***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Just when you think you got it, you find this:

is the same as this, which is on the last page of the Durvet page, but it has no dosing info:

The above powders are 75% oxytetracyline, I think!

-Kathy

You need to get the concentration information from the container you are using. The medicine can be in different concentrations for different uses, the only concentration that matters is on the package you are using.

You need to get the concentration information from the container you are using. The medicine can be in different concentrations for different uses, the only concentration that matters is on the package you are using.
True... so many medications come in many concentrations, and people seem to have trouble understanding this. Liquid enrofloxacin (Baytril) is a good example, it sold as 2.27%, 2.5%, 5% and 10%.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Finally got a frizzled showgirl, I think it's a keeper!!
1f495.png

Antibiotic question:

I have a package that is 181.5g or 6.4oz, says the package contains 10 grams of oxytetracycline HCI. ON the back the dosage is as follows:

Infectious Synovitis: 200-400mg/gal
Chronic Respiratory Disease: 400-800mg/gal
Fowl cholera: 400-800mg/gal

Beside the "Dosage" info it says,
5-10 Packets/2 gallons Stock solution
10-20 ""
10-20 ""
Respectively to the above "Dosage" info.

So, do I really dump 5 181.5g packets into 2 gallons???

It seems a lot! The lady at the feed store said she puts "a pinch per quart" *sighs*

For the record, math IS my weakest suit.

HELP!

PS: Jeansrie, that is one adorable chick! :)

*edited to correct typo

Last edited:
Antibiotic question:

I have a package that is 181.5g or 6.4oz, says the package contains 10 grams of oxytetracycline HCI. ON the back the dosage is as follows:

Infectious Synovitis: 200-400mg/gal
Chronic Respiratory Disease: 400-800mg/gal
Fowl cholera: 400-800mg/gal

Beside the "Dosage" info it says,
5-10 Packets/2 gallons Stock solution
10-20 ""
10-20 ""
Respectively to the above "Dosage" info.

So, do I really dump 5 181.5g packets into 2 gallons???

It seems a lot! The lady at the feed store said she puts "a pinch per quart" *sighs*

For the record, math IS my weakest suit.

HELP!

PS: Jeansrie, that is one adorable chick!
smile.png

*edited to correct typo
That is the 5.5% stuff.

Have not verified this yet, but I think the dose will be very close to:
800 mg = 1 tablespoon per gallon
400 mg = 1.5 teaspoons per gallon
200 mg = 3/4 teaspoon per gallon

-Kathy

Last edited:
That is the 5.5% stuff. 

Have not verified this yet, but I think the dose will be very close to:
800 mg = 1 tablespoon per gallon
400 mg = 1.5 teaspoons per gallon
200 mg = 3/4 teaspoons per gallon

-Kathy

Ooooh, thank you! ! *muah muah, hugs, hugs* That helps tremendously & I'm not going to start it til tonight or tomorrow, so there's time to verify.

I have been battling sneezy chickens for about 6wks, thought it was a virus due to wild fowl. They cleared up on their own with me monitoring them daily. This is different though because a couple of the girls definitely sound congested and "raspy", which to me is indicative of respiratory infection. I just feel this is probably my best course of action.

The only drawback is egg withdrawal. My girls give me 18-23/24 eggs a day!

A few pictures.. A Delaware Bantam hen with month old chicks. [COLOR=B42000] Ying and Yang with some of their chicks...they would love to be on the floor, but there are juveniles that need to go out as soon as pens dry out first. They successfully brooded together in their pen and are vigilant mothers. [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR=B42000] Miranda's temporary pen...on the dirt floor in the hen house and then her with her 24 chicks. She was a rooster favorite thus the bare back, but her chicks don't seem to mind it and she will recover her plumage when she molts. [/COLOR=B42000]
Did she hatch all 24? Jack has a flock of LF Delawares now. They sure are pretty birds, and great layers. Bantams must be absolutely adorable.
No, she didn't hatch any of them. She was broody when the chicks hatched in the incubator. She was sitting on a smooth rock in that corner of the hen house. I made her the pen and when she continued to sit on the rock, I slipped half of the 4 day old chicks in under her at night and gave her the rest early the next morning. Don Gibson got me started on the Bantam Delaware. They are really a great breed.
Hey, OklaDoodleDoo...here are some of the flowers you should soon see fromsome of those seed: Pink, Purple, Red Carnation Poppy...I think it is my favorite.
If you're giving out seeds could you put me on the list for some carnation poppies? They are beautiful!!
Pm me your address and I can sen you some seed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom