***OKIES in the BYC III ***

ROFL I KNOW you have me beat on Roosters.

You only count the ones that are of laying age and have names, right?  Seramas don't count, they live in the house.  Roosters don't count because they don't lay eggs.  Chicks don't count either, they are peeps, not chickens!  So i'd say you're doing pretty good! 

Layers is what I have the least of....So technically I'm about out of chickens again.
Dang it, this is why I try to stay away from you people :hugs

Jeansrie, in addition to bathing and combing, most trim and file nails and beaks if they need it. We also generally take our "grooming kits" to the shows so we can clean off any poo and comb out to make them look better. We also use a Q-tip and put VetRX on their beaks, legs and feet. It makes them look cleaner, but also apparently gives them some slight protection from things they might breathe in (at least that's what I was told).

I wonder if we know the same two people, including a junior that will be showing?

I remember meeting you, but won't guarantee I'll recognize you when I see you!

Looking forward to it.

I'm bringing only a young paint showgirl roo and maybe a young paint hen to sell. I've cut down to the point that I haven't anything else I need to sell, unless chicks hatch in the next couple of days.

Last edited:
Rinda, yes, it is difficult to find the veins in that black skin. I really appreciate my tester (he's done my birds for a number of years) and he additionally swabs for Avian Influenza, so it is helpful to know for certain the flock is clean. They have found AI in the U.S. fairly recently. I think in the Pacific NW. The concern is that water fowl will spread it on their fly routes as they migrate back and forth.

I am in awe of your testing your birds by yourself! That's quite a job. How many guineas must you test?

KYZMETTE, I sympathize with what you're going through with your mother. Mom didn't do things like that, but there was a lot else to put up with! Stay strong!

Last edited:
Yes, a raccoon is heavy enough to set off a snap trap and as it moves around, can also set off a second. We have even caught a marauding owl in a snap trap as it landed to check out the inside of an outdoor coop protected by a wire front.

Kassaundra...good to see you back on this week! Did you get the Superman hat finished for your nephew?

A shout out to Okla-Doodle-Doo! He sent me a PM last week and said he had been out with health and family problems. While he sold all his birds and critters, he is now in a better position to begin getting a few more. Should be seeing more of him now.

DGibson...sure hope your tests went well and that Johnnie's were good too. You both are in our prayers.

Getting ready to run to town for chicken feed...filled all of the feeders inside and gave the daily portions to the outdoor pens. We have eggs in the hatcher due on the 19/20th and eggs in the incubator that have been candled or not ready to candle....Little Joe is getting to be a huge calf. He is now 8 weeks old and goes thru two bottles at each feeding...and then loves his daily brushing. Hubby teases I'm supposed to lick him like his momma would...
sickbyc.gif
. We converted one of my outdoor coops into a loafing shed for him. He loves to be outside on these beautiful days and runs and bucks around the pen. I need to start my tomatoes and peppers in pots this week, but taxes are calling too. Our tax rep sent insturctions to her clients that with all the reg changes for this year, to get the prep files to her before March 20 in order to not have to file an extension. Hope everyone has a lovely day.

Thanks, I've missed the byc and okie thread, partly I've had life to interfere and partly computer issues.

I may have an issue developing in my hand tonight. I was trying to figure out gender of some of the grow out rabbits today for deciding who was going to freezer camp. One of them scratched my hand. The scratch isn't bad, but it is disproportionately painful for it's size. Wonder if rabbits have any issues like cat scratch infection issues? Guess time will tell.

I may have an issue developing in my hand tonight.  I was trying to figure out gender of some of the grow out rabbits today for deciding who was going to freezer camp.  One of them scratched my hand.  The scratch isn't bad, but it is disproportionately painful for it's size.  Wonder if rabbits have any issues like cat scratch infection issues?  Guess time will tell.

They do. Put neosporin on it right away. I've got chicken and rabbit scratches up and down both arms though and never had a problem.

They do. Put neosporin on it right away. I've got chicken and rabbit scratches up and down both arms though and never had a problem.

That is what I was afraid of. I have been scratched plenty of times both rabbits and cats w/o a problem, but this one is just not normal. I really hope I am just being a big wienie

Back
Top Bottom