***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Thanks for the input, I've recently raised the temp as I've had delayed hatches with poor results. My most recent hatch was great. Not sure why all of a sudden 'this' one would have been too hot. I know that the room has been warmer though - now not freezing with the winter - (in an attached garage - so daily temp does not fluctuate too much but the ambient temp is certainly a few degrees warmer than in the previous hatch. But, one would have thought that the incubator would have been able to deal with that.

Could be humidity issues too, I will assume that the doors to the outside are opened regularly which causes fluctuations in the humidity. Get a hydrometer that will record the high and low readings. The inside of a house is much more stable as there is a larger area to compensate for fluctuations.

This is for all of those joining us recently and for the rest of us to bond over.

This is great! I feel this starting to happen in my house. We actually had a family meeting about selling our house and moving out to the country this morning!
Nigerian dwarfs are next on our must have list! Plus were getting pretty attached to our little d'uccle (Mille fleur) rooster. He's adorable and still young enough that having him is no big deal. But in a few months it will be a problem :( what is it about roosters? When they're great they're the greatest.

Free Americauna rooster in the Duncan/Marlow area. He's beautiful. It's too windy to take a picture. He's great with my two grown hens but he's aggressive towards my NN juveniles.
About an hour away from Duncan, if I had my coop built i would take him!
barnie.gif

I thought someone on here a while back was saying they had some cornish they where getting rid of or selling.  I have a friend that is looking for a Cornish Rooster.

I don't have a rooster, just half a dozen chicks... maybe one of them is a rooster-in-training. I thought one of the people just starting their flock might want a good dual-purpose bird.

Now, in the category of "Something-I-Never-Would-Have-Expected", my mother got me an Easter present. I came home to seven Indian Red Jungle Fowl day old chicks. Not exactly a bird I ever would have picked for myself, but I was amazingly touched anyway. She actually figured out how to order them online and bought them from Purely Poultry.

Got home from the funeral and decided to take time with the chickens to filter my thoughts.
I've been collecting eggs for the next hatch schedules. There are 6 hens that are seriously broody so I set up brood cages and gave them 50 eggs to hatch. All of them raked their eggs under and settled in right away hen purring. And still had 48 eggs to go in the incubator. There are Bantam eggs that will go in the incubator when the next batch moves to the hatcher on the 19th.

The dogs found a rabbit nest in the garden. Five baby cottontails still had their eyes closed. Gracie got to them before I did....won't be bunnies in the garden unless momma rabbit has more babies. Gracie protects animals she knows are ours, but will kill any wild critter she corners. Even at 10 years of age, she bounces like a kangaroo when she is on the hunt. I'm always pleased when she kills a snake.

I don't have a rooster, just half a dozen chicks... maybe one of them is a rooster-in-training. I thought one of the people just starting their flock might want a good dual-purpose bird.

Now, in the category of "Something-I-Never-Would-Have-Expected", my mother got me an Easter present. I came home to seven Indian Red Jungle Fowl day old chicks. Not exactly a bird I ever would have picked for myself, but I was amazingly touched anyway. She actually figured out how to order them online and bought them from Purely Poultry.

Has she explained how she chose this breed? Maybe there's something to it. Maybe the breed "spoke to her" in a way that she didn't really understand, but couldn't resist. Do you have any pictures?

I thought someone on here a while back was saying they had some cornish they where getting rid of or selling.  I have a friend that is looking for a Cornish Rooster.

Your mom has awesome taste! I guess I didn't even realize hatcheries had that breed. I looked into them a long while back and was really impressed. I'm with Coral-no way she just randomly picked such a cool breed. I'd love to hear how she decided on them.

Nana, I hope the chicken therapy helped. Can't even imagine how his wife's going to feel tomorrow morning. How do you wake up one day and your spouse of all those years is gone? Where would you even begin to try to pull your life together?

Back
Top Bottom