***OKIES in the BYC III ***

That will work for me too. You are the one coming long distance so you chose the time.
How about noon? If you prefer earlier or later just say so :)

Could frostbite get into the bone? The little rooster I have with it won't use his leg and it's swollen also. It never occurred to me to worry about a bone infection. Him and his hen are both eating real good though.

I have thought about getting my girls involved with 4H, I am just spread so thin anyway, I just don't think I can add one more thing... :0/ Plus, spring is coming and I coach a USATF track team in Edmond/OKC area - once practice starts in March I will not be able to look up again until the end of June!
I totally understand @i-love-my-honey My hubby is in school full time, working full time plus weekend job when he can get one. I work part time plus home school our kids. Our life is really really crazy. But I am glad we are in 4H.

That is so neat that you coach! I hope you can find some time to breath though! :)

Our youngest daughter is a nurse, and her shift changed from weekday days to all weekend. Daycare options are few and expensive, so Granny and Pop-pop's house seemed the best solution. This work schedule could become permanent, so buying the essentials, like car seats and beds, wasn't optional.

I've been thinking about Black Spanish turkeys. I read somewhere that hawks look down at a flock that includes Black Spanish turkeys and mistakes them for carrion birds, so the hawks stay away. Does anybody know if this is true? The turkey Kyzmette, Shelbydog, and I met a few weekends ago was too social to be considered a carrion bird. He sure was handsome, but his behavior was more like that of a puppy than a vulture.

Poco - I just want to say... Thanks for being there for your daughter. I have a mom less than an hr away, but I can't trust her with my kids. My in-laws are 24 hrs away. When I was a younger mom it was really really hard because I didn't have a suport system. You are making a difference in your grand kids life. Thank you.

I am so sorry to hear of your co-worker loss. That is really sad. I hope that you are able to find comfort by finding little bits of her in her son.

We are running 100 momma cows and have expenses beyond the backyard chicken owner so we
have a farm tax number for the farm. That way we get a tax exemption on feed for livestock, cattle and supplies therefor I keep a separate ledger for those expenses and the Schedule F form (profit or loss from farming) is used on filing federal taxes. It covered all aspects of farming/ranch expenses including equipment, etc. My chicken feed, meds and upkeep are expenses allowed in the farm tax area.

If you sell eggs, chicks, etc it is considered income. You offset the income by keeping records on your expenses. If you are operating at a loss as a "hobby farmer" ...which might describe most who have a small flock, then you may want to explore claiming it. To see if you want to offset your regular income by the "loss" by those expenses. then ask a tax consultant if it would be worth it get a tax exempt number.

As a hobby farmer, expenses can be considered pet expenses. But, I would still keep records if you buy and sell chicks and eggs, etc. to show a loss.

Thanks! I will look into that! My hubby is going to school to be an accountant. I will ask him about this.

I have seen ratios for ACV in water for 1T per gal and as much as 1/4c per gallon. What is best? Can you use the same strength for chicks and adults? Also, do you rotate every other water fill with Oxine?

Do you use diatomaceous earth? I bought some for my garden but saw that it was actually made for livestock and poultry. Would that make a good dust bath indoors?

I have not used DE yet. But I plan too. I have an urban farming friend who uses it alot. She likes to mix it in with scrambled eggs to worm them naturally. She also sprinkles it in the chicken coop and the chicken house to help deter pests. She gets the food grade, and she even gives it to herself and her kids at times.

Hey fellow Oklahomans glad to be here!!!

Welcome!!! I'm from Tulsa! Nice to "meet" you.

I am so stoked, I just have to share!

I will be going, on a bus, with all the fellow participants of Zoi's Animal Rescue, to the Lobby Day in Oklahoma City. I am very excited about this.

wee.gif

I have a FB friend/aquantence going that day too. Maybe you will meet up with her?

False alarm. The incubator I thought I still had is currently in a classroom in Tulsa. DH reminded me that at the end of last school year I left the house with an incubator under one arm and two dozen eggs under the other. A month later I went back to Tulsa and picked up the chicks, but I left the incubator with the teacher so that she could hatch duck eggs next year.
hmm.png
I have the empty box here on a shelf, which is why I thought I still had the incubator. Sorry about that.

@Poco Pollo If you call your local OSU Extention office, they rent incubators to classrooms and 4H members for projects. Your county might have one availalbe???? Worth a try anyway?

I am a mess this morning
barnie.gif
.....I feel like the worst chicken keeper (I know we all have to live and learn).

Hugs to you! I'm glad by now your hen is doing better. We all make mistakes. I'm glad that this mistake wasn't worse. And it really wasn't a mistake. This thing happen when having chickens. And no matter how close you look and how careful you are, you will always miss something.
Can anyone tell me the best place to buy hardware cloth or wire to build coops and runs without costing an arm and a leg. Thanks

I like to try to get mine from Lee's Feed in Catoosa. Just west of 193rd on 11th. Some times if they have an open roll they will sell it to you by the foot so you can buy just what you need.

I had my Corronation Sussex, with the frostbit feet put down, Allthe toes on one foot were black and dried up and the other foot was almost as bad. He was starting to not walk plus he had a reoccuring rattle that even tylan 50 couldn't cure. Since he was a large breed I didn't think it was fair to even try to see if he could walk on stubs. He was such a sweet bird, I feel so bad.

I am so sorry for your loss. He sounded like he was a great bird.
Just found out my 8 year old needs glasses... we have no vision insurance and money is very tight so I searched back remembering this conversation- so excited to let him look through their selection tonight! It's the only way I can afford to get him glasses right now. The eye exam alone was $125.

@lonnyandrinda THANK YOU for searching and posting this!!! We lost our eye insurance in Sept last year. All of us need new glasses. This site seems like it is a godsend!!!

Tomorrow is Thursday or as my coworkers and I like to call it Friday Eve... Looking at the forecast for next week it looks like it is going to get really nasty... I am honestly sick of winter, mainly because I hurt all the time..
barnie.gif
Hope everyone has a good day tomorrow. The weather is supposed to be wonderful....

Me too. I do not like the weather that is forcasted. I hate cold weather. I really wish we had a fireplace! I love my house. But I could really use a wood stove or a fireplace or something!

Stay warm. Cuddle under blankies and sip lots of coffee/tea!!!

How about noon? If you prefer earlier or later just say so :)

Could frostbite get into the bone? The little rooster I have with it won't use his leg and it's swollen also. It never occurred to me to worry about a bone infection. Him and his hen are both eating real good though.

Not w/o serious injury that would be VERY obvious to the soft tissues on top of the bone.

I was meaning more an injury that set up an infection in the foot, maybe even a tiny puncture in the toe or webbing (close to the smallest bones) that had just the right exposure to set up infection that lead to sepsis.

The sx to me seem much more then an isolated foot injury. (even a frost bite)

Oh and Noon will be fine w/ me.

Last edited:
Really sounds more like sepsis to me. The swelling of the leg may indicate that is where the infection started maybe even a bone infection.

What is the condition of the skin under the scales on her leg? I saw a roo with horrible scaly leg mites at the auction in Inola last year. His extremities looked like those of the elephant man. He had blood oozing from under some of his scales, and his feet were bulbous and deformed with swelling. Mites make a bird listless and you'll see loss of appetite. They also cause pain and swelling. Just a thought.

why are you treating with corrid? the penG is good, you may need to force feed...

Not w/o serious injury that would be VERY obvious to the soft tissues on top of the bone.

I was meaning more an injury that set up an infection in the foot, maybe even a tiny puncture in the toe or webbing (close to the smallest bones) that had just the right exposure to set up infection that lead to sepsis.

The sx to me seem much more then an isolated foot injury. (even a frost bite)

Oh and Noon will be fine w/ me.

When I first saw her I thought "Cocci" by her behavior- listless, fluffed, sleeping, not eating or drinking- then I saw her foot and jumped to treating that. But she's still not eating or drinking so I'm adding Corid to the water, Dawg said I could use both Corid and Pen G at the same time.

The skin between the scales at first looked taut and white. It is not at taut now and showing less since the swelling is going down. Going to force her to eat and drink today every few hours as I finally have a day to be home all day. The "blister" or wound between her toes is not really healing, just a flap of skin there like a blister popped.

I totally understand @i-love-my-honey My hubby is in school full time, working full time plus weekend job when he can get one. I work part time plus home school our kids. Our life is really really crazy. But I am glad we are in 4H.

That is so neat that you coach! I hope you can find some time to breath though! :)

I have not used DE yet. But I plan too. I have an urban farming friend who uses it a lot. She likes to mix it in with scrambled eggs to worm them naturally. She also sprinkles it in the chicken coop and the chicken house to help deter pests. She gets the food grade, and she even gives it to herself and her kids at times.
I homeschool my girls as well. What curriculum do you use?

I got some food grade DE through a co-op I order my chicken feed from. I originally got it for my garden and was surprised to see pictures of animals on the front and have it labeled as a food additive. Don't know that I am quite ready to ingest it myself, though! :0)

Good morning. How is everyone?
It is a beautiful day. It is cold but I am not complaining. I am brewing a pot of coffee - more cups than usual - but still one pot. ;)

Last Sunday we went to @BetsyOk and picked up a pair of Silkies.

The lighting is horrible. But it is a Blue hen and Self Blue rooster. The hen is broody, which I do not mind, I just wish she also laid some eggs to brood. lol. Do any of you have Silkie eggs for sale? Just 3?

They really are sweet. Not quite snuggle bunnies yet. But they no longer panick when we pick them up. We gave her a nest box yesterday and she spend the rest of the day content on the hay making little happy noises.

She also gave us a pair of OEG. A mother-son pair. The hen decided it didn't want to go home with us and escaped my daughter's arms. After leading us on a short chase weilding nets, Betsy through the brambles (so sorry Betsy) she hopped the neighbor's fence and we had to give up our effort.

After we left Little miss hen came back home and Betsy put her back in her home pen.

But we made it home with the rooster.

He is a sweetheart with thesweetest little crow. (My hubby doesn't think it is sweet but the girls and I do.) He rode in my girls' lap the whole way home, quiet as a little lamb.

He has some frostbite on his comb which I am treating with neosporin, coconut oil, and bag balm.

All 3 are inside right now. The hen is a little thin from being broody and not eating. I am not sure how well the rooster by himself can keep her warm at night. The OEG rooster is quiet most of the time and no bother. He does not like being ignored if you are in the same room though. :)

So we have started our own little flock. :)

Good Morning! It IS a super day.....always a might windy though. Congratulations on the Silkies NoSuperWoman, they look lovely.
You will love them and when not hatching their own eggs they will hatch any you give them.
I am still diligently hunting Frizzle banty chickens, chicks or even eggs. Has to be where I can drive to get them or not extremely high shipping, I am so afraid of shipped eggs.
Sooner or later someone will see my post and answer me.
At present I am into trying to get a nice flock of Mille Fleur Cochins and a flock of Mille Fleur D'Uccle, plus my Silkie and Showgirls. I keep a little
bunch of Blue Wyandotte for eating eggs.
Just finished a hatch of mixed chickens [also for eating eggs.] Plus 8 MFC
That's about all thats happening around here, keeping an eye out for a pesky bald eagle that is haunting the neighborhood. I am sure the banty chickens would make a lovely chicken snack for him.
Hope everyone has a blessed day.

Back
Top Bottom