***OKIES in the BYC III ***

ok, mystery from a friends hen, year old hen laid this- any clues?
To me this looks like a seriously misshapen egg with a very soft shell. It looks like the soft shell lined the oviduct and took on its shape before she laid it. Sometimes it happens, and it could be a fluke or it could be a sign they need additional calcium in their diet.

Hey everyone, thanks for the support and kindness. We made it to Amarillo last night and got to spend some time with FIL. He had some really serious injuries, but so far things are looking bright. He rested most of the day today, which is great. He is supposed to try to sit up tomorrow, so that must be good news! Here is a picture of the accident. We are from the country, so of course we knew someone who came upon the wreck. :rolleyes:

Everyone says he must have had a guardian angel. He is living proof that seatbelts save lives!

Hey everyone, thanks for the support and kindness. We made it to Amarillo last night and got to spend some time with FIL. He had some really serious injuries, but so far things are looking bright. He rested most of the day today, which is great. He is supposed to try to sit up tomorrow, so that must be good news! Here is a picture of the accident. We are from the country, so of course we knew someone who came upon the wreck. :rolleyes:

Everyone says he must have had a guardian angel. He is living proof that seatbelts save lives!

I am so glad he is getting better. Yikes. This is why I'm afraid of driving!

ok, mystery from a friends hen, year old hen laid this- any clues?

Lash egg maybe? Those usually indicate a problem with the reproductive system and sometimes an end to laying. But most lash egg photos I've seen have more of at least one "clump" spot.

Hey everyone, thanks for the support and kindness. We made it to Amarillo last night and got to spend some time with FIL. He had some really serious injuries, but so far things are looking bright. He rested most of the day today, which is great. He is supposed to try to sit up tomorrow, so that must be good news! Here is a picture of the accident. We are from the country, so of course we knew someone who came upon the wreck.
roll.png

Wow I'm so glad it looks like he will be all right!

@Poco Pollo I love your new silkies coloring, chocolate brown! Toooo lovely! I also like the coloring of your runner ducks. And I think it's super sweet you took in that pretty little crossbeak. She's a cutie, I don't think I've seen such a severe example of it before. Glad it doesn't hold her back or affect eating. I'm so tempted to ask about your goose....but then I think "were still moving in, don't take on too much" but then I read that good with chickens and ducks part and I just gotta ask, how is she with people/kids? And what exactly do geese do? Kill snakes? Scare people with bread? I'm honestly curious.

@KyzmetteI'm partial to that little teddy bear bunny! But they're both cute. I think bunnies are fairly easy to sex, YouTube it. Just be careful, there are other "bunnies" in the biz

@ksane I'm glad you recognized the soft shell egg for what it was. I think we will all sleep better tonight. Seriously tho, I'm glad to see that image and explanation before potentially finding it in my own coop.

@bardies that conure story took a quick turn. :( that's really REALLY hard to understand. There were so many options left. Eek.

Here are some of my new flock members.

This is a shy little guy, an adorable Muscovy drake, from Shelbydog. He makes an "aaaaah aaaaah" noise when I hold him. He has intensely expressive eyes. Maybelline should look into a gold/orange eyeliner for dark-eyed women.

This is a cross-beak hen from Robin. Her condition is severe, yet she is able to eat, drink, and forage as well as her contemporaries. I don't think she is laying, but I often see her in the nest. She's sweet and friendly. I'm really happy to be able to provide a forever home for her.

These are my new Chocolate Silkies. They are broad-breasted and very sturdy. This was their first opportunity to dust bathe. What a sight! It was like watching Bugs Bunny dig a hole in fast motion. Dirt was flying everywhere.
aww there's my Shasta, yes she lays, a large brown speckle egg- she is looking very happy!

those silkies are awesome- love the color! Yes, they are hilarious to watch dustbathe!

will pass on the thoughts on that odd egg or whatever- when one of my girls laid a lash, it was soilid, an the hen that laid this one is young-

@Poco Pollo I love your new silkies coloring, chocolate brown! Toooo lovely! I also like the coloring of your runner ducks. And I think it's super sweet you took in that pretty little crossbeak. She's a cutie, I don't think I've seen such a severe example of it before. Glad it doesn't hold her back or affect eating. I'm so tempted to ask about your goose....but then I think "were still moving in, don't take on too much" but then I read that good with chickens and ducks part and I just gotta ask, how is she with people/kids? And what exactly do geese do? Kill snakes? Scare people with bread? I'm honestly curious.

My Toulouse goose is great with my granddaughters. They often try to pet the goose, but the goose walks away rather than submit. The goose tolerates my attention, especially when I'm filling food dishes. If I have a treat, the goose will eat from my hand. I don't know what other geese do, but this one spends a lot of time sunbathing, eating, soaking in a rubber tub, and conversing with our two duck populations. The chickens stand shoulder to shoulder with the goose at the food dish, and at night the goose shares quarters with nine ducks and two cranky old standard Cornish hens.
aww there's my Shasta, yes she lays, a large brown speckle egg- she is looking very happy!
those silkies are awesome- love the color! Yes, they are hilarious to watch dustbathe!
will pass on the thoughts on that odd egg or whatever- when one of my girls laid a lash, it was soilid, an the hen that laid this one is young-

I'm only getting blue eggs and chocolate-brown eggs right now, which is why I said I didn't think Shasta is laying. It's been really hot, so maybe she's like the majority of my layers, conserving energy trying to stay cool. I really love that hen. When offered treats, she's shy at first; but if another hen tries to go ahead of her, she rushes forward and does her best to gobble the treat in one gulp. Unless she develops trouble eating and drinking, I think I'm going to leave the cross beak issue alone. I thought I would work on the beak, to try to make eating easier for her, but she seems really independent. I'd hate it if my "help" turned out to be more of a hinderance to Shasta.

@Kyzmette I'm partial to that little teddy bear bunny! But they're both cute. I think bunnies are fairly easy to sex, YouTube it. Just be careful, there are other "bunnies" in the biz

@ksane I'm glad you recognized the soft shell egg for what it was. I think we will all sleep better tonight. Seriously tho, I'm glad to see that image and explanation before potentially finding it in my own coop.

@bardies that conure story took a quick turn.
sad.png
that's really REALLY hard to understand. There were so many options left. Eek.
I know re the conure. I am glad that I was just peripheral to the whole thing - I cant imagine the anguish of the breeder. She was such a nice lady - I got one of my African greys from her....some 16 years ago...

@KyzmetteI'm partial to that little teddy bear bunny! But they're both cute. I think bunnies are fairly easy to sex, YouTube it. Just be careful, there are other "bunnies" in the biz

@bardies that conure story took a quick turn. :( that's really REALLY hard to understand. There were so many options left. Eek.
has anyone here been involved in parrot rescue?
It's truly tragic, and I can understand where the woman was coming from.

Back
Top Bottom