***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Broody woodpile turkey had 9 poults out with her in the sunshine yesterday afternoon. I think I heard peeps from under the coop turkey this morning

(I had placed the woodpile's three remaining eggs under her), but she was too agitated by me to poke her any more than I did.

wow that is so neat. I have never raised turkeys but that sure makes me want to. Amazing she had such a good hatch out in the woodpile in the crazy Okla weather this early in the year. Congrats!

Thanks!

But next part of the story will make you change your mind.... Daughter found three poults just wandering about aimlessly - Mother was nearby but did not care, one poult got bounced around with a calf hoof. Of course, I was gone, and had left my phones. When I got home, she had gathered the three and put them into a tote with heating pad and towel. When I went out to the yard to see what was up, there were two yellow bodies in the cow yard and a turkey hen just acting normal (not mother like) with four babies in stages of disarray strewn about the chicken yard (adjacent to cow yard). Momma turkey just quit apparently. So far, they are in a standard tote brooder set up meant for chickens. One poult is having his legs go out in front of him...so when he kicks, he hits his beak. I think if it survives the night, I'll figure out something inside a cup.

There is at least one poult under the coop hen, but so far, she is being a mom, so I will just check back often.

Any one know of big differences between brooding poults compared to chicks? I will be checking a turkey thread...but I did get puring startena that is recommended for poults. Thanks!

Couldn't wait....poult's in a sling made from a can coozy, held up by a chopstick inside a coffee cup.
Biggest thing that I found as far as differences between chicks and poults is that poults are slow learners when it comes to eating and drinking.

Biggest thing that I found as far as differences between chicks and poults is that poults are slow learners when it comes to eating and drinking.
I've heard that before. I think I read that if you put some chicks in with the poults they will learn from them but I've never had turkeys so I can't confirm that. Your pictures made me want to run out and get some turkeys but the follow-up makes me rethink that. My 25 chicks arrive in two weeks. We decided that we would rather have chickens and garden beds than go on a "big" vacation this year so $$ was moved from the vacation account to cover expenditures. I did suggest we could skip the family reunions instead but that got vetoed once my mother caught wind of it. I'll spend this week building garden beds and, if the weather allows, the next building the coop.

Question My fancy electric thermometer  was at 99.8 this morn turned the eggs and placed the sensor more towards the middle it was reading 114 when it should have cooled down after taking off the lid. my meat thermometer witch is for exact temps stayed about 101. How hot and long is oh owe turn it down to well done or extra crispy?

meat therm is for NOT exact temps.

Not sure I understand the question...go with the incubator thermometer. I use a digital thermometer with a humidity reading from Walmart as a backup reading in the Hovabator.

Couldn't wait....poult's in a sling made from a can coozy, held up by a chopstick inside a coffee cup. Biggest thing that I found as far as differences between chicks and poults is that poults are slow learners when it comes to eating and drinking.
Looks like a good set up. When I hatched the wild turkey eggs, I put the poults in with week old chicks until they were feathered. Then moved the poults to a separate pen...afraid the poults would hurt the chicks...the poults out grew the chicks. I started them on the medicated chick stater and switched them to game bird starter grower. Would the hen in the coop take any of these babies since they are hatching so close to each other?

Last edited:

Nana this is my set up. No incubator thermometer.

Added meat thermometer

Fancy digital. wow the humidity is up. There is no water in the pan.

Back
Top Bottom