***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Thanks, everyone, for the happy thoughts and prayers for baby Kendall. She is responding well to the antibiotics. We continue to pray for her full recovery. Mommy went home late yesterday. She will have a difficult time resting with her new baby so far away.
Go Baby Go!! Great news. I can only imagine how depressed your daughter feels going home without her baby.

Christina, how are you doing, girl? Really thinking about you.

I've started on the backing for my fall fusion crocheted/quilted blanket, it is coming together so well I just had to share the pics. I only have 5 done, but it is a start, we haven't even completed the crochet trade yet so plenty of time.

They are machine appliqued instead of pieced

I used the machine feather stitch, but this side (stitched) won't be visible in the finished blanket.

Anybody do anything to boost your bird's immune systems before the show? Any supplements, additives to food or water to help them not get sick?
Yep, there are many things done to get them ready but the real key is breed for a strong imune system and hardy bird.

Will do Carl. Does Stephanie have to work Saturday?
Kass, I enlarged the pictures and saw better hoe you finished the edges...nice look!
macGuyver, Someone on another thread said she gives her birds water with apple cider vinegar (with the mother) in it for several days ahead of shows to boost the probiotics in the gut. Maybe someone who shows will pipe in soon.
I do not believe she will be working this weekend but that has had a tendency to change quickly lately.

Carl, I've registered three to show, but may only bring two. Vashi won't be with me; he doesn't go to the two-day Shawnee event. Look forward to seeing you and Steph.
I understand how that works quite well, I have three I had enetered that will not be going due to feather damage, I had a mouse that really liked the same ones I did and they were the ones that were ready for this show. I guess the younger ones will pick up the slack in Feb. and these will be force molted for the same show.
I have been so dang busy lately and have another group of 10 birds going to show in California in Jan that I have been working with as well.

Hi all! It has been forever since I have been on here. Lost my password and mostly lurked. I am thinking about taking my 8 yo daughter to Shawnee Saturday. She loves the chickens and I bought her some pigeons from Teach a while back, so she wants more now. Any advice on the Shawnee show? Thanks!
Get there early if you want to find good sale birds. Otherwise look them over real good, if you like the ones being shown get a show catalog and entry names and numbers to find out who owns them. You would be surprised how many good birds being shown do not go home with the showman. Talk to the breeder before buying them, most are very open good folks.

Anybody do anything to boost your bird's immune systems before the show? Any supplements, additives to food or water to help them not get sick?
OK, now I will go into a little more detail as to what I do to get them ready it varies a little bit from male to female as the needs are different but in general this is it for me.
I segregate males to individual pens 6-8 weeks ahead of time to keep feathers in good shape. Increase oil content in feed to help add to feather sheen. add a top dress of a special feed additive to help build a bit more body and firm feel. Provide a high roost and a second swinging roost to aid in activity which will raise the wing carriage and add firmness.
Females I will group in pens of just a few birds and provide similar feed and roost poles, just less top dress.
All the birds get oxine in the water to kill bacteria, virus, fungus etc.
All the birds are dipped once a week in a rinse bucket with Oxine to kill any bacteria, virus, fungus. A second dip is a mix of water and permethrin to eliminate any opportunity for mites and lice which is the most common thing to bring home from a show.
While at the show, I bring my own water with oxine mixed in, and feed given in small amounts.
The big thing is get them used to a show coop and being handled this will reduce their stress levels and help keep thier imune system strong.
I dip the birds in Oxine and permethrin both again when the birds come home just to make sure I do not bring anything home with them.

Get there early if you want to find good sale birds. Otherwise look them over real good, if you like the ones being shown get a show catalog and entry names and numbers to find out who owns them. You would be surprised how many good birds being shown do not go home with the showman. Talk to the breeder before buying them, most are very open good folks.
Thanks!

Hello
I know this is going to be alto of fun and informative. I guess i need to let everyone know that I to am an Obie from muskogee. The Wife is thinking about buying more chicks
for the farm. She is thinking about different breed. So any advise to what kind to get would be a big help. RIR, Red star,have really good layers ,so what would be your pick
be for the big brown egg layers?

Back
Top Bottom