***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Thank you! I have two breeding pens now. 1) is Big Blue (dark blue splash) over four Black hens. And 2) my big Black Bart (the President) over two light Splash hens, two Blue hens and two dark Splash hens. They are all laying except for a Black hen that is broody and sitting on a golf ball. I love the Cochins too and of course love my Wyandotte as well.
By the way, the Deleware Bantams are slowing down on eggs and will start back up again in a few weeks. do you still want eggs this spring?

I do want to hatch some but we've got to be gone for a week in May for my son's wedding in NC. I'm too scared to leave babies so I'm not going to hatch anything until after that. I'll keep in touch when it gets closer to time. I definitely want a hatch of them though.

tony o
what kind of a greenhouse you have and what do you raise in it? My wife and I are building one now just trying to figure out what grows best in oklahoma

thanks

I just bought one of these off of eBay:

I grow tomatoes, potatoes, squash, cantaloupe, watermelon, garlic, onions, broccoli, peppers, beans, peas, strawberries, spinach, lettuce, popcorn and herbs. I am going to try cauliflower and brussel sprouts this year as well. I think you will find Oklahoma very garden friendly. I start a lot inside and then move it outside. My greatest trouble is squash bugs. :0/

Ok. I plan on ordering from Ideal Nursury or McMurry's. Unless you have another place your recommend? They don't seem to be available unitl April or May???

So we will have to wait a few months.

I can place the order. I live in Tulsa, and my transportation is very limited so we would have to figure out how you all are going to get them. But I live withing walking distance to the post office so I can pick them up and get them in the brooder right away when they arrive at the post office. If it is bad weather I will make my hubby go get them before work.

Any other places you can recommend to order? I don't need show quality, I just want some pretty heritage breeds.
I like McMurry's better than I deal my polish and silkies i got from ideal almost all have crocked toes. This was the worst one some of the others were not as bad

and the polish hen i got from Mcmurrys is absolutely gorgeous

Last edited:
Great photography is not about a fancy camera, it is about the "eye" of the one behind the camera. It is about knowing how to compose and what your camera can do and using it to it's fullest. I have taken many pics w/ Gary's $100 point and shoot camera that people have gushed all over about. You can give someone a $1000 camera w/ all the latest settings and lenses and get expensive crappy pics.

@Kassaundra Your pics are AMAZING!!!

My husband bought me a nicer camera several Christmases ago. I rarely use it. I feel so awkward with it and don't know how to use the settings. I feel guilty not using it, but I just don't know how to make the camera "sing". I keep trying though.

Welp, I lost my Dorcus tonight, and I'm just heartbroken beyond words. I'm very thankful Dusti was here when it happened. How in the world we can go and get so attached to a chicken is beyond me, but I sure did love that bird.

I am so sorry to hear this. I know it is pretty late... but I hope my sentiment is a little comfort. It is amazing what we can get attatched to. When we moved into our house I got attatched to a stupid tree behind our fence line. It was big and beautiful. Then the city cut it down because it was dying and a safety hazard. I'm glad they cut it down, but I did morn a bit, and I still miss that tree.

I'm glad I got my camera back, too.

I'm glad you got your camera and everythign else back! Don't worry, we all are forgetful like that at one time or another. It happens.

I think they are very similar chemical symbols for chocolate and caffeine.

I think that would be a very cool tatoo. Chocolate and Caffiene together. If I ever get a tatoo, which is doubtful. I hate needles.

Why on earth would the local Atwoods not have any chicken feed, except for layer ration? I need to get some scratch feed and they have none! Nor any cracked corn, just layer ration pellets and crumbles...
he.gif

@Chickenfan4life I know Claremore is a little bit of a drive from you. But Stillwater milling is the best source for feed in the area. I live in Tulsa, and I go to Lee's Feed mostly. But when visiting my mom in Claremore I try to go to Stillwater Milling. It is a short drive, down the hill, and the drive is really pretty. :)

~~So I was forced to go to Wally world today, our cat is almost out of food and it is the only store in town that sells Iams (his favorite). Anyway today I am sporting a cool set of pig tails, you wouldn't believe the looks I was getting. Now seriously are the "people of Walmart" in any position to sit in fashion judgement on anyone??????

I wear pig tails to work, or some times do a twin braid. I get teased for it at work, but it is just how I am and I love it!

Okay Okie peeps, I participate in a weekly photo challenge and this week the challenge was self portrait I have narrowed it down to 2 choices, but can only pick one to enter. This photo challenge group is just for fun, there is no "winner" or prize or anything like that. Help me decide which to submit. These were both taken today (in the challenge the pics have to be taken the week of the challenge)

A late vote for the 1st one. Kass you have talent. No doubt about it. I love the contrast in the first pic. And the shadows have the air of mystery, making one have to use their imagination about the subject.

Ok. I have to know... WHAT BREED IS SHE??/ She is gorgeous!!!
Not sure of anyone that has Speckled Sussex around here. I am going to get some Light Sussex from a breeder in Arkansas pretty soon. I will pass the question on to him and maybe he knows someone who breeds them. They are pretty!

Thank you True. Any leads on local Sussex would be appreciated.
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and just spent the last oh... 6 or 7 hours reading through the Tulsa thread where I also posted an almost identical introduction so I apologize to those of you who are subscribed to both threads. Haha.
Well, a bit about me: I grew up on a farm in Collinsville but have been away since I was 20 and have even lived in the city (Tulsa) in an apt (something I said I would NEVER do) for the last year. Now that I'm settling down a bit (at 26) I think I'm ready to start looking at something a bit more permanent. Since I'm a teacher in an inner-city school I am looking at houses in town but I want enough of a backyard to keep my allotted 6 hens, a garden, and possibly some bees (my dream). After reading through this I REALLY want some BCMs and I had a flock of buff orpingtons growing up so I'd like to try some blacks.
I'm going to search this but maybe you all can answer it. What size lot should I be looking at for what I'm thinking about? I think a quarter acre is too small but I could be wrong. I don't want more than 1.5 or at the VERY max 2. I had 2.5 at one point and it was way too much for me. Plus, that's not a realistic lot size for in town and my price range.
Anyway, thank you guys for all of the insight I have already gained and everything I look forward to learning from you!

Welcome @Mattok1 I live in Tulsa! I grew up in Claremore, and went to Oologah for school. Very familiar with collinsville, I have some very happy (not very innocent) memoires in Collinsville.

I hope you find/found a good house. If you need any more enabling in the city, There is a FB group, Urban Farming Guild of Tulsa, where a bunch of us share ideas. Some times we bicker and sqwable... but most of the group is a nice and helpful group, and will help you navagate the city codes.

I have less than a 1/4 acre. I was able to squeeze in a decent size chicken run. I think I built my coop too small, but it's built and it still works for now. But i also have a garden. I live in eastern Tulsa. There are some nice lots and homes for pretty economical over here. One is right across the park from me, and is in forclosure if you are looking for a fixer upper.

welcome-byc.gif
I have learned more here than I have from any books. It's a great place to be.
woot.gif

Me too. I have found that no matter how many books I read, I find better advice on the internet. But I sitll LOVE BOOKS!

Sonny is starting to really look good, was doing his feet, rinse and neosporin and part of a toe came off, the pad under a nail, hopefully the nail will stay- he is really turning into a chow hound-

@artsyrobin he/she is looking so nice and pretty. His feathers look better. Thanks for doing what you can for him/her.

welcome-byc.gif
to you!!! You have come to a great place.. There are a number of teachers on here, to include myself..

I am a special ed teacher..

We homeschool. I guess that counts me as a teacher too.
:)

Thanks yes these little spitz's are adorable. I thought they would hatch with a little bit of a head fluff like some of the other crested breeds I've had but they hatched smooth, it is amazing how quickly their bump on the head formed!
Lonny... you had to share that cute pic didn't you. I aleeady have a wish list a mile long and that just got added to it!!
barnie.gif
wink.png

This past weekend we took advantage of the nice temps and added field fencing to the bottom of the perimeter of our coop. We have 2 labs. One is a sweetheart and has never messed with the chicken coop. The 2nd is a true lab and loves getting into the coop. So we are fixing it to make it safer for our new flock.

I also have been pruning trees. We have 4 huge trees that are right next to the coop. We purposefully built the coop there thinking it would be nice for shade. But it's really becomming a pain in the hind end. The trees really are too close together and are not healthy, so they are dropping their limbs on our coop. It will be at least another year before we can pay the cash to have them cut down (they are huge and we have to be careful to not hit neighbors). I cleaned up the trees the best I could with a small pole saw, now I have to start repairing the top netting on the run.

We took today off schoolwork to catch up on housework. We planted seeds earlier and our first baby seedling emerged this morning. Watching seedlings is not as exciting as watching chicks, but I enjoy seeing new surprises everytime I walk by the seedling shelves.

I hope you all stay nice and warm today and this weekend!!! Brr!

Angela

Ok, here's some shots. It's too bad pictures don't show how special these guys are to me. Robin, the 1st ones are Lillith. He's 18 months old now so I don't know how much of a comparison it is. Littlith is the most awesome boy! Super gentle and sweet, he's lived with his 7 Orloff girls since they were all 2 days old and he's so good to them. They have a bench to roost on but they don't use it, the girls all huddle up underneath Lillith to sleep. One night I went into their building in the dark to get their feed tub, it was pitch black. Something rammed into my legs so hard it was all I could do to stay upright lol It was Lillith protecting his girls! I was so proud of him. Once I talked to him and he realized it was me he was fine. His dad was an aggressive fool but Lillith never has been. I put an arrow by his sickle feathers in the one picture. Hens look all rounded and poofy but roosters tails are long and spikey and they stand up super tall and straight. I do think your Buff is a girl and can't wait to find out.

I hatched 4 eggs from Lillith and his Orloffs, they're 3 months old now (2 boys, 2 girls). The boys have a lot more gold on them, feathered legs, beards and cushion combs, really sweet and calm. So here's what a Brown Rd Cochin/Orloff cross cockerel looks like :)

And I was right there so I just had to get new pictures of my Spitzhaubens. I adore these guys and hope nothing happens to them before I get a chance to hatch their eggs.

Look at the white on those spitz!
ep.gif
Just the contrast of white against a red comb is gorgeous.

Thank you so much for your reply. My mail was going to my spam box so I missed lots. Thank you again and it looks like the timing is perfect try again this spring.

Sonny is definitly boy- look at the dfference a week makes- he is really amazingly calm, i think i have found my LARGE breed... he is 12 inches at the shoulder and from what i have read, won't attain full growth for another year, he has lost 3 toenails so far to frostbite, am hoping that is the extent of it

Back
Top Bottom