***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Quote:
Thank you and
hide.gif

She will trying to figur ethat one out next I'm sure. I have been working my tail off with "her" pear butter I can only imagine how the Pickles would go, but Pickled Okra is a big hit around here..
We just can't seem to grow it, its far too moist here so close to the lake it always drowns out.

Sorry nanakat I wasn't ignoring you, I'm at work and posting between calls. I had not heard about garlic specifically, but bet it would work as a repellent. Tobbacco leaves I knew about and have done, but it doesn't kill the squash bugs
hit.gif
You can make a tea w/ tansy leaves, petunia (old fashioned that has a strong scent) leaves, and marigold plants (all parts roots, stem, flower) as potent insecticides. And of course soapy water (can burn foliage though)

My Gma would blend insects in a blender (especially grass hoppers) and spray that suppose to kill other hoppers.

There are others but those are the ones off the top of my head.

Quote:
Thank you and
hide.gif

She will trying to figur ethat one out next I'm sure. I have been working my tail off with "her" pear butter I can only imagine how the Pickles would go, but Pickled Okra is a big hit around here..
We just can't seem to grow it, its far too moist here so close to the lake it always drowns out.

What about a raised bed then for the okra?
Mine is growing so beautifully, and I am finally getting some okra just over the past few days, still to small to pick.

love.gif
Kassandra, great idea - raised beds! We have an all raised bed garden(s) because of the dreadful drainage problem in this neighborhood. Last year we planted 6 (only!) dwarf okra along the north side garden in full sun. Even with the rains and the backyard floods, our okra produced gallons and gallons! We had gumbo and fried okra all summer and gave huge bags of it away. The plants loved being tall...they grew to be over 6'
ep.gif
I promise they were dwarf seed...we didn't have any other varitey!
clap.gif

okiechick57, Thank you for the lovely rescues! Those hens are really beautiful and the rooster will superb in no time! They all ate crumbles as though they had been fed them before and they are happy in their new home. We love them already.
love.gif

welcome-byc.gif
to all our new folks..best thread in BYC!

Last edited:
Quote:
I smoked for 36 yrs and quit 3 yrs ago with Chantix. You can get it online tons cheaper now and the stuff works! My husband & brother smoked 28 yrs and quit the same time with Chantix, all 3 of us. I really just don't even think of it now. We'll be there Friday at 6 then.
Quote:
Haha! they're addicting. I do like the standards over the bantams. The little red bantam Cochin I got from you is doing just fine but she's pretty ornery with other chickens so I decided to stick with standard size. Inmy limited experience the bantams always seem to have an attitude.

Quote:
Mine gets to go in with my sacred Cochin younguns after quarrantine, so she'll automatically be Head Hen
smile.png
I get a kick out of my Silkies and care very much about them, but I'm just in awe of my Cochins. They're just such gentle natured birds.

I adore all 70 of mine. The little roos are so sweet and the babies are the fuzziest. I'm starting to appreciate FL Cochins ( I have 3 now)more and more, they are so beautiful.
I don't want fiesty birds, got enough excitement and drama teaching Middle School.
There is so much variety in poultry, a bird for everyone.

Quote:
You have 70?
Ok, new Chicken Math rule......
If someone has more chickens than you do, you must subtract 10 from the number of your own flock.
Oh yea. I like this.

Quote:
I smoked for 36 yrs and quit 3 yrs ago with Chantix. You can get it online tons cheaper now and the stuff works! My husband & brother smoked 28 yrs and quit the same time with Chantix, all 3 of us. I really just don't even think of it now. We'll be there Friday at 6 then.
Quote:
Haha! they're addicting. I do like the standards over the bantams. The little red bantam Cochin I got from you is doing just fine but she's pretty ornery with other chickens so I decided to stick with standard size. Inmy limited experience the bantams always seem to have an attitude.

Quote:
Mine gets to go in with my sacred Cochin younguns after quarrantine, so she'll automatically be Head Hen
smile.png
I get a kick out of my Silkies and care very much about them, but I'm just in awe of my Cochins. They're just such gentle natured birds.

I adore all 7 of mine. The little roos are so sweet and the babies are the fuzziest. I'm starting to appreciate FL Cochins ( I have 3 now)more and more, they are so beautiful.
I don't want fiesty birds, got enough excitement and drama teaching Middle School.
There is so much variety in poultry, a bird for everyone.

MJ I edited the number for you, I think that is right now... How many eggs did you get today? thats how many chickens you have..

Just checking in. What a chatty group today!

NanaKat - Your shabby chic coop is cute. Nice job!

Mjgigax - If I had room, I'd have as many chickens as you do. I'm afraid that I've been bitten by the chicken bug too.
celebrate.gif

Jarvis - I'll get you more okra for you if you want it. Sounds like you definitely need more to do. With all the chicken raising/selling, making pear butter and jam, vegetable seed shopping, etc, surely you can add just one more thing to your list of honey-do's.
big_smile.png

Don't think I saw any posts from P&B today. Hope she's doing alright.

I went over to Home Depot this evening. Big mistake. Went in there for a jig saw but came out with a whole lot more.
barnie.gif

Quote:
I planted some pumkins from seeds we saved last year to see how they do, hope I got them out in time. I went to get some stuff yesterday (seeds) but they didn't have everything I wanted but I figure I will start out small since this will be my first attempt at a fall garden & will possibly set up a small hoop thing to give me a longer growing season.....

I will have to go look at your pic's. I still have so much to learn. I will have to google comfrey roots.

Sooner what seeds are you looking for? Our local supplier is having bulk seed sale at 30-40% off.
I know 1 oz. of Tomatoe seeds for example is under $1 right now and thats alot of tomatoes.. Corn, beans, squash, alot of different things.

I didn't think I would ever catch up on the thread and was only off for a day and a half!
Carl, where do you get your seeds? I bought bulk seeds this year for our church's garden at Horn Seed in OKC and Ross Seed in Chickasha. I think the better prices were at Ross, but the selection at Horns was larger. I am already looking for seeds for next year.

Back
Top Bottom