***OKIES in the BYC III ***

[COLOR=4B4F56]Cleveland County Fairgrounds,[/COLOR][COLOR=4B4F56] 615 E Robinson St, Norman, OK[/COLOR]

[COLOR=4B4F56]https://www.facebook.com/events/1686870108278257/[/COLOR]

[COLOR=4B4F56]Shows are a lot of fun, my Wife and I plan on going......[/COLOR]

Thank you! I think that is by the recycle place but not sure..I'll be going that way today so I can check it out! I'm not on FB, got sick of all the drama and deleted my account well over a year ago. I do miss the groups.

Hi all I'm a newbie here and we just got chicks about 2 and a half weeks ago.... so we built the coop (my sweet hubby labored, stressed, & exceeded my plans).... however I made one giant screw up I think..... we put tinted corrugated plastic for the roof (yup we are skeptical about it holding up, but with a 10 year hail warranty why not try).... it's like a hot box now.... yesterday it was 101 inside the coop.... I know my babies have a bit before they can go out there full time, but I wanted them to be able to at least go hang out in there during the day when it's warm enough.... I'm stressing.... so any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated..... it's really well ventilated with 3 top ventilation areas.... so hubby thinks if a painted them, maybe it would help??? But then what color.... ugh this chick momma is stressed... lol thank you so much for any help!

Hi all I'm a newbie here and we just got chicks about 2 and a half weeks ago.... so we built the coop (my sweet hubby labored, stressed, & exceeded my plans).... however I made one giant screw up I think..... we put tinted corrugated plastic for the roof (yup we are skeptical about it holding up, but with a 10 year hail warranty why not try).... it's like a hot box now.... yesterday it was 101 inside the coop.... I know my babies have a bit before they can go out there full time, but I wanted them to be able to at least go hang out in there during the day when it's warm enough.... I'm stressing.... so any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated..... it's really well ventilated with 3 top ventilation areas.... so hubby thinks if a painted them, maybe it would help??? But then what color.... ugh this chick momma is stressed... lol thank you so much for any help!

I put insulation on my tractor underneath when I built it. It not expensive. Got mine at Lowes

What's the siding and roofing of the building portion of it? Like is it wood with the plastic roof? I'd suggest some insulation, definitely, and maybe a few functional windows if you don't have any. That way you can get a good breeze in on summer days but shut them in the winter time. If that's not possible, they make some small solar powered fans that can create a breeze for the chickens and potentially cool them that way! I was looking at them last year when it was 108 in July/August

What's the siding and roofing of the building portion of it? Like is it wood with the plastic roof? I'd suggest some insulation, definitely, and maybe a few functional windows if you don't have any. That way you can get a good breeze in on summer days but shut them in the winter time. If that's not possible, they make some small solar powered fans that can create a breeze for the chickens and potentially cool them that way! I was looking at them last year when it was 108 in July/August

It's wood with plastic roofing, that we've now put white painted plywood underneath to help with the greenhouse issue....
I'm sure in the summer we will definitely need to get some fans in there.... I'm hoping anyway....

Putting a window in isn't really an option at the moment, but may definitely happen soon!

Thank you so much for all the suggestions!

I cooked a full adult male yesterday, was concerned about chewiness or toughness since he was 2+ years at harvest. Anyway I decided to cook him in the pressure canner. I had read some about how when canning some seasonings can change or get bitter so I didn't add any (but all my birds are brined after harvest). Anyway I just put the bird in whole, filled water to the first line threw in some whole potatoes and cooked for 20 minutes at 15 lbs pressure. (5 minutes heat time, 5 minutes cool time for 30 total) and it came out so tender and moist, and tasty even though there were no seasonings. (he did have some but not a lot of fm). And I still have plenty of broth for a soup.

I am really hating myself. Walked into the bathroom tonight (light off) and stepped on a squeaky toy. It compressed with a long squeak. But then I took my foot off and realized that our dogs did not play with rubber squeaky toys in my bathroom that it was a 9 day old chick. Not instantly dead, but certainly feeling compromised. Any ideas on how to treat? It is alone now in the old box (the still healthy ones are now moved to a bigger taller container) where it is not being jumped on, under heat. :( :(
barnie.gif

I drilled some holes on 1 side and am going to staple some screen on the inside. I's also putting a long thin door at the top opposite side with a light metal mesh on the inside to keep critters out. Like mentioned earlier easy to close up in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom