1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Buckguy20, May 9, 2011.

1. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:Okay.

What I was meaning by choosing varieties for specific purpose, is like for intense squash, I have been spending most of my garden time killing squash bugs, I don't like using chemicals so I am going to implement companion planting of (radish, petunias, and nastursiums), and along w/ that choose varieties that are reported as being less attractive to the squash bugs, and also choose varieties that go from seed to fruit quicker (so I can get fruit before the major squash bug infestation hits or plant later in the year and still get a harvest) and are open pollinated (for saving seed). Oh and are drought tolerent (b/c I think next year is going to be a repeat of this year)

This is all experimental for me just from info I have found while researching my specific problems, and maybe it is all hoooeeey, but the definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing expecting different results, so if I'm not happy w/ the results of this year's garden then what's it hurt to try something different?

have you considered mixing herbs with the planting? there are a large number of herbs that bugs flat do not like...
    My Great Grandmother always kept Mint and a few other things planted by windows and door openings to rid the area of flies and other pests. It is also good in tea.. I know certian types of Tyme and basil deter bugs as well.

2. michaeldaugherty

michaeldaugherty Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Quote:Will they start having shows again?

I dont no yet but ther will be alot of new stuff take place...soon ill let you no...as soon as i hear..

3. janbcoo1

janbcoo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    NE Oklahoma City
    Quote:Ok, sorry it turned out to be a PM instead of an IM! [​IMG] We are interested in your rescues. sent info by PM. [​IMG]

4. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Yes I have been doing all kinds of research on that, many herbs, and flowers have scents or chemicals that pest bugs either don't like or can actually out right kill them, like 4 O'clocks and japanese beetles. Others are highly attractive to beneficial insects that will eat the pests. Those that you mentioned are all reputed to be effective and I am incorporating in next years garden. As well as attracting more beneficials and a chicken moat.

I can't complain to much about this years garden I'm still harvesting and many of my plants are healthy. I just want to make the best use of my time, energy and resources, and make the garden as self sufficiant as I can.

While doing the research I try as best I can to make sure it isn't a site that is selling something they are praising, then try and find information on forum sites where real people have tried it and either liked or disliked the results. Like melons I was all set to try asian melons, but many of the real people commented on how the taste and texture was more like cukes then what Americans think of as melons, so if I try that it will be just one or two plants first.

5. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:Will they start having shows again?

I dont no yet but ther will be alot of new stuff take place...soon ill let you no...as soon as i hear..

Super! Thank you, Michael. I still have a few American Game, hoping to be able to show them. Might enter a couple in the Shawnee show, just for grins. [​IMG]

6. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Quote:I have 1 Blue left, Mitzi wanted a Blue, Madison is getting the Black, that leaves 1 Blue..

Perfect! I'll most def take it

Done deal. I'll pick up the 2 blues. Can you meet me about 7:30 at the same station as last time?
    I'll pay you when I see you, Carl.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  7. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:SOLD !

8. sjarvis00

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:Perfect! I'll most def take it

Done deal. I'll pick up the 2 blues. Can you meet me about 7:30 at the same station as last time?
    I'll pay you when I see you, Carl.

That works.. See you tomorrow.

9. NanaKat

NanaKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:Have you read anything on making a spray from garlic cloves....supposed to help deter some pests.

10. sjarvis00

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:Have you read anything on making a spray from garlic cloves....supposed to help deter some pests.

You can also make a tea from tobbacco, I have seeds.. Since Nicotene is a great pesticide just keep it in its natural form, place leaves for mulch and make a tea to spray or mist with..
    I have heard of Garlic, and several other things it seems it's like the birds everyone has something that works for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by