***OKIES in the BYC III ***

View attachment 2643356View attachment 2643358
I installed a couple packages of bee's Yesterday.
The February freeze killed our hive. From where did you order your nuc package?
Well we found bobcat tracks by the dog water, so that confirms it. Darn things. So tightened up the coops and runs. I don't deal well with these losses.
We had a mother bobcat raiding my breed pens a few years ago. She was caught on camera with the kitten she was teaching how to hunt my caged birds. Later a male showed up.
Cage traps are good for the inexperienced bobcat. Live bait is best.
To kill a bobcat requires either a hunting permit with a tag or proof that the bobcat is a predator. This proof can be photos or video.
If you free range all day like I do, wait a couple of extra hrs to let them out. And again if you can put them up a little early.
You may be able to leave them in the coop and run for a couple of weeks and find that they move on with no free food. Although it will soon be birthing season if not already and they will stay for months if homed near by.
I ended up replacing my outside pens with chain link panels with stretched 2 x 4 hardwire tops.

Yesterday I spent most off the day inside helping write/type my husband's job application. Locked up my chickens after dark. We noticed this morning that 2 of the girls were dead in the neighbor's yard next door. I thought an owl carried them.over, but they weren't eaten at all. Neighbor and I determined that their dogs probably played with them late in the afternoon. They have a German Shepard and big hound. Anyway, i guess that's better than a predator I'll have to keep dealing with, but still sad. My daughter was especially sad to lose.(Chubby) Chica, one of our 2 green egg layers. I may get some chicken wire to put on our side so they don't go over there. It.would take a long roll though.

Sorry that you lost some hens. Dogs tend to enjoy playing with them after they have done it once. I'd go for the chicken wire to save heartache later.

Sorry that you lost some hens. Dogs tend to enjoy playing with them after they have done it once. I'd go for the chicken wire to save heartache later.
Thanks. I know they have killed cats before too. Pretty rare for my chickens to go over there, but obviously possible. Plus they use hot wire to keep their dogs in, so that might have made it harder for my girls to get back home.

Same here. The ponds are overflowing and the creeks are roaring.
The ground is saturated and too wet to plant so I have a shipment of hostas heeled in in a tray.
More rain coming.

The carpenter finally delivered the kitchen cabinets for our remodel. The painter is scheduled for Tuesday or Wednesday. Then I can coordinate the back splash, counter tops and the glass in the full bath. And schedule with the plumber and the final electrical. The living room wood floors will be refinished last. The end is finally in sight!

Back
Top Bottom