***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I got some leghorn eggs at an auction, but they weren't marked as to color. Does anyone recognize the color pattern for these leghorns? I'm pretty sure the first is a pullet and the second is a cockerel.

Uh I don't think those are leghorns at all. At least not full blooded. They look too bulky to me. Maybe brown leghorns X ??

I'm from Pryor, with my first batch of chickens. TSC, Golden Comets. which were 2-3 days old when I got them, now 9 weeks old.
Have relied completely on the knowledge of you people on this forum for raising them and building their coop and run. Thanks for helping me. .

Howdy and welcome to BYC and the chicken raising. Hope you enjoy it as much as the rest of us. Glad you got the help you needed.

That is a pretty Leghorn. I know some people like white chickens. Around here white free range and predators from above and the ground don't get along. Well the predators get along with them just fine.lol

I love the look of mille fleurs! Yours is gorgeous. I have decided it's time to name my chicks since I think I know their genders now. I decided that the rooster will be named 007, and his girls named after Bond girls. If another happens to be a roo I'll probably name him OddJob or maybe Blofeld. Lol!

These are my new babies!
The top two I adopted from Atwoods to give the hatched baby (lower one) some companions.
The hatched one unfortunately developed spraddle leg, but it was treated and now they're getting around really well! They're still a little wobbly but their legs are staying underneath their body and they're getting used to it... I didn't realize raising chicks could be so emotionally stressful. I thought the hatched one was blind and was getting mentally/emotionally ready to euthanize it.

I know what you mean about the emotional stress. Last night I got up in the middle of the night to give my broody some chicks. This is the second time I've tried. The first round she rejected them. Those babies are in a nice run my husband built and are growing nicely.

This time, I gave her a few eggs that were in the process of hatching. Then I gave her 4 chicks, waited a bit, and gave her 3 more. She should have at least 8 now. What a relief!

Last edited:
Need advise soon please.

Got two buff orpington and a bantam a couple of days ago. Noticed one of the hens kept closing her eyes but would open them again (like she was falling asleep and then would suddenly wake up). Today her left eye is swollen shut ... otherwise seems healthy. Called the man I bought them from and he said to put Visine in her eye.

Is that what you would recommend I do? Please advise.

(Our new chickens are isolated from our current flock and have not interacted yet.)

Last edited:
Need advise soon please.

Got two buff orpington and a bantam a couple of days ago. Noticed one of the hens kept closing her eyes but would open them again (like she was falling asleep and then would suddenly wake up). Today her left eye is swollen shut ... otherwise seems healthy. Called the man I bought them from and he said to put Visine in her eye.

Is that what you would recommend I do? Please advise.

(Our new chickens are isolated from our current flock and have not interacted yet.)

Moving chickens is stressful and it COULD be a non infectious issue, like dust or hay in the eye. However it is more likely the stress has brought out an underlying condition, that she likely has never been symptomatic with but has carried. I don't think visine will hurt her, but if it is infectious it won't help. You could use it to rule out, apply it see if it helps if so most likely just a "particulate" in the eye, if not or if others start being affected you have a big descision, antibiotic or no, and even if tx w/ antibiotic if you are wanting to risk them being carriers and exposing your flock though no longer symptomatic

NanaK or anyone else who knows about canning.  I canned bone broth today, and the jars are popping sealed and unsealed repeatedly, does this mean even if they stop on "sealed" they are good to go or not?

Just now getting back on...if the jars were sealed when finally cool, they should be fine. If not sealed refridgerate and use within a week or freeze for up to three months. You can freeze in ice trays and bag the cubes.
When I make bone broth, I pressure can the broth for 30 minutes at 10 pounds of pressure.
Canning meat takes longer.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom