***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Quote:
Jack's Welsummers did poorly in the heat. his Americaunas seemed to suffer the least and kept laying pretty much same as usual. His Cuckoo Marans, as usual, did the best of all of his Marans colors.
My Cochins don't do well in the heat. I still feel lucky that I lost only 7 of about 80 birds.

Quote:
This was discussed recently on the Cochin thread. There were some good pictures posted. I'll have to find them.
Are split wings a flaw in all breeds? It sure is in Cochins.

Any that are in the APA/ABA standards, yes. There are some folk, oriental game breeders and even some pit game breeders, who don't mind the split-wing occurring.

In Ko Shamo, it is a necessity. According to some breeders the trait shows purity of a line.

Quote:
This was discussed recently on the Cochin thread. There were some good pictures posted. I'll have to find them.
Are split wings a flaw in all breeds? It sure is in Cochins.

It is not a flaw in the KO shamo, No US standard, but Japanise breeders says split wing is a must for this breed. Also state that all of the better birds have the split wing in Europe and other countrys cross s have been made to do away with the split wing, the non split wing versions indicate not pure.

Last edited:
Quote:
She may have to move if you introduce chicken math to her!
big_smile.png

Um... we are NOT moving, because we JUST moved into this house. And I live in East Tulsa.
smile.png
I am finding out I probably will NEED more chickens, but I need to be sure I can house the ones I have first.
smile.png
And then MAYBE I can convince my hubby into letting me get a few more "friends"....

My hubby is so sweet. He really had no idea what HE got into when he let me get 1 chicken.

That happened to my DH! Now he even has a couple of his own and boy are they spoiled! He even took care of all of my birds when I went on vacation without him. Now that is good "husband points"
love.gif

Quote:
Jack's Welsummers did poorly in the heat. his Americaunas seemed to suffer the least and kept laying pretty much same as usual. His Cuckoo Marans, as usual, did the best of all of his Marans colors.
My Cochins don't do well in the heat. I still feel lucky that I lost only 7 of about 80 birds.

My Welsummers all lived. They live in a pen, and are fed and watered once a day. Nothing more. Granted it does not get quite as hot here in SE Oklahoma as it does further north & west. Our temps probably did not top 110, not counting heat indexes.

Quote:
Bake them whole....trim top and root. A little butter, salt, pepper and herbs if you like. Cook until tender...depends on the size....should be able to slide a fork in it. 350 degrees. A twist on them is wrap in foil with slices of onions and wrapped in bacon.

droolin.gif

What about beets?

Delicious and you don't have to peel them first. The skins slip off them after they have cooler a little.

Quote:
droolin.gif

What about beets?

Delicious and you don't have to peel them first. The skins slip off them after they have cooler a little.

So you don't eat the skin like you can with potatoes?

Quote:
We need to introduce to "Chicken Math" once you have the hang of that you will soon realize you need more, it's not a want or like to have thing it is a need.

big_smile.png

Everyone should live on an acreage anyway it's just need a good nudge to get the idea themselves, I'm trying to help I promise.
and for the record everyone likes "chicken" math it just gets hard to justify the feed bill when using it to count your chickens, believe me one chciken can eat a whole lot.

Quote:
big_smile.png

Um... we are NOT moving, because we JUST moved into this house. And I live in East Tulsa.
smile.png
I am finding out I probably will NEED more chickens, but I need to be sure I can house the ones I have first.
smile.png
And then MAYBE I can convince my hubby into letting me get a few more "friends"....

My hubby is so sweet. He really had no idea what HE got into when he let me get 1 chicken.

You need an attractive pen so no body complains, I like these we use them here, and they are very cost effective to build. the Second Pic is the Plans.

Back
Top Bottom