***OKIES in the BYC III ***

At least they didn't attach one to each chick - some days I believe we will get that safety crazy..
Ohh that made me laugh. I hope my info for your nephew helped. I don't live in Tulsa but I'll try to help you the best I can. I do have to drive through it at times. This used to be a much more active thread that would have had some closer to Tulsa help for you.
I'm hoping it comes back for more local help. I guess it's FaceBook now for a lot of the old followers.

Yes, thank you. My sister just got back to me yesterday to pass on a thank you for the advise. She has a smart kid and he will figure life out just fine, but she feels she must "help", lol.
It is easy to get around in Tulsa. Streets are on a grid. Alphabetically ordered names are parallel and numerically numbered street are parallel
Once he learns the loop accesses he can get around quickly.

Finally survived the -30 windchill temperatures in February with calves born in the extra hay we put out. Breaking pond ice was difficult. Now have 29 calves and more to pop.
BF2966AB-EA8D-471C-82E5-9FC11F54C722.jpeg
89202CA6-0B3A-4491-ABB8-9F939B1CF590.jpeg

Only had a drip in a frozen water line to the washer in the garage even with a heat lamp. Easy fix.
We ran out of propane twice thanks to the substitute fuel driver on our auto-fill route who forgot us both times. No loss of power.
Finally separated my Columbian Wyandotte into breed pens and have a week to go before beginning to collect hatching eggs.
Spring is peeking out...
CA15FBAE-4F7E-4292-B6BD-6CC497A0AA2E.jpeg 290B1B81-8879-40D7-850B-CF052A5E4427.jpeg 9862CC27-5187-4F15-9478-66B2DD41D0E0.jpeg

Finally survived the -30 windchill temperatures in February with calves born in the extra hay we put out. Breaking pond ice was difficult. Now have 29 calves and more to pop.
View attachment 2598518
View attachment 2598519

Only had a drip in a frozen water line to the washer in the garage even with a heat lamp. Easy fix.
We ran out of propane twice thanks to the substitute fuel driver on our auto-fill route who forgot us both times. No loss of power.
Finally separated my Columbian Wyandotte into breed pens and have a week to go before beginning to collect hatching eggs.
Spring is peeking out...
View attachment 2598515View attachment 2598516View attachment 2598517

Yummy morels! Very nice find.
I was so worried about calves born in that deep freeze, but I'm glad y'all didn't lose power and everyone is okay!

Mmmm shrooms. I've been wanting to start planting some this year. It'd be a good use for the old hay where I've been feeding round bales. That and potatoes.
I ran out of propane in the camper (while being at home) with the heat all the way down. It killed my cati and froze up and busted the flusher part of the toilet. I used more propane this Feb on 55 degrees than I did in Dec in Washington living in it at 75+.

View attachment 2598518
View attachment 2598519

Spring is peeking out...
View attachment 2598515View attachment 2598516View attachment 2598517
@NanaKat your herd is beautiful. We’ve been talking about starting a small cow/calf operation. Might have to contact you later about that.
We ran our wood burning stove through the extreme cold weather and our electric bill was actually considerably lower than the previous month! I figured out that poking holes in the lids of gallon water jugs and placing them on their sides around the chicken runs and then swapping them out daily was the easiest way for me to keep everybody watered without worrying about it freezing. Plus the girls like snow. My other waterers cracked at they froze, so I’m still using them LOL.

Since our school district has remained in person, I haven’t had a nice early start this year, but I have 10 straw bales that I’m about to start conditioning. Last year’s did great and I have several bags of good compost that I will use for potatoes in grow bags and other things.

I now have the 4 two year old hens (@NanaKat, thanks for your advice about Olive and her limp-completely gone now!) plus 14 from the rare breed assortment I got from Meyers last May. Everybody is laying now, so I’ll probably sell eggs at my old school, etc. The younger ones are in a very temporary dog pen while we move their coop. Not super secure, but the holes are allowing them to work out pecking order with the older girls. Those blue/grey Andalusian are fierce! Not letting them free range until they are very well trained on where to lay. My daughter has enjoyed the easy access to the girls and has spent lots of time in there this weekend.

Mmmm shrooms. I've been wanting to start planting some this year. It'd be a good use for the old hay where I've been feeding round bales. That and potatoes.
I ran out of propane in the camper (while being at home) with the heat all the way down. It killed my cati and froze up and busted the flusher part of the toilet. I used more propane this Feb on 55 degrees than I did in Dec in Washington living in it at 75+.
Our Propane manager said propane use went up in January and February from 3% use per day to 5% per day. And there was actually a propane shortage and we were rationed 100 gallon at a time until the roads cleared.

Our Propane manager said propane use went up in January and February from 3% use per day to 5% per day.
I believe it. I could've called before our cold snap and meant to after knowing it would be a long wait. I finally did it last week. I told the driver I couldn't believe how fast they came out to me. Saying a normal fast still takes a week, he said if I had called and had 40% left during or right after the storm it would have taken 3-4 wks and they had just caught up.
Yay upper 70's this week and time to start more gardening.

Back
Top Bottom