***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Hello from Tulsa... I am in the middle of a move and have discovered I can't take my 2 male ducks, Butters and Marble, with me. As much as it breaks my heart I am looking for a new home for them. I currently keep them in a hand built coop/hutch and they get roam of the yard. The coop can go with them, but will need a couple people to move it as it is heavy. 2566850783349_225_30_previewhtmlclipboarditem_thum_1504817236583.png 2566850783349_225_30_previewhtmlclipboarditem_thum_1504817236583.png 20170907_154832.jpg

Well...we checked-in 22 animals at the Pittsburg Country Fair yesterday. Poultry Judging was this morning, but I haven't been by to see how any of our entries did yet. We entered 7 Cream Legbars, 2 White Legbars, 2 Columbian Plymouth Rocks, 2 African Geese, and a Turkey. Goat judging is this evening. Our daughters are showing five goats. Three in the Dairy Kids category, and a senior dairy doe, and a junior dairy doe. We entered two rabbits too. I am looking forward to the fair tonight. :)

I had a great time at the fair. I had 5 Cream Legbar Pullets at the fair along with two cream legbar cockerels and a pair of White legbars. They all looked great and we got a best of breed, reserve of breed, and a third place breed trophy. The one that I picked to win best of breed took Reserve of breed. It is always nice to see how my selections compare with a judges'.

Winner Pullets - County Fair.jpg

I have been breeding Cream Legbars for about 6 years and have done well at shows with them but I have never shown an APA recognized breed at a show so I have never had the chance to win at a level higher than best of breed. We got 15 Columbian Plymouth Rocks as out for fun project this spring. Since they are a recognized variety I was intrigued by the possibility of showing them and having a chance to win at higher than breed. So I have been studying up on the the Columbian Plymouth Rocks standard so I could do a good job of culling and fitting them for show. As they got older and older more and more defect showed up. I culled all but three from the grow out group and only two of those three had good color so I took the pair that didn't have any major defect and who had a good representation of the Columbian Color to the fair and hoped for the best. The Pullet won first place in the American Class and Reserve Champion Large Fowl in the Open show. After all the work it was nice to have them show well.
Here is our Columbian Pullet that to Reserver Champion Large Fowl.

Reserve Lg Flow Pullet.JPG

Here is the Cockerels. He has yellowing from Sun exposure which is why I don't think he showed as well but he looked pretty impressive at the show with his size and presence.
:)
Columbian Rock Cockerel.jpg

Last edited:
Sooo... My little flock has caught their first disease. At least one of them has fowl pox. From what I can tell, it's the dry type in the early stages. Bumpy white patches on her comb, but no real scabbing yet. Must have been all of those mosquitos we've been having problems with this year. Sucks that there's no cure! I've heard you can put antibiotics in their water to prevent and/or treat secondary bacterial infections. Should I? I do have some on hand. If I do give them antibiotics, what do I do with their eggs while I'm waiting for the curse to lift? Feed them back to them? And how long would I need to keep them on the antibiotics?

Hello from Tulsa... I am in the middle of a move and have discovered I can't take my 2 male ducks, Butters and Marble, with me. As much as it breaks my heart I am looking for a new home for them. I currently keep them in a hand built coop/hutch and they get roam of the yard. The coop can go with them, but will need a couple people to move it as it is heavy.View attachment 1131031 View attachment 1131031 View attachment 1131032

Was wondering if you ever found a home for them?

It's been so quiet on here. Everyone must be busy, or hanging out on other threads. I just want to say hi and ask how is everyone doing? My girls look like they are getting over their fowl pox, but it looks like the grocery store is going to be where I get my eggs for a little while as they are still 100% off-lay. It made me so sad and scared to see my sweet, beautiful girls with all of those bumps and scabs. Melina is having the hardest time shedding her scabs. She's always been a bit less hardy than the others, but is one of my favorites. She got a prolapse from the jumbo eggs she lays, her comb is way too big and often turns purple, crooked first toes, she was hard to broody break, and she tends toward being overweight. Not a hen I would consider breeding, but she puts up with me loving on her better than the rest.

It's been so quiet on here. Everyone must be busy, or hanging out on other threads. I just want to say hi and ask how is everyone doing? My girls look like they are getting over their fowl pox, but it looks like the grocery store is going to be where I get my eggs for a little while as they are still 100% off-lay. It made me so sad and scared to see my sweet, beautiful girls with all of those bumps and scabs. Melina is having the hardest time shedding her scabs. She's always been a bit less hardy than the others, but is one of my favorites. She got a prolapse from the jumbo eggs she lays, her comb is way too big and often turns purple, crooked first toes, she was hard to broody break, and she tends toward being overweight. Not a hen I would consider breeding, but she puts up with me loving on her better than the rest.

Well...For BYC has been less user friendly since the last overhaul. I used to store all the photos of my flock on my profile as well and list all the breeds in my flock and how many of each that I had. All the threads that I had commented on were listed on my profile with indication of any new posts since I had visited it last. I could go to any thread and pull up tiles will all the photos used in that thread and be able to search for just the photos posted by a single user. I was able to put keyword searches into any thread, etc. So I could manage my whole flock from BYC, do all my poultry networking, and even go back and find conversation from 3 year earlier that had information that I remembered talking about to see the details I had forgot. I can't manage my flock here anymore and can't do the research that I used to be able to do. Even keeping up with my favorites threads seems to by harder. So I don't get on here as much as I used to. I don't think people have gone to other boards, because they are all pretty dead to.

I have been busy through. The Southern Regional Cream Legbar Club meet is going to be at the Canadian Valley Poultry show in Norman, Ok on the 4th of November. Registration deadline is tomorrow so I have been doing a lot of follow to help get people to the show.

We have two club members that aren't going to be able to show at the club meet due to fowl Pox. It is definately going a round this year.

@dunnmom , glad to hear your girls are improving. Mosquitoes are horrible this year. I've been spraying the coops with Permythrin barn spray and Lavendar Pinesol.

@GaryDean26 , good luck with the Cream Legbar showing.
We plan on attending the show. One of the judges has asked for some Delaware Bantams eggs for his local 4H group. If the girls will cooperate, I hope to provide him with some.

Well...For BYC has been less user friendly since the last overhaul. I used to store all the photos of my flock on my profile as well and list all the breeds in my flock and how many of each that I had. All the threads that I had commented on were listed on my profile with indication of any new posts since I had visited it last. I could go to any thread and pull up tiles will all the photos used in that thread and be able to search for just the photos posted by a single user. I was able to put keyword searches into any thread, etc. So I could manage my whole flock from BYC, do all my poultry networking, and even go back and find conversation from 3 year earlier that had information that I remembered talking about to see the details I had forgot. I can't manage my flock here anymore and can't do the research that I used to be able to do. Even keeping up with my favorites threads seems to by harder. So I don't get on here as much as I used to. I don't think people have gone to other boards, because they are all pretty dead to.

I have been busy through. The Southern Regional Cream Legbar Club meet is going to be at the Canadian Valley Poultry show in Norman, Ok on the 4th of November. Registration deadline is tomorrow so I have been doing a lot of follow to help get people to the show.

We have two club members that aren't going to be able to show at the club meet due to fowl Pox. It is definately going a round this year.
Yeah, I'm not liking the new format either, so I get where you're coming from. You're probably right that it has a lot to do with why people aren't checking in more. Congratulations on your recent competition wins, and I hope more will come. Sounds like you work hard and take a lot of pride in your birds.

Yeah, I'm not liking the new format either, so I get where you're coming from. You're probably right that it has a lot to do with why people aren't checking in more. Congratulations on your recent competition wins, and I hope more will come. Sounds like you work hard and take a lot of pride in your birds.

I like my chickens. They have been a great education. There will be several BYC'er from the Okie thread with Legbars at the meet. We can't all win so I hope everyone has a good experience so they will continue to work on getting the Cream Legbars accepted into APA. I try to get good birds in front of the APA judges because we need to sell the breed to them to gain their acceptance. So... it like a second job but I enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom