***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I've had velociraptor for over a month now. I wish it would fill out and get out of the Jurassic park stage.
That looks like a possible Saipan, or other oriental game, it is unlikely it will come out of that stage they are very stilty birds and look much like that even as adults just a bit heavier.

Talk about broodies... I had my share of finding dead chicks so am stealing the 'near' term eggs from my 7 ((yikes 7!)) broodie hens in hopes making chicks to stop this nonsense. I had my first chick returns to two hens last night (so now I am the 'stork') - each of them getting three chicks. Opening up the coop this morning, one of the hens had 4 chicks, one chick as lying in the area where she was nesting - apparently not as robust as the others (he came back into the brooder until stronger), so that left one. I looked the other hens nest box just in time to see her sneaking (SQUEEZING) herself behind the back of the nest box around to a neighbor broody nest to sit on THOSE eggs! .... so some mama hen (NOT!) abandoning a chick to go steal someone else's eggs. Darn. This is the hen I really wanted to start laying again too... I guess I will need to try to break her of this some other way. Oh well.... I am just happy that all six chicks are still alive and that at least one hen is off the nest. Updated: that first hen had three of her now 5 chicks stolen by another hen who I didn't know was broody. Maybe she was just babysitting! :)
If you want to break her, hang a wire cage from two no more than three points so it will rock as she moves, place a fan under the cage to insure she gets a breeze under her, allow feed and water of course, after two to three days she will be done.

Had surgury a couple days ago and while I was laid up something killed one of my peacocks the male I think the hen is on top of one of the coops and I can't coax her down, she dosen't look to be injured just harressed a bit, the body was laying near the pond torn open but doesn't look like anything was eaten, I really need to catch whatever did it and prevent it from getting my last one...

That looks like a possible Saipan, or other oriental game, it is unlikely it will come out of that stage they are very stilty birds and look much like that even as adults just a bit heavier.

It was given to me free when I got a pair of BLRW youngsters. I assumed it was a GLW in the lanky stage.

Had surgury a couple days ago and while I was laid up something killed one of my peacocks the male I think the hen is on top of one of the coops and I can't coax her down, she dosen't look to be injured just harressed a bit, the body was laying near the pond torn open but doesn't look like anything was eaten, I really need to catch whatever did it and prevent it from getting my last one...

Sorry you had to find your peacock that way. Hope all is well regarding your surgery.

Elwood...hope your surgery was minor and you are healing nicely. sorry to hear about the peacock. What animal kills and leaves the carcass?

Shelbydog...nice looking game bird.

Artsyrobyn...pretty Cornish bantam. How is your bird with the lame leg?

We worked the past few days at my MIL's garden while hubby sprayed the pastures there and BIL did some brush hogging. Tied up tomatoes, hoed the cream pea rows and pulled weeds. Then BIL ran the roto-tiller down the middles of all the rows. Her garden looks great. She is just now getting okra.
Then back home to weed two boxes in my own garden.
A Black Rosecomb Bantam has decided to go broody. She is sitting on 8 eggs and growls anytime I'm changing water or adding feed to her pen. So cute!
The rest of the flock is down to 7 broody hens from the original 17. sheesh. I finally resorted to taking each hen not on eggs out to a tub of cold water each morning and holding her in the water up to her neck for a few minutes. Then carried her 50 yards from the hen house to a grassy patch with lots of grasshoppers.
We have an abundance of grasshoppers in the fields. We have roosters taking their flocks to various areas around the barn, the front yard and out to the implement parking to hunt. Even called Beau and his girls back from the hay bales on the hill...way too far from the barn for my comfort.
When we go out in the Ranger to check on the small herds, we are hit by Kamikaze hoppers..I've threatened to take a net with us to catch some to bring back to the juvenile pen...may still do that.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Happy Saturday All.

Wanting to get your opinions..... We have 4 silkies in one coop, and 2 welsummer bantams and 2 EE bantams in another coop. All chicks are about 16 weeks old. We are thinking about adding a faverolle bantam hen to one and/or both coops. What do y'all think about doing that? Or, would you get something other than faverolles?

Don't let the heat and grasshoppers get you down.

Sorry you had to find your peacock that way. Hope all is well regarding your surgery.
Elwood...hope your surgery was minor and you are healing nicely. sorry to hear about the peacock. What animal kills and leaves the carcass?
Hope everyone has a great weekend.
Thanks, I had an Ablation done, the reovery is fairly quick just a little sore at the puncture sites still but otherwise fine, I'm pretty sure the answer to your other question Nana is Dogs, kill for the fun of it and aren't afraid of humans or other dogs so keep coming back.. which ever one(s) did it won't be going home when I catch them,

I'm not going to keep the Peahen, I can't afford another male and I'm not ready to try raising another from a chick so taking her to the sale today with a couple hens and half a dozen New Zealand meat rabbits

Does anyone if there is a sale in Newcastle today? I tried to post this question yesterday and the site wouldn't let me it kept telling me I had to write something before I hit submit, never had that happen before, I guess it could have been my computer it has a mind of it's own LOL

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!
frow.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom