing....with eight outside pens, the hen house and the brooder room in the barn, and another brooder in the hot tub room, with incubators and a hatcher in the back bedroom...no way to protect everything. .Hope and prayers...

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice! Anyone who moves to south Texas is freaked out by hurricanes. Which rarely happen here. I've been through one major hurricane 7 years ago, and I've lived here my whole life! I'm sure it's the same for you guys with tornadoes! I admit I am a little nervous about possible tornadoes, though!

We had buff and lavender orpingtons before. By far my favorite breed. We've raised marans, ameraucanas, wyandottes, australorps, silkies and polish. So, I'm not sure if I want to try new breeds or stick with some of the ones we've had in the past. Definitely the Orpingtons though! We also had khaki campbell ducks. Love them! But what I would really like to find is Cotton Patch Geese. We have a gander, lost our goose to a bald eagle. :( I would like to find 2 or 3 more females for breeding.
I do love Buff Orps, I have (forgot exactly without looking at invoice) some on order for the spring. Always been one of my favorites.
Ah Cotton Catch Geese, someone else who really knows some Heritage breeds. I haven't seen any available semi-locally, although the Livestock Conservancy lists 3 North Texas breeders- I couldn't find any info available on any of their respective websites. Will keep an eye out for anyone with some Cotton Patch, if I do I'll send you a PM.
Very sorry to hear about you loosing your goose, I can honestly say that is the first time I have personally heard of someone loosing a bird to a Bald Eagle. I had to bold it in the quote, because you just don't see that every day. Unfortunate.

Expanding fast!
Brown red Ameraucanas? They must be pretty
I find the Roosters very pretty, and the hens are quite broody. Not sure if its just mine or its built in the breed- but they are relentless about sitting. Just had one hen finish a clutch a week ago. They've been trying all winter but I just don't think the Roos are very fertile any more- they are quite old. Applaud the effort though.

I have a chicken addiction, lol. As I can tell, I'm among friends. :D
Definitely

I have Coturnix. Hatch rate is 40 - 50% about equal males to females. lay eggs year round. I pickle loads of eggs and also hard boil them....buggers to peel unless you put vinegar in the boiling water.

I do the same thing....with eight outside pens, the hen house and the brooder room in the barn, and another brooder in the hot tub room, with incubators and a hatcher in the back bedroom...no way to protect everything. .Hope and prayers...
Hey Nana,
How do the Coturnix do in our extreme heat in late summer?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom