***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Hello
I know this is going to be alto of fun and informative. I guess i need to let everyone know that I to am an Obie from muskogee. The Wife is thinking about buying more chicks
for the farm. She is thinking about different breed. So any advise to what kind to get would be a big help. RIR, Red star,have really good layers ,so what would be your pick
be for the big brown egg layers?
frow.gif
from Henryetta and
welcome-byc.gif
and the okie thread. There are several regular posters that are from Muskogee. Layers of big brown eggs, I'd say take a walk on the wild side and try Naked Necks. lol

Like these.

Hello
I know this is going to be alto of fun and informative. I guess i need to let everyone know that I to am an Obie from muskogee. The Wife is thinking about buying more chicks
for the farm. She is thinking about different breed. So any advise to what kind to get would be a big help. RIR, Red star,have really good layers ,so what would be your pick
be for the big brown egg layers?
Welcome!
Marans lay very dark brown eggs.`

This evening I was reminded of the joy of a mama hen with her chicks. A hen managed to hide out and hatch 12 chicks Wed. morning, which I didn't immediately try to capture since it is usually much easier to catch the hen and her chicks at night when she is calmer. Unfortunately, when I went looking for the hen this evening she had moved to a corner out of my reach. I fished the hen out with a net but her 12 chicks scattered. For the next 10 minutes there was a constant echo of chicks and mama as they called to each other in the tin barn. I managed to catch the chicks and put them into the cage with the mama hen, but I wasn't positive that I had all of the chicks because of the echo of chick peeps. Once I caught the last chick however it was immediately obvious that there were no more hiding out, because the chicks all settled down under their mama and the hen stopped calling as well.
jumpy.gif
As long as there was even one chick peeping for the hen, she kept calling to it. Once the chick was underneath her warmth, the whole family settled down and got quiet immediately.

This evening I was reminded of the joy of a mama hen with her chicks. A hen managed to hide out and hatch 12 chicks Wed. morning, which I didn't immediately try to capture since it is usually much easier to catch the hen and her chicks at night when she is calmer. Unfortunately, when I went looking for the hen this evening she had moved to a corner out of my reach. I fished the hen out with a net but her 12 chicks scattered. For the next 10 minutes there was a constant echo of chicks and mama as they called to each other in the tin barn. I managed to catch the chicks and put them into the cage with the mama hen, but I wasn't positive that I had all of the chicks because of the echo of chick peeps. Once I caught the last chick however it was immediately obvious that there were no more hiding out, because the chicks all settled down under their mama and the hen stopped calling as well.
jumpy.gif
As long as there was even one chick peeping for the hen, she kept calling to it. Once the chick was underneath her warmth, the whole family settled down and got quiet immediately.
awesome story

Back
Top Bottom