***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I am having such a bad time at work I can't wait to get home to my chickens!!!! State Testing has turned some of these teachers into monsters and it is difficult to deal with them.

This is very long, but thought it might be of interest to some, and encouraging to some who might experience something similar.

About two months ago, my best young paint rooster horrifically injured my best paint female--a pullet I'd fairly recently shown. The pen they were in is segmented into four sections that are divided by a 2' wall that he'd learned to get over. He originally had four hens in the first section, but regularly visited the other three sections. He'd enticed three of the other young hens into his domain, leaving the next door pen empty, two hens in the third, and a paint showgirl cockerel, a buff/paint showgirl pullet, and the paint silkie pullet in question in the fourth section.

Vashi had told me he was chasing her, and I was keeping somewhat of an eye on things, 'though there didn't appear to be a real problem until that day. I guess it was sort of a "Don't resist me, you know you want it" sort of thing. This rooster has never injured another hen in any way before or since, and his harem that now numbers seven + the one lone hen in section three (I sold the other one) appear to adore him. He follows Vashi and me from section to section, usually excepting section four where he has so far allowed the paint showgirl cockerel to keep his mate, but doesn't attack either of us.

Vashi forgot to tell me he was chasing her relentlessly early that morning, so it was several hours before I went out to feed and discovered her injuries. He had peeled a large flap of skin--about 3" long and 5" wide from her back and right side, that was only stuck to her by a thread, and was pretty well dry, precluding trying to reattach it. She was able to move around and could use both wings and legs, and was not in shock, but was a very shocking sight! He'd also made a deep gouge in her right side. I rushed her into the house and slathered her with Neosporin, filling the gouge with it. I put her in a cage isolated from the other chickens, but where she could see and hear some of them, I've only had one other incident where a rooster has injured a pullet/hen, and it was nothing like this--but I've read of others who've had severe injuries. Not knowing what else to do, I put Duramycin-10 (Tetracycline Hydrochloride powder) in her water for a couple of weeks and force-fed her Polyvisol vitamins daily for most of that time. From the beginning, she was alert, ate and drank well, and acted almost completely normally. I had no idea how this would turn out. We really cannot afford drastic veterinary treatment for even a favorite chicken (which she now is), even if we had access to an avian vet who would know what to do. The only thing I could think of was debridement and massive skin grafts, which certainly she couldn't provide, having so much skin missing, so I decided to let nature take its course.

I'd previously had one OEGB chick whose mother peeled the skin backwards off her head, and I was able to isolate the chick, medicate it, and pull most of the skin back onto her head. She survived, but never grew feathers back on her head.

I'v'e kept close watch on her, but only cleaned or treated the massive wound the one time, fearing introducing contaminants. I did pick her up often, examining and smelling the wound. There were no signs of infection or gangrene, and the entire wound scabbed over. In a couple of weeks, I was sure I was seeing skin slowly growing around the edges of the entire huge wound, but I never expected feathers. At this point, it appears that the skin that is growing back is producing feathers, and there is only about a quarter size patch in the middle of her back that isn't covered--but it still looks pretty rough. I haven't checked her side in a few days, but I could see the skin was also growing back there. I do know the human body is capable of absorbing dried blood and such from its own wounds.

She continues to eat well and act completely normally, including preening! I am absolutely amazed at their regenerative abilities, especially since in other instances they seem to be so vulnerable and frail!

Fortunately this happened before the flies were out, or I feel sure the outcome would have been different. She'll always have a special place in our hearts, and if she's ever exposed to any male again, she'll have a lovely apron!

BetsyOK, that's a fantastic story, and congrats on getting her healthy again. There are two different camps on the flies, but I found when I had my issues with a dog attack that the maggots actually helped. I've heard others say that maggots can eat healthy flesh, too, but I haven't had that problem in my wounded chickies.

@BetsyOK OMG I am so glad she is recovering! Amazing how well they can heal given a chance- hope you keep an eye on that boy..wow...he needs to relax a bit..:)

I'm still able to post only in reply to posts that somehow appear in my e-mail inbox, and I'm never sure when they will "take".

NanaKat, I'm so sorry for your family's loss, but I know you have a strong family that will support each other well.

Welcome all the new members!

I can commiserate with all who are having hatching and other problems--been there, done that. You do learn from each experience, 'though, and we all know it is worth continuing with these fascinating and endearing birds.

Looking forward to seeing everyone at POOPS!

Anybody know of Oprington breeders near central Oklahoma?
I have been searching feverishly and cannot find any! :(
Please reply ASAP, thanks!
smile.png

This is very long, but thought it might be of interest to some, and encouraging to some who might experience something similar.

About two months ago, my best young paint rooster horrifically injured my best paint female--a pullet I'd fairly recently shown. The pen they were in is segmented into four sections that are divided by a 2' wall that he'd learned to get over. He originally had four hens in the first section, but regularly visited the other three sections. He'd enticed three of the other young hens into his domain, leaving the next door pen empty, two hens in the third, and a paint showgirl cockerel, a buff/paint showgirl pullet, and the paint silkie pullet in question in the fourth section.

Vashi had told me he was chasing her, and I was keeping somewhat of an eye on things, 'though there didn't appear to be a real problem until that day. I guess it was sort of a "Don't resist me, you know you want it" sort of thing. This rooster has never injured another hen in any way before or since, and his harem that now numbers seven + the one lone hen in section three (I sold the other one) appear to adore him. He follows Vashi and me from section to section, usually excepting section four where he has so far allowed the paint showgirl cockerel to keep his mate, but doesn't attack either of us.

Vashi forgot to tell me he was chasing her relentlessly early that morning, so it was several hours before I went out to feed and discovered her injuries. He had peeled a large flap of skin--about 3" long and 5" wide from her back and right side, that was only stuck to her by a thread, and was pretty well dry, precluding trying to reattach it. She was able to move around and could use both wings and legs, and was not in shock, but was a very shocking sight! He'd also made a deep gouge in her right side. I rushed her into the house and slathered her with Neosporin, filling the gouge with it. I put her in a cage isolated from the other chickens, but where she could see and hear some of them, I've only had one other incident where a rooster has injured a pullet/hen, and it was nothing like this--but I've read of others who've had severe injuries. Not knowing what else to do, I put Duramycin-10 (Tetracycline Hydrochloride powder) in her water for a couple of weeks and force-fed her Polyvisol vitamins daily for most of that time. From the beginning, she was alert, ate and drank well, and acted almost completely normally. I had no idea how this would turn out. We really cannot afford drastic veterinary treatment for even a favorite chicken (which she now is), even if we had access to an avian vet who would know what to do. The only thing I could think of was debridement and massive skin grafts, which certainly she couldn't provide, having so much skin missing, so I decided to let nature take its course.

I'd previously had one OEGB chick whose mother peeled the skin backwards off her head, and I was able to isolate the chick, medicate it, and pull most of the skin back onto her head. She survived, but never grew feathers back on her head.

I'v'e kept close watch on her, but only cleaned or treated the massive wound the one time, fearing introducing contaminants. I did pick her up often, examining and smelling the wound. There were no signs of infection or gangrene, and the entire wound scabbed over. In a couple of weeks, I was sure I was seeing skin slowly growing around the edges of the entire huge wound, but I never expected feathers. At this point, it appears that the skin that is growing back is producing feathers, and there is only about a quarter size patch in the middle of her back that isn't covered--but it still looks pretty rough. I haven't checked her side in a few days, but I could see the skin was also growing back there. I do know the human body is capable of absorbing dried blood and such from its own wounds.

She continues to eat well and act completely normally, including preening! I am absolutely amazed at their regenerative abilities, especially since in other instances they seem to be so vulnerable and frail!

Fortunately this happened before the flies were out, or I feel sure the outcome would have been different. She'll always have a special place in our hearts, and if she's ever exposed to any male again, she'll have a lovely apron!
Wow, Does he still have his spurs? Do they even NEED their spurs?

Back
Top Bottom