***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Wild onions are best in the Spring and look like a stand of chives. Traditionally they are prized ny the Indian tribes and it is a spring tradition to hunt, dig and prepare them in the spring. They are peeled...tedious process. The greens are usually chopped and cooked with the bulblets with a little bacon fat until tender and the cooking juices reduced to almost none. Then eggs are scrambled and cooked with the onion. We call the dish crow.
Walking onions or winter onions are known as Egyption onions also. They are much larger than wild onions. The actual walking onion is 2 to 3 inches long and 1 to 2 inches in diameter similar in shape to a shallot. These can be pulled and stored but are extremely hot. They spread by the .5 to 1 inch bulblets that form on the flower stem. It becomes heavy as the bulblets grow causing the stem to bend over to the ground. This is where the name walking onions originates. We have had them for years. We usually pull out the older plants in the fall. We collect the bigger bulblets and plant them in rows in the garden. The plants are very tender in the spring and we cut them just like green onions. In the early fall, new onion emerge staying green until winter. The plants are very tender in the spring and we cut them just like green onions. I'll try to get a picture in the morning.

That is exactly what we have thought hers were the same but now that I look at them they are rounder than what I have

Day 12 and I candled just because I was bored lol. Movement in every single one of the eggs that have made it this far. Dry dry incubation seems to be going great! All the ones I've pulled have been infertile or very early quitters. Haven't had any quit since last time I candled at day 7. Wooowhoooo!! :)

Day 12 and I candled just because I was bored lol. Movement in every single one of the eggs that have made it this far. Dry dry incubation seems to be going great! All the ones I've pulled have been infertile or very early quitters. Haven't had any quit since last time I candled at day 7. Wooowhoooo!!
smile.png

I think our hatches are due nearly the same time, today is day 13 for our eggs.

Hope everyone made it thru the rains last night with no flooding in your pens. SW Okla sure needed that good drink of water!.
Our ponds are near to overflowing and will before Tuesday if we get more than the 1/10 of an inch we got last night.

We worked in the garden yesterday cleaning out the 20 x 16 foot bed. The horse and cow compost we added last fall has really enriched the soil and it was teeming with worms. Made five beds 16 feet long with a 1 foot path between them. Planted squash and pumpkin in the 4 foot wide bed ans sprinkled in a little dill and some radishes. the other beds are 3 foot wide. One has a 16 foot long cattle panel in it. that is where the elderberries are permanent. They are tied up to the panel for additional support...lots of new plants this year. At the one end we planted cucumbers to climb up the panel. The other three beds have peanuts, okra, and then bush squash and cantalope.
We set out more peppers and a few more tomatoes in the remaining spots in the 4 x 16 foot beds.
Now I begin the process of weeding and mulching with compost to insure that every bed will be pretty much weed free for the summer.

This morning I moved 13 eggsdue 4/29 to the hatcher, moved week old chicks to the brooder in the hot tub room, moved 2 week old chicks to Mandy and other broody hens in the barn. I kept the tiny bantam and Seramas in the brood box in the guest room until the eggs hatch. Will then move them all to the brooder in the hot tub room so Roger will only have that brooder to tend while I'm gone for a week.

So looking forward to seeing my brother and sister from California and my sister from Norman for some quality sibling time. We lost our mother in 1990 and now we try to get together at least every other year for bonding and marathon bridge games. We like to make day trips too. Usually we have gone out of state, but this year we are going to Sulphur and do some fishing and rock hounding. We are staying at the Artesian Hotel.

So, yesterday, I'm out in the barnyard, doing my chores, and observing the chickens. A nice, pleasant way to spend a beautiful afternoon. I have a couple of Roos, who really need to work on their crowing, as it is very weak, at best. But, while seated atop the Golden Lakenvelder's tractor coop, of Little Joe, Reba, Tammy and Patsy (Little Joe has the weakest crow of them all), I hear a barely audible crow, coming from the main layer pen. I do have some 11 or so week old pullets in there, and some certainly appear to be cockerels, but, they are all still small enough, to squeeze out and free range by day. So, I started paying close attention, to the flock, and noticed the little Cream Legbar pullet, that I picked up from Rinda, when I got those two EE cockerels from Kyzmette. She was standing just as proud as can be, perched on a smallish limb, trying her best to crow. Not very loud, and had I not been out there amongst them, I never would have noticed. But, I just thought it was too cute. There are no saddle feathers, AND I have Rinda'a assurance that she is a she, so, I just find it cute as can be, that I have a little pullet, who is trying HER darnedest, to crow, with the big boys.
Crow on, Creamy. Crow on. We certainly don't mind.

Back
Top Bottom