***OKIES in the BYC III ***

4 cents a pound isn't bad at all. With chickens and hogs it can be nearly their sole ration since they get a lot of minerals from the dirt that they play in. But for chickens I would be tempted to sprout some Alfalfa too for that dark yolk that looks so good on a plate. LOL

The cost would be roughly the same as a 1300 pound round bale at 50 a bale plus the benefit of better nutrition.

If anyone can build a good fodder system on the cheap you can.
I hear you about the price. As for building a system I think I can get what is needed at the hardware store and some of it from Habitats for Humanities.

Muesky, think you could grab me a bag of wheat seed? I cant find it at atwoods or tractor supply.
I have to order it, they don't keep it in stock. Next time I go I will order you a bag and let you know how much.

Starting a fodder system tomorrow, I have seeds soaking now
welcome-byc.gif
The Okie Addition!!! Please share your system, we are all interested in how it works.
pop.gif

i have been experimenting with the mill worms i found my first babies yesterday.
I am considering growing meal worms and earth worms. It is cool you already have babies... Whoot! Whoot!

I hear you about the price. As for building a system I think I can get what is needed at the hardware store and some of it from Habitats for Humanities.

I have to order it, they don't keep it in stock. Next time I go I will order you a bag and let you know how much.

welcome-byc.gif
The Okie Addition!!! Please share your system, we are all interested in how it works.
pop.gif

I am considering growing meal worms and earth worms. It is cool you already have babies... Whoot! Whoot!
I know i'm so excited it took a few months but now i am finding little ones
wee.gif

Last edited:
All is well with the new babies. No losses through the night, and they are settling in well. I am still a bit concerned about one of the golden buffs but she seems okay for now. I have had quite a bit of pasties today. Are some breeds more prone than others? The EE's and Leghorns are all fine but the GBuffs, Brahmas, and the little Enigma all are having a hard time. I am trying to clean them before it hardens, but I will be going to work. Hopefully they will be okay for several hours.

All is well with the new babies.  No losses through the night, and they are settling in well.  I am still a bit concerned about one of the golden buffs but she seems okay for now.  I have had quite a bit of pasties today.  Are some breeds more prone than others?  The EE's and Leghorns are all fine but the GBuffs, Brahmas, and the little Enigma all are having a hard time.  I am trying to clean them before it hardens, but I will be going to work.  Hopefully they will be okay for several hours.

Use playsand in the brooder and it seems to really help. I guess it firms things up when they eat some of the sand. It's like grit to them.
Enigma...that's cute!

Does anyone know if the little pullet we hatched that is half Welsummer bantam and half EE bantam is considered an Olive Egger? She hasn't started laying yet and we're wondering if the eggs will be green.
big_smile.png

Does anyone know if the little pullet we hatched that is half Welsummer bantam and half EE bantam is considered an Olive Egger? She hasn't started laying yet and we're wondering if the eggs will be green.
big_smile.png
if she was hatched out of a blue egg then yes. blue egg layer crossed with brown egg layers are olive eggers.

Back
Top Bottom