***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I am amazed at the attitude adjustment in my boy from Lorie @Loriemarler after his surgery from Poco, he has been integrated to the main flock, and seems to have fit in well, so well that when they were getting treats, one of the guineas dared to try to take it and he popped the guinea on the head! It was so funny! Now not only do the guineas have to be careful of the brahmas, who will just push them aside if they are in the way, this little guy is making a place for himself!

Got 15 of hotcurltr's cockerels picked up from her. I was going to practice caponizing on them because they're 4-8 months & I want practice on older ones. But they're sweet and they're beautiful. Some of them are bordering on flat-out gorgeous (how dare they). And I'm not sure I can risk their lives needlessly. Most would surely die because it's difficult to do older ones, I've never done the big ones.
We put the boys in a 55 x 65 yard with a huge tub of food and a kiddie pool of water.....and I made a deal with them, they all agreed-it's not just one sided. They can stay there in their yard and I'll feed them and take care of them as long as they get along. Whoever gets mean with the other boys will have to go on the surgery table.
And Mitzi will never ever again open her big mouth and offer to take in roosters to "practice caponizing on".

Thank you again. I'm sure they were scared after all they've been through lately. I was frantic, because they were pacing and not eating much, and they used to live to eat then the teenage thing hit them and they started breeding anything and fighting over them. We made a small emergency pen until I could build something else. Before then they were running around in a bigger space than the one u have them in. I am going to build a boy pen in my garden spot. I just got most of the suppllies s
Saturday at a going out of business sale. I was worried most about netting to go over the top and got that.; Thank u so much again My objective was not to have u feed a bunch more. But like I said before, I rather they were euthanized or put in the freezer as to suffer. I still have lots more, and you didn't get the really gorgeous ones, except for a couple.
hide.gif
If I can ever get all the stuff off the one u sent back, I think I'll keep him and have him caponized. They all pick on him cause he smells different, and I've bathed him. Just wait, the ugly duckling will be beautiful. I can send you the hatch dates, but the Welsummers are the oldest and they were hatched in early March, so I'm sorry I didn't send a few older ones. Most of the older ones weere already processed, but if you're only going to do a few now and then, they all be older

When Gary and I went to pick up the roos to process, we saw the ones set aside that you were going to get, Mitzi, and I told Gary on our way home, you were going to fall in love and have 15 extra boys in your bachelor yard!!!
lau.gif

I was worried about Diana, glad to hear she met up w/ you so she is doing okay.
I didn't even send her some of the real pretty ones. Some escaped, because my helper left the gate open, so it was a mess getting them rounded up again. I never even suspected she would keep them, I'll offer to take some back when I get the garden spot all finished. Glenn didn't help a whole lot much lately, but he was some help, but I can get someone to help me w/ the cover. It will just be a slow process for me, but I WILL get it done. She had to wait all day, and now I feel really bad, if she's just going to feed them. Not my intention at all. Abraham is doing great. He's still in w/ Velvet and the little silkie whatever. Poor guy hates quarantine, but I try to give him lots of treats. I might even go catch some bugs fo him LOL I'll PM you tomorow. Let me know when to bring the quilt blocks?

We got home from dinner out and I changed and went straight out to feed and water the flocks and lock every featherbutt in their pens and coops. I had not gathered eggs today either.
Since I got back inside, I've checked my phone and had a call from Diana. She didn't leave a message and it's probably too late to call her. Glad to hear she met Mitzi too. I was wondering how she has been healing since the surgery.
Sorry I didn't leave a message. I was thinking of picking up the girls, but changed my mind because of quarantine arrangements at this time, and it was late. I have auto feeders, but they like their fermented or wet feed in the evening. I'll send you pictures of the girls. Hannah is setting , so I took the eggs out and gave her golf balls. I'll have to gather some early eggs right away for her to set on. She's not even 8 months yet. I have no idea why she went broody so soon and young.
Yes, she did get a feathered legged one. One of Buffy's chicks . Buffy is Bantam Brahma by a LF Buff orpington. Not mine. So he's a little smaller. And I guess I didn't tell u but the boys are in Kass's freezer. It really broke my heart because I had made such pets out of them as babies. I had to pray long and hard, and since you didn't know if you could find them a home or have to process them, and then w/ all the things going on w/ you, I thought it best. I don't make friends w/ the chicks anymore until I know their sex or know they are staying or will be easy to find a good home for them. It's making it a little rough, because the young pullet chicks are wild and will have to be tamed later. Leg is healing slow. I forgot to put my wrap thing on it today, but it was bandaged so I guess that's ok. I realize some day I will have to process some for me, but how can I love so many of them, and separate my feelings on the freezer camp boys. It's not hard w/ the ducks as long a I don't have to do the killing. And muscovy ducks are so good, like pot roast. The geese will probably be impossible unless I can distance myself completely from the babies.
@BetsyOK I'm sorry to hear about your friend and brother. You never know, so that's why I've decided to take on the pet project w/ breed ing NN to different breeds. It sound crazy but I like eclectic flocks and most of the hens but a few of the C/W crosses and some I've raised will be pure. I need to send you a picture of a silkie I bought as a hen but is crowing. It doesn't have the walnut comb, but a small single. I'm thinging this might have been one he bred for a showgirl and it didn't get the NN. He said he had gotten several like that. I'll have to find him a home too, unless he'd be good to breed to showgirls. Anyway, I'll send you a picture. I keep telling everyone, I'll send pictures and don't because I think they turn out so bad. I'm just going to have to bite the bullet an send them anyway.

I am amazed at the attitude adjustment in my boy from Lorie @Loriemarler after his surgery from Poco, he has been integrated to the main flock, and seems to have fit in well, so well that when they were getting treats, one of the guineas dared to try to take it and he popped the guinea on the head! It was so funny! Now not only do the guineas have to be careful of the brahmas, who will just push them aside if they are in the way, this little guy is making a place for himself!

Wow, he's beautiful. HE MIGHT BE ONE i'D HAVE TO DIAPER AND BRING IN LOTS
love.gif

My Aunt is a registered Nurse and sent me this information in an email....she and her husband have been chicken folks in Missouri for years...and years. I found it interesting and will try it when the first opportunity arises...heaven forbid!
"A young man sprinkling his lawn and bushes with pesticides wanted to check the contents of the barrel to see how much pesticide remained in it. He raised the cover and lit his lighter; the vapors ignited and engulfed him. He jumped from his truck, screaming.

His neighbor came out of her house with a dozen eggs and a bowl yelling: "bring me some more eggs!"
She broke them, separating the whites from the yolks. The neighbor woman helped her to apply the whites onto the young man's face.
When the ambulance arrived and the EMTs saw the young man, they asked who had done this. Everyone pointed to the lady in charge.​
They congratulated her and said: "You have saved his face."
By the end of the summer, the young man brought the lady a bouquet of roses to thank her. His face was like a baby's skin.​
A Healing Miracle for Burns:

download
download
Keep in mind this treatment of burns is being included in teaching beginner fireman. First Aid consists of first spraying cold water on the affected area until the heat is reduced which stops the continued burning of all layers of the skin. Then, spread the egg whites onto the affected area.
One woman burned a large part of her hand with boiling water. In spite of the pain, she ran cold faucet water on her hand, separated 2 egg whites from the yolks, beat them slightly and dipped her hand in the solution. The whites then dried and formed a protective layer.
She later learned that the egg white is a natural collagen and continued during at least one hour to apply layer upon layer of beaten egg white. By afternoon she no longer felt any pain and the next day there was hardly a trace of the burn. 10 days later, no trace was left at all and her skin had regained its normal color. The burned area was totally regenerated thanks to the collagen in the egg whites, a placenta full of vitamins.
Since this information could be helpful to everyone: Will you please pass it on?​

Last edited:
My Aunt is a registered Nurse and sent me this information in an email....she and her husband have been chicken folks in Missouri for years...and years. I found it interesting and will try it when the first opportunity arises...heaven forbid!
"A young man sprinkling his lawn and bushes with pesticides wanted to check the contents of the barrel to see how much pesticide remained in it. He raised the cover and lit his lighter; the vapors ignited and engulfed him. He jumped from his truck, screaming.

His neighbor came out of her house with a dozen eggs and a bowl yelling: "bring me some more eggs!"
She broke them, separating the whites from the yolks. The neighbor woman helped her to apply the whites onto the young man's face.
When the ambulance arrived and the EMTs saw the young man, they asked who had done this. Everyone pointed to the lady in charge.​
They congratulated her and said: "You have saved his face."
By the end of the summer, the young man brought the lady a bouquet of roses to thank her. His face was like a baby's skin.​
A Healing Miracle for Burns:

download
download
Keep in mind this treatment of burns is being included in teaching beginner fireman. First Aid consists of first spraying cold water on the affected area until the heat is reduced which stops the continued burning of all layers of the skin. Then, spread the egg whites onto the affected area.
One woman burned a large part of her hand with boiling water. In spite of the pain, she ran cold faucet water on her hand, separated 2 egg whites from the yolks, beat them slightly and dipped her hand in the solution. The whites then dried and formed a protective layer.
She later learned that the egg white is a natural collagen and continued during at least one hour to apply layer upon layer of beaten egg white. By afternoon she no longer felt any pain and the next day there was hardly a trace of the burn. 10 days later, no trace was left at all and her skin had regained its normal color. The burned area was totally regenerated thanks to the collagen in the egg whites, a placenta full of vitamins.
Since this information could be helpful to everyone: Will you please pass it on?​

Wow that is awesome, I'll have to remember that for myself, wouldn't be able to use it at work though.

Back
Top Bottom